Monday, November 9, 2015

REVIEW: "The Fifteenth Minute" by Sarina Bowen


The Fifteenth Minute (The Ivy Years, #5)
(Ivy Years #5)

For Ages 17+ (Language, Sensuality)
New Adult -- Contemporary Romance

Rennie Road Books -- Published on October 13, 2015
Ebook, 294 pages
Read in October 2015
Purchased from Amazon

RATING: 4.25 STARS

THEMES/TROPES
Dual Points of View, Hollywood, Sports--Ice Hockey

SUMMARY
Freshman Lianne Challice is known to millions of fans as Princess Vindi. But sometimes a silver screen sorceress just wants to hang up her wand, tell her manager to shove it, and become a normal college student. Too bad that’s harder than it looks.

She’s never lived a normal life. She hasn’t been to school since kindergarten. And getting close to anyone is just too risky — the last boy she kissed sold the story to a British tabloid.

But she can’t resist trying to get close to Daniel "DJ" Trevi, the hot, broody guy who spins tunes for hockey games in the arena. Something's haunting his dark eyes, and she needs to know more.

DJ's genius is for expressing the mood of the crowd with a ten second song snippet. With just a click and a fade, he can spread hope, pathos or elation among six thousand screaming fans.

Too bad his college career is about to experience the same quick fade-out as one of his songs. He can't get close to Lianne, and he can't tell her why. And the fact that she seems to like him at all? Incredible.


FIRST LINE
"I promised myself that I wouldn't spend my second semester of college huddled in my room playing Dragonfire."

MY THOUGHTS
I adore sports romances and romances where one of the characters is involved in Hollywood in some way.  So I was predestined to enjoy this conclusion to Sarina Bowen's Ivy Years series which features an actress trying to have a normal life while attending college and the arena disc jockey she falls for.  But, as with all books in this series, there are also some major life issues for the characters to get through before they can get their happy ending.

I just loved Lianne from the moment she was introduced in The Shameless Hour.  There is something endearing about a popular actress who is a closet music and video game nerd.  She decided to attend Harkness College in order to live life like a normal person which is, of course, easier said than done with paparazzi showing up randomly on campus.  I liked how this book allowed her to really grow as a person and figure out where she wants her career to go next.

DJ is an equally likable characters with his quick wit and his passion for his work as a disc jockey.  But, he is hiding a major secret that makes him believe he shouldn't even begin something with Lianne.  Since this is a romance novel, it is obvious that DJ does take the plunge with her, but the author doesn't shy away from the repercussions of his secret.  I just loved how sweet he was with Lianne and how much he wanted to help her out.

One thing that Sarina Bowen does really well in her books is by putting heavy social issues in her books and handling them with great respect.  The Fifteenth Minute deals with accusations of rape on college campuses and how it is handled by the administration.  The rape (which never actually happened) occurs before the story begins, but I do want to give a warning for anyone who might have difficulty with that particular topic.  This is a very prominent issue that I thought was handled with great care for both sides, the accuser and the accused.

I am sad that this series is coming to an end, but I thought it went out with a bang.  Lianne and DJ are a very likable couple and I was rooting for them the entire time.  I am happy that Sarina Bowen is going to do a spin-off series so that some of my favorite side characters might get their own happy ending very soon.

FAVORITE QUOTE
I want to fit in - it's just that I don't speak the language.
BOOKS IN THE SERIES
1. The Year We Fell Down
2. The Year We Hid Away
2.5. Blonde Date
3. The Understatement of the Year
4. The Shameless Hour
5. The Fifteenth Minute

LEARN MORE
Goodreads -- Author Website

WHERE TO GET IT
Amazon -- B&N -- Kobo -- Google Play

2 comments:

  1. I really really want to read this. I also love sports romances (which seriously surprises me, because in real life, I couldn't care less about sports) and romances with some Hollywood theme. I haven't read any of the other Ivy Years book, but I think I have to read this one first. It sooo looks up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the first book in this series the other week and it was really good! I'm looking forward to giving the others a go and the combination of Hollywood with the sports romance sounds really appealing :) Great review!

    Zareena @ The Slanted Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.