Monday, March 14, 2016

REVIEW: "The Rogue Not Taken" by Sarah MacLean

The Rogue Not Taken (Scandal & Scoundrel, #1)
(Scandal & Scoundrel #1)

For Ages 18+ (Language, Sensuality)
Historical Romance -- Regency England

Avon -- December 29, 2015
Mass Market Paperback, 419 pages
Read in February 2016
Purchased from Amazon

Goodreads -- Author Website -- Publisher Website

RATING: 3.25 STARS

SUMMARY
LADY SOPHIE'S SOCIETY SPLASH

The youngest of the infamous Talbot sisters scandalized society at the Liverpool Summer Soiree, striking her sister’s notoriously philandering husband and landing him backside-first in a goldfish pond. And we thought Sophie was the quiet one…

When she finds herself the target of very public aristocratic scorn, Sophie Talbot does what she must to escape the city and its judgment—she flees on the back of a carriage, vowing never to return to London…or to society. But the carriage isn’t saving her from ruin. It’s filled with it.

ROYAL ROGUE'S REIGN OF RAVISHMENT!

The Marquess of Eversley was espied descending a rose trellis—escaping an irate Earl and his once-future countess. No lady is safe from Eversley’s Engagement Ending Escapades!

Kingscote, the Marquess of Eversley, has never met a woman he couldn’t charm, a quality that results in a reputation far worse than the truth, a furious summons home, and a long, boring trip to the Scottish border. When King discovers stowaway Sophie, however, the trip becomes anything but boring.

WAR? OR MORE?

He thinks she’s trying to trick him into marriage. She wouldn’t have him if he were the last man on earth. But carriages bring close quarters, dark secrets, and unbearable temptation, and suddenly opposites are altogether too attractive…


THEMES AND TROPES
Road Romance, Scandalous Heroine

READING CHALLENGES
2016 Pick Your Genre Reading Challenge

MY THOUGHTS 
I adore Sarah MacLean's writing style and her unique approach to historical romance.  I was very excited about her new series which is inspired by modern-day celebrity scandals.  I really wanted to like The Rogue Not Taken, but I had a difficult time getting through it which was disappointing for me.

Sophie is considered to be the quietest and least likely of her family to cause a scandal.  Unfortunately, that is exactly what she did when she pushed her sister's husband (a duke) into a pond during a party.  Things just get worse for her when she attempts to leave the party and ends up stowing away on the back of the scandalous Marquess of Eversley's carriage as it travels towards Scotland.  Once she is discovered, the Marquess and her embark on a series of adventures that have them getting closer than either of them were expecting.

My main issues with the book were the two main characters.  I found the heroine, Sophie, to be very irritating and she toed the line of Too Stupid To Live many different times.  The only time I really enjoyed her character was at the beginning when she pushed the duke into the pond.  For the rest of the book, I just kept rolling my eyes as she put herself into more and more danger without thinking.  And, while I liked the idea of the hero and his dilemma, I thought he was boring and the whole misunderstanding plot with his father felt very contrived.  I did find the side characters especially the snarky small town doctor and King's friend, the Duke of Warnick, to be much more interesting than the main couple.

I enjoyed the plot of this book much more than the characters which is unusual for me.  A road romance between a scandalous heroine and a rakish hero is always a storyline I will jump on.  I liked the different scenarios that Sophie and King found themselves in.  I just wish that I could have made myself care about these two and their romance enough to like the book more.  Despite my disappointment with The Rogue Not Taken, I am looking forward to the next Scandal & Scoundrel story since Warnick is the hero!

BOOKS IN THE SERIES

The Rogue Not Taken (Scandal & Scoundrel, #1) A Scot in the Dark (Scandal & Scoundrel #2)

2 comments:

  1. Great review here. I have enjoyed MacLean in the past, but the last couple of her books I have had a hard time with, not very engaging for me. ITs why I am waiting for this one at my library and not purchasing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be interested in what you think. Many readers really liked it though I did read some reviews that seemed to be more along my experience. I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.