Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Friday, April 8, 2016

HISTORICAL ROMANCE 101: Favorite Book Covers

Historical Romance 101

HISTORICAL ROMANCE 101 is a celebration of the genre that will be occurring throughout the month of April. My blog along with On a Book BenderAddicted to Romance, and Quinn's Book Nook will be writing on a variety of topics every Monday and Friday in April.


FAVORITE BOOK COVERS

This was a much harder topic than I thought it would be.  I definitely have strong opinions about book covers, but I made my initial list too long so I had to do some serious reductions.  One surprising thing I noticed was that I prefer heroines on covers rather than heroes.  While I can enjoy a shirtless guy in a kilt as much as the next person, those covers don't usually stand out to me like the ones with gorgeous dresses or an intriguing look.

Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage (MacKenzies & McBrides, #2)
I chose for the completely shallow reason of loving the dress and wanting it for myself.


I've Got My Duke to Keep Me Warm (The Lords of Worth, #1)
I have a thing for wintery themes on covers.  I love the mix of red and white.

The Impostor (Liar's Club, #2)
A rare historical cover that I like without people.  I love the covers and the mysterious rose.

Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1)
This cover tells potential readers that the story inside is probably a little kooky.  The crooked umbrella amuses me more than I think it should.

Scandal Wears Satin (The Dressmakers, #2)
This is part of a series about Victorian-era dressmakers so, of course, the covers all have beautiful dresses.  I think this is the most impressive of gowns for this series due to the color and the size.

Harlot
This is not a ghost story though the cover would work for that type of book.  I found it to be haunting and beautiful.

Rules of an Engagement (Adventurers’ Club, #3)
I assume this story is full of mischief and fun based on the flirty pose.  Plus another umbrella...I have a thing for them, I guess.

Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1)
Another one I picked based on the color scheme.  I also find myself wanting to know who this woman is and where she is going.

The Duke Is Mine (Fairy Tales, #3)
This is a retelling of the Princess and the Pea fairy tale and showcases that well.  I also like the rich colors.

The Art of Sinning (Sinful Suitors, #1)
Finally, a cover where the hero is prominent without having his shirt off.  He is very sexy and I want to know more about him.  I also like the pink font.

Forever Your Earl (The Wicked Quills of London, #1)
I love the mask and the way the blue and pink mixed together.  The woman looks like she is on a mission and I would love to hang out with her.

My Fair Concubine (Tang Dynasty, #3)
The Chinese setting provided some beautiful opportunities for the cover and I'm glad they weren't wasted.  I think the couple looks like they are in love and passionate without being half naked.

Never Judge a Lady by Her Cover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #4)
Not much I need to say about this one.  It explains the story inside very well, I think.

Three Schemes and a Scandal (The Writing Girls, #3.5)
I think the fan and the look in the model's eyes make it seem very mysterious.  There are schemes and scandals going on so it works.

So, what are your favorite historical romance covers?  Do you have any specific preferences?  Or any turn-offs?



TWITTER CHAT
Don't forget that there will be a #HR101 Twitter chat on Tuesday, April 26th at 9:00 p.m., est.

GIVEAWAY!!
There will be five winners: one grand prize winner, two runner-ups, two second runner-ups.
Winners will receive one or more historical romance novels. See below for specifics.
One entry per day per person throughout April.
You must be 18+ to enter.
Winners must live in the U.S.

The same rafflecopter is being used on all Historical Romance 101 blogs. You can only enter once a day regardless of which blog you visit to enter. Good luck!


a Rafflecopter giveaway

2 comments:

  1. EEK!! Yes for another HISTROM101....I am loving that we are doing this again. Such a great group of covers you have here. I also had Rules Of Engagement for one of my picks as well. I love both the main and stepback. The umbrella is so cute!! Never Judge A Lady By Her Cover---is simply fantastic. I especially love how it connects so well with the story. I just love the cover for Forever Your Earl---so beautiful. Love the mix of blue and pink in the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all for the dresses on covers, too. Maybe because there's more variety than just a shirtless man.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.