Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Wednesday, January 11, 2017

MINI-REVIEWS: Nalini Singh, Jenny Holiday, Jill Shalvis


Archangel's Heart (Guild Hunter, #9)Archangel's Heart (Guild Hunter #9) by Nalini Singh
Urban Fantasy 
Berkley --November 1, 2016

RATING: 4 STARS

One of the most vicious archangels in the world has disappeared. No one knows if Lijuan is dead or has chosen to Sleep the long sleep of an immortal. But with her lands falling into chaos under a rising tide of vampiric bloodlust, a mysterious and ancient order of angels known as the Luminata calls the entire Cadre together to discuss the fate of her territory.

Accompanying her archangelic lover Raphael to the Luminata compound, guild hunter-turned-angel Elena senses that all is not as it seems. Secrets echo from within the stone walls of the compound, and the deeper Elena goes, the uglier the darkness. But neither Raphael nor Elena is ready for the brutal truths hidden within—truths that will change everything Elena thinks she knows about who she is…

Nothing will ever be the same again.


I love this series and was happy to see the focus shift back to Elena and Raphael.  I find all the characters in this world fascinating, but the main couple has a special place in my heart.  This particular installment shows the Cadre dealing with the disappearance of one of their own and how that affects the power stability of the world.  I find the political aspect of this series to be a highlight and this book definitely focuses on that.  I thought the whole premise of the Luminata and whether they were hiding something was interesting.  I will admit that I did feel like the story got bogged down towards the middle and there wasn't much action.  Thankfully, Nalini Singh is a goddess and the story righted itself very quickly.  I'm definitely on pins and needles waiting for the next installment...especially because I want more Illium!

***********


His Heart's Revenge (49th Floor, #4)His Heart's Revenge (49th Floor #4) by Jenny Holiday
Contemporary Romance (M/M)
Entangled -- June 20, 2016

RATING: 4 STARS

Twenty years ago, I was too smart and too poor to be cool. Now I’m laughing my way to the bank—the bank I’m CEO of. Nothing can touch me. Except maybe him.

We met at summer camp. We made out under the stars. Then he stabbed me in the back. They say revenge is a dish best served cold. But I’m gonna go with hot.

Alexander Evangelista is a millionaire with all the trappings: houses all over the world and hot guys lined up whenever he’s in need of some no-strings-attached company. He's on his way to world domination.

A CEO in his own right, Cary Bell is competing for a major client with his boyhood crush. He’s never forgiven himself for betraying Alex. But with his professional reputation on the line, he’s going to have to find his inner cutthroat if he wants his new company to succeed.

Alex isn’t about to let his nemesis steal a client out from under him. It’s time to break Cary’s company—and his heart.


This was such a fun, sexy read!  Jenny Holiday's writing style is quick and vivacious which works so well for my current mood.  Both heroes were well-developed and I empathized with their individual plights.  I thought their character journeys felt organic and were entertaining.  Also, the scenes between them were full of so much tension and I loved every minute of it.  There is nothing like sexy, smart, successful men dealing with emotions they don't want to have with the one person they can't resist.  The cameos from the other 49th Floor couples were fun and didn't take away from the main storyline.  I can't wait to see what Jenny Holiday does next.

I received a free e-ARC of this book from Entangled Publishing via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

***********


One Snowy Night (Heartbreaker Bay, #2.5)
One Snowy Night (Heartbreaker Bay #2.5) by Jill Shalvis
Contemporary Romance
Avon Impulse -- November 8, 2016

RATING: 3 STARS

It’s Christmas Eve and Rory Andrews is desperate to get home to the family she hasn’t seen in years. Problem is, her only ride to Lake Tahoe comes in the form of the annoyingly handsome Max Stranton, and his big, goofy, lovable dog Carl.

Hours stuck in a truck with the dead sexy Max sounds like a fate worse than death (not), but Rory’s out of options. She’s had a crush on Max since high school and she knows he’s attracted to her, too. But they have history… and Max is the only one who knows why it went south.

They’ve done a good job of ignoring their chemistry so far, but a long road trip in a massive blizzard might be just what they need to face their past… and one steamy, snowy night is all it takes to bring Max and Rory together at last.


Rory was such a fascinating character in The Trouble with Mistletoe and I was happy to see her get a story.  I thought this novella was a sweet, easy holiday read with plenty of themes that I enjoy like reunited from childhood and road/cabin romance.  Plus there are adorable dog antics to help break up the tension of driving through a blizzard.  I do feel like the page length forced the character development to be weak and the romance aspect happened very quickly.  The author tried to deal with that by having them know each other beforehand, but I'm not sure it worked for me.  Still it was a pleasant way to spend a winter afternoon.

I received a free e-copy of this book from Avon via the Avon Addicts Program in exchange for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.