Wednesday, July 26, 2017

REVIEW: Blame It On the Duke by Lenora Bell

Blame It on the Duke (The Disgraceful Dukes, #3)
TITLE: Blame It On the Duke
AUTHOR(S): Lenora Bell
SERIES: Disgraceful Dukes #3

GENRE:
Historical Romance
PUBLISHER: Avon
PUBLICATION DATE: April 18, 2017
FORMAT: eARC
SOURCE: Avon Addicts
LENGTH: 384 pages
DATE READ: April 16, 2017

CHARACTER ARCHETYPES: Wallflower Heroine, Tortured Hero
TROPES: Marriage of Convenience, Opposites Attract

RATING: 4 STARS  
SUMMARY:

Have you heard?
The future Duke of Barrington has just been gambled away by his father. To an heiress!
The delicious details thus far...

Nicolas, Lord Hatherly, never intended to marry—nor add to the “mad” Hatherly line—but now he must honor his father’s debt to a social-climbing merchant or lose the family estate.

A notoriously wild marquess, won by her father at a game of cards, is the very last thing Miss Alice Tombs wants. She’s spent the last three seasons repelling suitors in spectacular fashion so she’d be at liberty to explore the world. She’ll just have to drive this one away as well.

Until Nick proposes an utterly tempting arrangement: one summer together to prove the legitimacy of their union, then Alice is free to travel while Nick revels in the time he has left before the Hatherly Madness takes hold.

It will be easy to walk away after a few months of make-believe wedded bliss—won’t it? Alice and Nick are about to find out...one sultry night at a time.

This ought to be fun . . .
MY THOUGHTS: 

Why I Read It...
I liked the first two books in the series and received an advanced copy from Avon via the Avon Addicts Program.

What I Liked...
1. The hero got "gambled away" rather than the heroine.  Nice change of pace.

2. I am a sucker for the marriage of convenience trope so I was sold from the beginning.  I love seeing couples have to navigate the normal issues with marriage along with getting to know one another.

3. The heroine was awesome with her intellect, determination, and kindness.  I found her tactics to sabotage her mother's efforts to get her married off were funny and I understood why she took those steps.

4. I loved the hero's off-kilter servants and his mad, but sweet father.  These side characters helped make the story more entertaining.

5. I appreciated the way the author handled the hero's fear of going insane.  There was a great deal of respect for his father's condition.  I also liked that there was not a guarantee the same thing wouldn't happen to the hero.  It gave the story a more realistic feel.

What I Didn't Like...
1. The plot is pretty packed and got a little too chaotic towards the end.  I wanted the book to concentrate more on Nick and Alice's relationship than the external conflicts.

2. I expected more sexiness especially with the plot point involving the Kama Sutra translation.

Would I Recommend It...
Yes, because I found it to be fun, romantic, and engaging.  I adore Lenora Bell's writing style and I need Lear, Forester, and Patrick's stories now!

BOOKS IN THE SERIES:

How the Duke Was Won (The Disgraceful Dukes, #1) If I Only Had a Duke (The Disgraceful Dukes, #2) Blame It on the Duke (The Disgraceful Dukes, #3)

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer!!! I am giving you a big hug over the Internets!!!!

    This book looks like so much fun. I also love a good marriage of convenience. And I love that the hero was gambled away. I'm adding this to my TBR right away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wonderful review Jennifer!!!

    I read the first book and loved it so much.

    I do like that the hero was the one auctioned off, I don't think I have ever seen that. Its always the heroine where that tends to happen. And some kama sutra aspects too?? Makes me even more excited to grab this one up.

    Lovely review.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.