Friday, April 15, 2016

HISTORICAL ROMANCE 101: Favorite Settings

Historical Romance 101

HISTORICAL ROMANCE 101 is a celebration of the genre that will be occurring throughout the month of April. My blog along with On a Book BenderAddicted to Romance, and Quinn's Book Nook will be writing on a variety of topics every Monday and Friday in April.


FAVORITE SETTINGS


England
This is the setting that I read about the most with historicals though in different time periods.  The history of England is one that I am very familiar with so it always feels comfortable to experience it.

The Raven Prince (Princes Trilogy, #1) Secret Desires of a Gentleman (Girl Bachelors, #3) Devil in Winter (Wallflowers, #3) Yours Until Dawn (Fairleigh Sisters, #3)

Scotland
I have always been intrigued by Highland romances and that love was increased when I read Outlander for the first time.  Love me some kilts!

Outlander (Outlander, #1) To Beguile a Beast (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #3) In Bed with a Highlander (McCabe Trilogy, #1) When a Scot Ties the Knot (Castles Ever After, #3)

France
The history of France is full of exuberance and political drama that I find to be interesting.  Plus that is the number one dream vacation spot for me.

The Wicked Deeds of Daniel Mackenzie (MacKenzies & McBrides, #6) Ruthless (The House of Rohan, #1) Slightly Tempted (Bedwyn Saga, #4) Beast

America
Obviously, since I live in America, I am comfortable with its history.  I like seeing the different approaches that authors take and how they compare to my knowledge.

Magnate Bitter Spirits (Roaring Twenties, #1) Wild at Heart The Texan's Wager (Wife Lottery, #1)

At Sea
This is a different one since "at sea" isn't a defined place, but I enjoy romances where the hero/heroine meet or fall in love while on an extended journey.  There is something very exotic about the setting plus there are often pirates...which I love!

The Pirate Lord (Lord Trilogy, #1) A Lady's Guide to Skirting Scandal (The Lords of Worth, #2.5) Surrender of a Siren (The Wanton Dairymaid Trilogy, #2) His Wicked Kiss (Knight Miscellany, #7)



What settings do you read the most in historical romances?  Any that you would love to see more of?



TWITTER CHAT

Don't forget that there will be a #HR101 Twitter chat on Tuesday, April 26th at 9:00 p.m., est.

GIVEAWAY!!

There will be five winners: one grand prize winner, two runner-ups, two second runner-ups.
Winners will receive one or more historical romance novels. See below for specifics.
One entry per day per person throughout April.
You must be 18+ to enter.
Winners must live in the U.S.

The same rafflecopter is being used on all Historical Romance 101 blogs. You can only enter once a day regardless of which blog you visit to enter. Good luck!


a Rafflecopter giveaway

3 comments:

  1. ooh yes on The Pirate Lord!!! That is one of my all time favorites. Jeffries did so good with that one. I have been wanting to pick Up Texan's Wager though for quite some time. In Bed With A Highlander is one of my favorites----I loved Mairi. So feisty yet kind hearted too. And Yours Until Dawn is superb!!! LOVE that one. Every book I have read from that author has been great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! At sea! Lots of good books set at sea. I know I need to read more historical romances set in America. (But I think I've got a good start on a few of those books... so yay!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved At Sea settings when I was first getting into historical romance. I haven't read any in a long time though. You know I adore Scotland and English settings. I'm not super into American settings, though. I'm not sure why.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.