Monday, September 19, 2016

REVIEW: "A Scot in the Dark" by Sarah MacLean


A Scot in the Dark (Scandal & Scoundrel #2)
TITLE: A Scot in the Dark
AUTHOR(S): Sarah MacLean
SERIES: Scandal & Scoundrel #2

GENRE: Historical Romance -- Regency England
PUBLISHER: Avon
PUBLICATION DATE: August 30, 2016
FORMAT: Mass Market Paperback
SOURCE: Publisher/Avon Addicts Program
LENGTH: 352 pages
DATE READ: August 2016

READING CHALLENGES: 2016 Pick Your Genre Reading Challenge 

THEMES/TROPES: Guardian/Ward, Big Secret, Beta Hero, Scandalous Heroine, Communication Issues

RATING: 3.5 STARS

SUMMARY:

Lonesome Lily Turned Scandalous Siren
Miss Lillian Hargrove has lived much of her life alone in a gilded cage, longing for love and companionship. When an artist offers her pretty promises and begs her to pose for a scandalous portrait, Lily doesn't hesitate...until the lying libertine leaves her in disgrace. With the painting now public, Lily has no choice but to turn to the one man who might save her from ruin.
Highland Devil turned Halfhearted Duke
The Duke of Warnick loathes all things English, none more so than the aristocracy. It does not matter that the imposing Scotsman has inherited one of the most venerable dukedoms in Britain—he wants nothing to do with it, especially when he discovers that the unwanted title comes with a troublesome ward, one who is far too old and far too beautiful to be his problem.
Tartan Comes to Town
Warnick arrives in London with a single goal: get the chit married and see her become someone else's problem, then return to a normal, quiet life in Scotland. It's the perfect plan, until Lily declares she'll only marry for love...and the Scot finds that there is one thing in England he likes far too much...

MY THOUGHTS (in 5 points): 

1. I liked the way that Sarah MacLean took the inspiration of the sex tape scandals of Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian and made it into an entertaining Regency plot point.  I felt really bad for Lily, but I admired her strength when it came to reacting to the future reveal of the portrait.

2. Alec is the titular Scot and I liked his character.  I have a huge weakness for Scottish heroes and I found him to be interesting.  He did have a few too many "I'm not worthy" moments for my personal taste though I understand why he had those thoughts.

3. I thoroughly enjoyed the first half of this book which involved Lily and Alec meeting and trying to reconcile their guardian/ward relationship with their growing attraction.  I think the plot got away from the author towards the end.  There was a lot going on and I felt like it took away from the main romance.

4. I got a little irritated with the lack of communication between Lily and Alec in the latter half.  Alec has this Big Secret that he didn't want to reveal and it took forever for the truth to come out.  There were also instances where some of their issues would have been avoided if they had just talked to one another.

5. I enjoyed the cameos from the Talbot sisters from The Rogue Not Taken with the scandalous Sesily stealing every scene she was in.  I am excited that MacLean will be returning to this family with next year's The Day of the Duchess featuring Seraphina and her estranged husband.

BOOKS IN THE SERIES:


The Rogue Not Taken (Scandal & Scoundrel, #1) A Scot in the Dark (Scandal & Scoundrel #2)

3 comments:

  1. I know I've said this many times before, but for whatever reason Sarah MacLean's books don't work that much for me. I love her as a person and as a champion of romance, because YAY ROMANCE! But I've given up on her books. Well, if one comes out that has a synopsis that really just hits all my spots, then I will read it, but otherwise, no.

    However, I'm glad you did enjoy this, even if it wasn't AMAZING. Big Secrets and lack of communication drive me BONKERS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore her books. Three of them are in my top romances of all time for sure. But I felt pretty much 100% with you on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really struggled with The Rogue Not Taken, so I am waiting on this one from the library and I have been slowly losing interest in her work lately.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.