Friday, July 28, 2017

MINI-REVIEWS: Jennifer McQuiston, Nalini Singh, Sarina Bowen, Sabrina Jeffries

Moonlight On My Mind (Second Sons, #3)
Moonlight On My Mind (Second Sons #3) by Jennifer McQuiston
Historical Romance
Avon -- March 25, 2014

RATING: 4 STARS
To ruin a man’s life once takes a regrettable mistake.

To do so twice takes a woman like Julianne Baxter.

Eleven months ago, Julianne’s statement to the authorities wrongly implicated Patrick, the new Earl of Haversham, in his older brother’s death. The chit is as much trouble as her red hair suggests, and just as captivating. Now she has impetuously tracked him to the wilds of Scotland, insisting that he return home to face a murder charge and save his family from ruin. A clandestine wedding may be the only way to save her reputation—and his neck from the hangman’s noose.

Julianne has no objection to the match. More and more she’s convinced of Patrick’s innocence, though when it comes to igniting her passions, the man is all too guilty. And if they can only clear his name, a marriage made in haste could bring about the most extraordinary pleasure…

I thought Moonlight On My Mind was very engaging and is my favorite of the series.  Both protagonists had some growing up to do and I thought their development was well-written.  I especially liked Julianne who showed a lot of determination to right a wrong.  Regarding Patrick, he is one of my favorite types of heroes: gruff, but hiding a soft, gooey center.  I really liked the tidbits the author threw in about veterinary medicine. I also thought the mystery element was intriguing and provided a good balance for the romance.

***********

Rock Wedding (Rock Kiss, #4)
Rock Wedding (Rock Kiss #4) by Nalini Singh
Contemporary Romance
TKA Distribution --July 19, 2016

RATING: 3.5 STARS
After a lifetime of longing for a real family, Sarah Smith thought she’d finally found her home with rock star Abe Bellamy, even if she knew Abe didn’t love her the way she loved him. But their brief relationship, filled with tragedy and heartache, nearly destroyed her. Alone, emotions in turmoil, and already shaky self-esteem shattered, Sarah struggles to pick up the pieces in the wake of their divorce.

Abe knows he’s to blame for the end of his marriage. Caught in a web of painful memories, he pushed away the best thing in his life – the sexy, smart woman he adores – breaking them both in the process. Then fate throws him a second chance to get things right, to prove to Sarah that she means everything to him. Abe desperately wants that second chance at love...even if he knows he doesn’t deserve it.

But can he convince Sarah – now strong and independent without him – to risk her wounded heart one more time?
I loved Sarah and admired her determination to keep going even when her life got turned around.  Abe was likable by the end, but his actions at the beginning really made it difficult.  I'm still not a hundred percent sure he groveled enough, but that may just be my personal issue.  I was not the biggest fan of the situation that "forced" Sarah and Abe to give their relationship another try either.  Loved seeing the other Rock Kiss couples interacting and being so awesome.  I'm really excited to read about Gabriel's brothers now!

***********


Rookie Move (Brooklyn Bruisers, #1)Rookie Move (Brooklyn Bruisers #1) by Sarina Bowen
Contemporary Romance
Berkley -- September 6, 2016

RATING: 3.75 STARS

In high school they were the perfect couple—until the day Georgia left Leo in the cold...

Hockey player Leo Trevi has spent the last six years trying to do two things: get over the girl who broke his heart, and succeed in the NHL. But on the first day he’s called up to the newly franchised Brooklyn Bruisers, Leo gets checked on both sides, first by the team’s coach—who has a long simmering grudge, and then by the Bruisers’ sexy, icy publicist—his former girlfriend Georgia Worthington.

Saying goodbye to Leo was one of the hardest things Georgia ever had to do—and saying hello again isn’t much easier. Georgia is determined to keep their relationship strictly professional, but when a press conference microphone catches Leo declaring his feelings for her, things get really personal, really fast....

I love Sarina Bowen's hockey books!  I remember Leo from his brother's book, The Fifteenth Minute, and enjoyed seeing him get his happy ending.  Reunited lovers is always a fun trope for me and I thought Georgia/Leo's story was engaging and sweet.  I also enjoyed the elements surrounding their various duties within the Brooklyn Bruisers organization.  I did feel like the plot slowed down towards the middle, but the ending was worth the mini-struggle.

***********


The Pleasures of Passion (Sinful Suitors, #4)The Pleasures of Passion (Sinful Suitors #4) by Sabrina Jeffries
Historical Romance
Pocket Books -- June 20, 2017

RATING: 3.5 STARS
When Niall Lindsey, the Earl of Margrave, is forced to flee after killing a man in a duel, he expects his secret love, Brilliana Trevor, to go with him, or at the very least wait for him. To his shock, she does neither and sends him off with no promise for the future. Seven years and one pardon later, Niall returns to England disillusioned and cynical. And being blackmailed by the government into working with his former love to help catch a counterfeiter connected to her father doesn’t improve his mood any. But as his role as Brilliana’s fake fiancĂ© brings his long-buried feelings to the surface once again, he wonders who is more dangerous—the counterfeiter or the woman rapidly stealing his heart.

Forced to marry another man after Niall was exiled, the now widowed Brilliana wants nothing to do with the reckless rogue who she believes abandoned her to a dreary, loveless life. So having to rely on him to save her father is the last thing she wants, much less trusts him with....But as their scheme strips away the lies and secrets of their shared past, can she let go of the old hurt and put her pride aside? Or will the pleasures of their renewed passion finally enable them both to rediscover love?
I liked the hero and loved the heroine.  Second chance romances can be hit or miss depending on the reason for the couple's separation.  Miscommunication was a problem for these two and, even though I understood their various reasons, it did get annoying especially towards the end.  The counterfeit mystery was a decent side story though I thought the villain was obvious.  I enjoyed seeing the little tidbits of Edwin and Clarissa since they are my favorite couple of the series so far.  While this book wasn't perfect, it was entertaining as all of Sabrina Jeffries's books are for me.

1 comment:

  1. I really most of these....I did think that Jennifer McQuiston's book was delightful when I read it.

    I recently read Sabrina Jeffrie's book, and really had a blast with it, I think its my favorite of the series, and even though its not the best of her books, I still enjoyed it quite a bit.

    Lovely mini reviews you have here.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.