Wednesday, May 18, 2016

2016 TBR CHALLENGE REVIEW: "On the Edge" by Ilona Andrews


On the Edge (The Edge, #1)
(The Edge #1)

Urban Fantasy
Ace -- 2009
Mass Market Paperback, 309 pages
Read in May 2016
Purchased

Goodreads -- Author Website -- Publisher Website

RATING: 4 STARS

SUMMARY
Rose Drayton lives on the Edge, between the world of the Broken (where people drive cars, shop at Wal-Mart, and magic is a fairy tale) and the Weird (where blueblood aristocrats rule, changelings roam, and the strength of your magic can change your destiny). Only Edgers like Rose can easily travel from one world to the next, but they never truly belong in either.

Rose thought if she practiced her magic, she could build a better life for herself. But things didn’t turn out how she planned, and now she works a minimum wage, off the books job in the Broken just to survive. Then Declan Camarine, a blueblood noble straight out of the deepest part of the Weird, comes into her life, determined to have her (and her power).

But when a terrible danger invades the Edge from the Weird, a flood of creatures hungry for magic, Declan and Rose must work together to destroy them—or they’ll devour the Edge and everyone in it.


THEMES & TROPES
Alternate Universe, Kick-ass Heroine

READING CHALLENGES
2016 Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy Reading Challenge
2016 Spooks, Howls, and Fangs Reading Challenge

MY THOUGHTS 
I read this book for the 2016 TBR Challenge -- May -- Something Different. The challenge is hosted by Wendy the Super Librarian.

I am cheating a little bit with this month's theme. Ilona Andrews is not a new to me author (duo) since I have recently gotten caught up on the Kate Daniels books and am eagerly anticipating the next installment in that series and in the newer Hidden Legacy series. On the Edge is the first of a four-book series that doesn't seem to fit neatly into one genre. It is partially urban fantasy, science fiction, paranormal romance, etc. Because of the genre ambiguity, I decided that it fits the "Something Different" theme and was happy to finally start the series.

As mentioned in the summary above, the Edge is an area between the Broken (which is similar to our world) and the Weird (which is the fantasy world). The people who inhabit the Edge are able to move back and forth between the worlds without much issue, but they have difficulty belonging anywhere. So they have set up their own little community and strive to get along as best they can while dealing with the magic hijinks of the Weird and the everyday struggles in the Broken.

The heroine of On the Edge is Rose and she has been struggling to raise her two younger brothers ever since their parents' deaths. She spends her days working in unregistered positions and keeping her brothers from letting their individual magical powers run amok. Her own "white flash" ability becomes known in the Weird and Rose ends up being considered a prize due to the hopes that her powers can be passed genetically. I loved everything about Rose. She is a wonderful mix of strength and vulnerability that made her easy to relate to and root for. I really admired her determination to keep her family together, no matter what.

Declan is a mysterious aristocrat from the Weird who, at first, seems to be one of the many aristocrats who are vying for Rose's hand. But, he stands out when he begins offer protection for Rose's brothers and attempts to help the Edgers figure out the mystery of the deadly creatures that have started popping up. I wasn't sure what to think about Declan at the beginning, but I ended up really liking him. There is a lot more too him than his good looks and breeding which was fun to discover.

The main plot of On the Edge involves the mysterious appearance of animal-like creatures that seem to devour all the magic in their path. Declan and Rose have to work together to figure out who is conjuring them in order to protect the other Edgers especially Rose's family. There is a lot of world building in this book, but, thanks to the authors' writing style, it never felt overwhelming. Things are seamlessly explained and meticulously detailed. I did think it took some time for the action to really get going, but, once it did, I couldn't put the book down.

I loved the emphasis on family in this book which is shown primarily through Rose's interactions with her brothers. Jack and George have their own individual characters journeys to go through, but I appreciated that they were still allowed to be children. I hope to see more of them growing up and learning to control their fascinating abilities. Declan's relationship with the boys was really sweet and helped me to see how good he could be for Rose. Their romance is not the centerpiece of the book, but I thought it was well-developed and engaging. I especially liked the way that they bantered back and forth while their chemistry sparkled.

It is difficult to describe this book anymore without going overboard with description and fangirling. On the Edge is a very different type of story in a unique world with likable characters. The writing is easy to get into and the pacing kept me reading late into the night. I will be continuing the series especially since William is getting his story told next in Bayou Moon.


FAVORITE QUOTE
“She handed him a glass of water and two Aleve gelcaps. “They’re anti-inflammatories. They will dull the pain a little bit and keep down swelling and redness. Swallow the pills, don’t chew.”“Well, I thought I’d stick them into my nose and impersonate a walrus, but if you insist, I’ll swallow them.”
BOOKS IN THE SERIES

On the Edge (The Edge, #1) Bayou Moon (The Edge, #2) Fate's Edge (The Edge, #3) Steel's Edge (The Edge, #4)

10 comments:

  1. It is such a fantastic series, and I actually got into Ilona Andrews from this series and was reticent to start the Kate Daniels series, so this holds a special place in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny how differently we all get into authors. I have been wanting to try this series for awhile, but wanted to get caught up on Kate Daniels first. I'm glad I finally got to it!

      Delete
  2. I'm not super into paranormal romance, but I have been curious about this book. Rose just seems like such an awesome character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really is. I think you would like either this or the Kate Daniels series. Ilona Andrews has such a distinct writing style and they know how to write fantasy.

      Delete
  3. Good choice for something different. I haven't read this author's books yet. I like the fact that this series is smaller and sounds more manageable for someone with a huge TBR. LOL I like that it doesn't exactly fit in a specific category.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that it is small and complete! Four books and you are done!

      Delete
  4. Glad to see you enjoyed this one! It's not my favorite in the series, but I still enjoyed it. Declan kinda annoyed me here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see how Declan could be annoying to some. I ended up liking him much more than I thought I would.

      Delete
  5. oh I see I need to pick up this book and NOW!! Your review has been totally hooked. :) Great review hun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would love it! It is so different!

      Delete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.