Monday, April 11, 2016

HISTORICAL ROMANCE 101: Favorite Time Periods

Historical Romance 101

Historical Romance 101 is a celebration of the genre that will be occurring throughout the month of April. My blog along with On a Book BenderAddicted to Romance, and Quinn's Book Nook will be writing on a variety of topics every Monday and Friday in April.


FAVORITE TIME PERIODS

This was a fun topic to think about because I have always thought of my self has a broad reader when it comes to historical periods I like to indulge in.  While that is somewhat true, I did find some obvious preferences.

Middle Ages/Medieval Times
I love the adventure and forbidden aspect that often occurs in these romances.  It also is interesting to me that most of the Medieval romances I love take place in Scotland.

Enchanted (Medieval, #3) Never Seduce a Scot (The Montgomerys and Armstrongs, #1) Born in Sin (Brotherhood of the Sword #3/MacAllister, #2) Highland Warrior (Murray Family, #9 & MacEnroy, #3)


Early 19th Century (Regency/Napoleonic)
A very often-used time period due to (I believe) the popularity of the works of Jane Austen and Georgette Heyer.

The Viscount Who Loved Me (Bridgertons, #2) A Night to Surrender (Spindle Cove, #1) The Perfect Waltz (The Merridew Sisters, #2) A Summer to Remember (Bedwyn Saga, #.6)


Mid-19th Century (Victorian/American Civil War/Reconstruction)
This is a time of immense economic, political, and social change for many countries which translates into interesting conflicts for romances.

The Countess Conspiracy (Brothers Sinister, #3) Forbidden My Dearest Enemy Texas Destiny (Leigh Brothers Texas Trilogy, #1)



What time periods do you prefer with historical romance?  Any that you wish you saw more of?



TWITTER CHAT

Don't forget that there will be a #HR101 Twitter chat on Tuesday, April 26th at 9:00 p.m., est.

GIVEAWAY!!

There will be five winners: one grand prize winner, two runner-ups, two second runner-ups.
Winners will receive one or more historical romance novels. See below for specifics.
One entry per day per person throughout April.
You must be 18+ to enter.
Winners must live in the U.S.

The same rafflecopter is being used on all Historical Romance 101 blogs. You can only enter once a day regardless of which blog you visit to enter. Good luck!


a Rafflecopter giveaway

3 comments:

  1. Great list of time periods you have here!! I love Medieval as well...its one of my top favorites. You listed some of my favorites too!! Maya Banks has done wonders with her historical's right? I really enjoyed Texas Destiny as well, although Texas Glory is my favorite. But there is something unique about Houston and Amelia. They are so sweet together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This topic made me realize how narrow my reading is. I swear it's not intentional! Probably. I'm looking forward to reading Indigo and digging into the American time periods. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely need to broaden my historical romance reading. The VAST majority I read is Regency, followed closely by Victorian. Almost all set in the U.K. It's not that I dislike other time periods, I just love Regency and Medieval and Victorian England so much.

    Since reading Because of Miss Bridgerton, I've really been wanting to re-read The Viscount and Me. I so adore that book, too.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.