Monday, September 5, 2016

AUDIOBOOK REVIEW: "Something About You" by Julie James


Something About You (FBI/US Attorney, #1)
TITLE: Something About You
AUTHOR(S): Julie James
NARRATOR: Karen White
SERIES: FBI/U.S. Attorney #1

GENRE: Contemporary Romance
PUBLISHER: Berkley Sensation
PUBLICATION DATE: March 2010
FORMAT: Audiobook
SOURCE: Audible
LENGTH: 10 hours and 3 minutes
DATE READ: August 2016

READING CHALLENGES: 2016 Pick Your Genre Reading Challenge

THEMES/TROPES:
Enemies to Lovers, Second Chance At Love, Revenge Plot, Mystery, Alpha Hero

RATING: 4.25 STARS

SUMMARY:
Of all the hotel rooms rented by all the adulterous politicians in Chicago, female Assistant U.S. Attorney Cameron Lynde had to choose the one next to 1308, where some hot-and-heavy lovemaking ends with a death. And of all the FBI agents in Illinois, it had to be Special Agent Jack Pallas who gets assigned to this high-profile homicide. The same Jack Pallas who still blames Cameron for a botched crackdown three years ago—and for nearly ruining his career.
Work with Cameron Lynde? Are they kidding? Maybe, Jack thinks, this is some kind of welcome-back prank after his stint away from Chicago. But it's no joke; the pair is going to have to put their rocky past behind them and focus on the case at hand. That is, if they can cut back on the razor-sharp jibes—and smother the flame of their sizzling-hot sexual tension.
MY THOUGHTS:
Julie James's contemporaries (with Karen White as narrator) are definitely going to be my audiobook binge of 2016.  I had a great time with Just the Sexiest Man Alive so I had to try another soon.  Something About You is the first in the loosely connected U.S. Attorney/FBI series and I found it to be entertaining, funny, and super romantic.  It also didn't hurt that it included a variety of themes that I love such as enemies to lovers and second chance romance.

Cameron Lynde is an Assistant U.S. Attorney who is extremely confident in her job and fairly happy with her life.  But, of course, things get thrown out of whack when she unwittingly becomes a witness to a murder (through the wall of a hotel room).  She is then forced to work with Jack Pallas, the same special agent who publicly called her out years earlier, as the FBI becomes involved in the case.  In addition to the pressure of solving a murder, Jack and Cameron must learn to deal with their past issues and the physical attraction that rears its head again after three years.

I loved both Cameron and Jack.  They are smart, funny people who are successful in their chosen fields and, clearly, made for each other.  I really admired how both of them used their strengths to get to the truth of the murder in room 1308 even when that meant relying one each other.  The "enemies to lovers" element provided some much-needed humor as well as a way to emphasize the chemistry between them.  I felt like both of them grew as people throughout the book with Jack living for something besides his job and Cameron learning to trust someone with her deepest emotions.

The mystery was an important part of Something About You though the identity of the murderer was known almost from the beginning.  I thought the scenes showing the culprit and how they tried to stay one step ahead of the protagonists to be interesting.  I'm not usually into romantic suspense, but I thought Julie James did a good job of balancing the love story with the suspense aspect.  I also felt like I learned quite a bit about how the FBI work with U.S. Attorneys to serve justice even if the stakes aren't always as high as they are in this book.

I just had a great time listing to Something About You.  It was engaging from the first chapter and kept me on my toes with the suspense, the humor and, of course, the romance.  Julie James definitely has a winning formula on her hands and I am excited to keep going with this series especially with Karen White providing an impeccable narration.

FAVORITE QUOTE:
The thought sent chills running down her spine. Or, Cameron supposed, maybe the chill had something to do with the fact that she was still standing in the air-conditioned hallway wearing nothing but her T-shirt and underwear. Classy.
BOOKS IN THE SERIES:


Something About You (FBI/US Attorney, #1) A Lot like Love (FBI/US Attorney, #2) About That Night (FBI/US Attorney, #3) Love Irresistibly (FBI/US Attorney, #4)
 It Happened One Wedding (FBI/US Attorney, #5) Suddenly One Summer The Thing About Love (FBI/US Attorney, #7)

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer, I'm SO GLAD that you are enjoying these books. I binged on these audios at the beginning of 2016. They are absolutely addicting. I loved all of them! I love that part at the beginning when Cameron calls the lobby about all the noise going on in the room next door, and she's like "it's great for them that they're having lots of sexytimes, but I need to sleep." It's just so funny.

    Not all of these books are romantic suspense. I think the first few are more that way, but It Happened One Wedding isn't. And the one with the family attorney.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh I am so glad to see your review of this one!!! I feel like we have similar reading taste, so I am going to grab this from my library right NOW!!!I do love some good mystery in a romantic suspense them. hehe Great review.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.