Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Tuesday, June 28, 2016

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Freebie--Favorite Debut Novels


Hosted by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish.

For this freebie week, I decided to look at my favorite debut novels.  It was fun to look back at how I discovered some of these authors, many of whom have become favorites.

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
1. Cinder by Marissa Meyer (YA science fiction)
Cinderella as a cyborg?  This was just the beginning of what became one of my favorite series.

The Raven Prince (Princes Trilogy, #1)
2. The Raven Prince by Elizabeth Hoyt (historical romance)
I read this debut historical based on a recommendation from Julia Quinn and I have been obsessed with Hoyt's unique style ever since.

A Bollywood Affair (Bollywood)
3. A Bollywood Affair by Sonali Dev (contemporary romance)
I fell in love with Sonali Dev's characters and beautiful writing from the beginning and am eagerly waiting to see what she does next.

Kiss of Steel (London Steampunk, #1)
4. Kiss of Steel by Bec McMaster (steampunk romance)
This was a major surprise to me, but I fell head over heels for Blade and Honor's story.

Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)
5. Across the Universe by Beth Revis (YA science fiction)
I'm glad I gave this sci-fi romance a try because the trilogy became one of my favorites.

In For a Penny
6. In for a Penny by Rose Lerner (historical romance)
Lerner definitely isn't afraid to change things up in historical romance and her first book subtly showed that.

Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1)
7. Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost (urban fantasy)
Bones and Cat are my all-time favorite paranormal couple and their first story always makes me smile.

Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake (Love By Numbers, #1)
8. Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake by Sarah MacLean (historical romance)
A super-relatable heroine, a sexy hero, and a fun plot?  Sounds like a great historical debut!

Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1)
9. Soulless by Gail Carriger (steampunk romance)
This was snarky, hilarious, and super-romantic.  A great debut though I will admit that I still need to finish the series.

Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1)
10. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins (YA contemporary)
This was just so freaking sweet!  The Parisian setting was a bonus.

6 comments:

  1. I like this post, Jennifer! I loved Cinder, Soulless, Anna and the French Kiss and A Bollywood Affair. Some of my favorites, actually. I do like Nine Rules, but I didn't LOVE it. I really need to read more Elizabeth Hoyt. She is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice list!!

    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week:
    http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2016/06/top-ten-tuesday-freebie-week-things-i.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. NINE RULES TO BREAK for sure. Oh my word, debut GOLD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have such a great list here hun!! I absolutely adored Nine Rules----probably my favorite book from her. Her recent books haven't been as good as her first series, but loved that pair :) The Raven Prince is so wonderful---of course I have enjoyed all of what she has written. But that one was one of my first books to read from her, so I just love that story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Cinder, I just need to finish the series! http://videoclimbersvariations.blogspot.com/2016/06/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-tv-shows-based.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both Cinder and Across the Universe really impressed me as debuts! Great picks!

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.