Thursday, November 17, 2016

REVIEW: "The Debutante is Mine" by Vivienne Lorret

The Debutante Is Mine (Season's Original, #1)
TITLE: The Debutante is Mine
AUTHOR(S): Vivienne Lorret
SERIES: The Season's Original #1

GENRE: Historical Romance
PUBLISHER: Avon Impulse
PUBLICATION DATE: April 12, 2016
FORMAT: Ebook
SOURCE: Purchased on Amazon
LENGTH: 288 pages
DATE READ: October 2016

READING CHALLENGES: 2016 Pick Your Genre Reading Challenge; 2016 New To You Reading Challenge

CHARACTER ARCHETYPES: Beta Hero, Tormented Heroine

TROPES: Class Differences, Forbidden Love, Female Friendships, Makeover

RATING: 3.5 STARS

SUMMARY:
From the Season Standard: “A true Season’s Original embodies the class, grace, and style of the ton. Such an honor ensures the recipient her pick of eligible suitors…”

Lilah Appleton’s prospects are looking dim. With one last chance to find a titled husband before she’s forced to wed her wretched cousin, she must make this Season count. Plain, forgettable Lilah must become the Season’s Original. Desperate, she seeks help from the devilishly charming, untitled, and thoroughly unsuitable Jack Marlowe. All she must do now is resist the tempting rogue…

Bastard son and self-made man, Jack Marlowe loathes the aristocracy. When he meets Lilah, he expects her to be like all the other greedy husband-hunters. But she’s far more dangerous. Her alluring smiles and sharp tongue intrigue him. Before he knows it, he agrees to help her find a husband, revealing tricks to ensnare any man. The only problem is, his plan works too well—on him.

When Lilah becomes the belle of the ball, Jack realizes he may lose her forever—unless he can take a chance on love and claim his debutante... 
MY THOUGHTS: 

Why I Read It...

I first heard about this book through Anna's awesome review over at Herding Cats, Burning Soup.  Vivienne Lorret is a new-to-me author and I thought the premise was interesting.

What I Liked About It...

1. Lilah has had a rough time in Society so far and knows that this Season is her last chance.  Desperation makes her take chances and I think her character becomes more interesting when she starts to gain confidence.  I really liked her determination and kind nature.  I wanted her to be happy which makes it easier to keep reading.

2. Jack is also a likable character I wanted good things for.  His illegitimacy has shaped who he is, but I appreciated that he did not take it out on everyone.  I loved the fact that he fell for Lilah early on and was willing to do anything to make sure she got what she wanted.  And yeah for self-made heroes!!

3. The romance was very cute and, thankfully, not bogged down by too many external conflicts.  Readers get to see two wonderful people find one another and figure out how to end up together.  The "makeover" and "lessons in love" theme are always going to attract me to a book and Ms. Lorret used them well here.

4. Female friendship for the win!  I am seeking out romances with well-written friendships more and more these days and The Debutante is Mine helped me out with that goal.

What I Disliked About It...

1. Though this is the first book in the Season's Original series, there is a prequel novella in the All I Want for Christmas is a Duke anthology.  The novella includes a subplot that carries on to this book which I was not aware of until it randomly showed up in the story.  It did not ruin the reading experience for me, but I did find myself confused regarding that subplot.

2. The beginning was very slow and I thought about putting the book down a few times.  Thankfully, I stuck with it and ended up enjoying the rest.  I don't have much more to say regarding this aspect, but thought I needed to mention it.

3. There is a "twist" towards the end that I saw coming from the start.  While I understand why the author made the choice, I found myself wishing that things had not been tied up so neatly.  I don't think the story needed it to be a successful romance.

Would I Recommend It...

Yes, but I do want to make sure future readers are aware of the few shortcomings.  It was a sweet story with likable people, but not the most original historical romance I've ever read.  I am interested enough to think about trying the rest of the series someday.

BOOKS IN THE SERIES:


All I Want for Christmas Is a Duke The Debutante Is Mine (Season's Original, #1) This Earl is on Fire (Season's Original #2) When a Marquess Loves a Woman (Season's Original #3)

3 comments:

  1. Avon sent me this book, but I still haven't read it. As I've mentioned before, I'm incredibly picky about historical romance, and I'm afraid this one might bother me a bit. But it's not very long, and you did enjoy it in the end, so maybe I will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got this book, at a book signing, so I am looking forward to reading it. Good to know it starts slow though. I always like to know that beforehand otherwise it can be more difficult to read sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw I'm sorry to see it wasn't a total win for you. I read it without the prequel novella and can't for the life of me remember a random subplot for it. I'll have to go back and re-read at some point I think. lol

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.