Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Wednesday, March 16, 2016

2016 TBR CHALLENGE REVIEW: "The Rosie Project" by Graeme Simsion


The Rosie Project (Don Tillman, #1)
(Don Tillman #1)

For Ages 18+ (Language)
Contemporary Romance

Simon & Schuster -- October 2013
Ebook, 305 pages
Read in March 2016
Purchased from Amazon

Goodreads -- Author Website -- Publisher Website

RATING: 4.25 STARS

SUMMARY
Don Tillman, professor of genetics, has never been on a second date. He is a man who can count all his friends on the fingers of one hand, whose lifelong difficulty with social rituals has convinced him that he is simply not wired for romance. So when an acquaintance informs him that he would make a “wonderful” husband, his first reaction is shock. Yet he must concede to the statistical probability that there is someone for everyone, and he embarks upon The Wife Project. In the orderly, evidence-based manner with which he approaches all things, Don sets out to find the perfect partner. She will be punctual and logical—most definitely not a barmaid, a smoker, a drinker, or a late-arriver.

Yet Rosie Jarman is all these things. She is also beguiling, fiery, intelligent—and on a quest of her own. She is looking for her biological father, a search that a certain DNA expert might be able to help her with. Don's Wife Project takes a back burner to the Father Project and an unlikely relationship blooms, forcing the scientifically minded geneticist to confront the spontaneous whirlwind that is Rosie—and the realization that love is not always what looks good on paper.


THEMES AND TROPES
First Person Narration, Beta Hero, Opposites Attract

READING CHALLENGES
2016 TBR Challenge -- March -- Recommended Read
2016 Pick Your Genre Reading Challenge -- Contemporary Romance
2016 New To You Reading Challenge

MY THOUGHTS 

I chose The Rosie Project because it has been recommended to me by many people including Quinn at Quinn's Book Nook.  I bought it when it went on sale two years ago and it has just languished on my e-reader ever since.  But, I finally jumped into it and I am happy that I did.

The Rosie Project is told from the point of view of Don Tillman, a genetics professor, who struggles with social interaction.  His perspective on life changes when a friend mentions that he would make a good husband so he does what any self-respecting scientist would do...start an experiment.  The Wife Project is Don's way of evaluating what he wants in a life partner and includes a hilariously detailed questionnaire.  During the course of collecting data, Don meets Rosie who is everything that he knows he doesn't want in a wife, but, while helping her with a project of her own, he begins to re-think the entire Wife Project.

I just adored Don!  He is well-developed and very easy to root for.  I appreciated the respect and care that the author put into his depiction.  I enjoyed the fact that his social issues were never given a label so that the concentration was more on his individual traits rather than an official diagnosis.  Some of my favorite parts of his character were his desire to help others and determination to make himself interact with the outside world even if he had to resort to being the clown.  I found his journey to be very entertaining and his character growth was well-written.

Rosie was an interesting character herself.  I liked the fact that she took the time to really figure out Don's idiosyncrasies and didn't shame him for it.  She goes on a personal journey of her own to find out the identity of her biological father and I thought it helped show her development as well.  I will admit that I did get annoyed with some aspects of her personality especially towards the end.  I'm still not completely sure I forgive her for how she treated Don, but I am willing to go with it for the sake of the story.

 I found The Rosie Project to be a sweet, romantic story of a super likable hero and the woman who is so wrong for him that she is right.  This truly is Don's story and it was a blast to read about.  I am interested in reading the sequel, but I have seen some reviews that weren't very pleased with the direction of Rosie's character.  I would love to hear opinions from others who have read it in order to make a decision.  I'm a little upset that it took me so long to give this cute story a chance, but I'm glad to finally have gotten it done.

FAVORITE QUOTE
And how could I be sure that other people were not doing the same—playing the game to be accepted but suspecting all the time that they were different?

BOOKS IN THE SERIES


The Rosie Project (Don Tillman, #1) The Rosie Effect (Don Tillman, #2)

4 comments:

  1. This one keeps rolling back around to people's lists doesn't it? I may finally have to take the plunge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I continue to be on the fence--but then, this happens to me with titles that get too much hype.

      Delete
  2. This one sounds really sweet. I haven't read anything by this author yet. Nice choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book. My son and husband have Asperger's so I read a lot of it nodding along in recognition (even though Don is not officially diagnosed). It isn't often I find a book I laugh out loud to but this one was.
    I was less fond of the sequel owing to the direction both characters take. It was sadder, though probably a realistic take on the challenges involved with managing a relationship where one person has slightly more complex needs than another.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.