Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Tuesday, February 2, 2016

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Historical Settings I Want To See More Often


Hosted by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish.

I love historical romance and historical fiction so I had fun thinking about this topic.  I enjoy Regency England as much as the next history fan, but I would like more variety.

Image result for ireland history
1. Pre-16th Century Ireland
Ireland has a pretty bleak history, but I would be interested in stories from before England took over.

Image result for catherine the great
2. 18th Century Russia
During the time of Catherine the Great.

Image result for edo japan
3. Edo Period Japan (1603-1868)
Actually, any Japanese historicals would be fine, but, when I was digging around in Wikipedia, this seemed like an intriguing time.

Image result for ancient rome
4. Ancient Rome or Greece
I have always had a thing for these two settings and want to read some historical romances set there.

Image result for civil war kentucky
5. Civil War-era Kentucky
My home state was considered an important border during the Civil War and is considered to be a prime example of the "brother vs. brother" scenario.

Image result for war of 1812
6. War of 1812 -- America
I don't think I've ever read a romance set in this time.

Image result for renaissance venice
7. Renaissance Venice
I adore the Heath Ledger romance, Casanova, so I want more!

Image result for world war 2 canada
8. World War I or World War II Canada
Like Japan, I would be interested in any Canadian historical romances.

Image result for 19th century brazil
9. Late 19th Century Brazil
I know very little about South American history besides the European explorers' arrival so I would love to learn more.

Image result for harlem renaissance
10. Harlem Renaissance New York
The Roaring Twenties is becoming popular, but I would especially like to see more of this sub-setting.

5 comments:

  1. Oh I totally agree that I would love to see some historical romances set in the time period of the ancient Greeks or Romans. I also love reading about pre-Revolutionary Russia a lot. The Harlem renaissance is definitely an interesting one, one you don't see often, but I agree that it would be interesting!
    here's my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, romance set during these time periods would be fun. I'm not super interested in the Civil War, but war of 1812 could be really fun.

    But, I do admit, that mostly I love Regency, Victorian England. And Medieval Scotland. I love Medieval Scotland!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay for Kentucky! I have a subset of Colonial era Kentucky on my list this week but I neglected to do the same for the Civil War. A couple books that I recommend are Daughter of Twin Oaks by Lauraine Snelling and The Seeker by Ann H. Gabhart. My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list. Kentucky books would be interesting. I don’t live there, but I go there twice a year for classes. The state does have an interesting history.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great here!! I would love to see more books in these time periods and locations!! I love romances set in Russia...but haven't found too many. And yes to Ireland, I haven't read hardly any books set in Ireland--definitely need to look into that more.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.