Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Tuesday, March 8, 2016

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Books I Didn't Like As Much As Others Did


Hosted by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish.

I had a hard time coming up with characters for this week's post so I decided to expand it and concentrate on books that I didn't enjoy as much as many others did.

Two-Way Street
1. Two-Way Street by Lauren Barnholdt
I just found both characters to be unlikable and I didn't care about their journey.

Breathing Room
2. Breathing Room by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
I normally love SEP's contemporaries, but I found this one so boring!

Down to You (The Bad Boys, #1)
3. Down to You by M. Leighton
The writing was good, but I didn't like the heroine and I hated the twist ending.

After the Abduction (Swanlea Spinsters, #3)
4. After the Abduction by Sabrina Jeffries
Another author whose books I normally adore.  I just couldn't make myself care about Juliet or Sebastian.

The Dangers of Dating a Rebound Vampire (Half-Moon Hollow, #3)
5. The Dangers of Dating a Rebound Vampire by Molly Harper
I never felt like Gigi and Nick's romance was developed enough.  I also didn't care for the constant reunions with past Half-Moon Hollow characters.

The Winner's Crime (The Winner's Trilogy, #2)
6. The Winner's Crime by Marie Rutkoski
I liked this book, but had a really hard time getting into it.

Once More, My Darling Rogue (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James, #2)
7. Once More, My Darling Rogue by Lorraine Heath
Both characters were likable, but I hated how long the hero kept a secret from the heroine.

Not in the Script (If Only . . . , #3)
8. Not in the Script by Amy Finnegan
The backstage elements were interesting.  I just didn't think the characters were developed enough.

The Perfect Rake (The Merridew Sisters, #1)
9. The Perfect Rake by Anne Gracie
I wanted to like this more than I did.  I just found it boring.

Ball & Chain (Cut & Run, #8)
10. Ball & Chain by Abigail Roux
I liked the Ty/Zane elements, but was disappointed by the fact that they were overshadowed by Nick and Kelly.



10 comments:

  1. I had a hard time with this topic too and adapted it a bit. I've only read Not in the Script, but I did really like it. I always feels weird when so many people love a book, but it just doesn't work for you. I've struggled with Jennifer Ryan's books. So many people love them. Renee loves them. They have great ratings on Goodreads. But I just don't like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried any of Jennifer Ryan's books. You know I'm really picky when it comes to contemporaries. But, I do want to try them someday.

      Delete
  2. I am a huge SEP fan, but I totally agree about Breathing Room! It just didn't work.

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know I'm not alone. I wanted to like it, but it was not for me. I also didn't think Hot Shot worked as well as I wanted it to. I am excited that she is returning to the Chicago Stars series this year!

      Delete
  3. Totally agree re: Down to You

    Haven't read Ball & Chain yet but based on your description, it sounds disappointing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ball & Chain was okay. The Ty/Zane stuff was really good...they just weren't the center of attention like I wanted them to be. I've heard good things about Crash & Burn (the conclusion to the series) so I'm hopeful.

      Delete
  4. Great list you have here hun. I actually liked After the Abduction...not my favorite of the series but still enjoyable. I agree about Molly Harpers books...I like her shifter series but this vampire one I have struggled with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Naked Werewolf series...so funny! I usually enjoy Harper's vampire books, but this one was not very good. I may give After the Abduction another try. I read it in the middle of a glom of Sabrina Jeffries's books so, maybe, I was just burnt out on her writing style at that time.

      Delete
  5. Agree about The Perfect Rake. I couldn't finish it.
    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know I'm not the only person disappointed by The Perfect Rake. Lots of other historical romance readers love it. I personally think book 2 in the series (The Perfect Waltz) was much better.

      Delete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.