Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Wednesday, November 11, 2015

NOVELLA REVIEW: "No Groom at the Inn" by Megan Frampton


No Groom at the Inn (Dukes Behaving Badly, #2.5)
(Dukes Behaving Badly #2.5)

For Ages 18+ (Language, Sensuality)
Historical Romance -- Regency England

Avon Impulse -- Published on November 10, 2015
eARC, 96 pages
Read in October 2015
Received from Edelweiss

RATING: 3.5 STARS

THEMES/TROPES
Holidays, House Party Setting, Pretend Engagement, Bluestocking Heroine

SUMMARY
In this Dukes Behaving Badly holiday novella, a young lady entertains a sudden proposal of marriage—to a man she’s only just met...

What does a lady do when a man she’s never seen before offers his hand in marriage? Lady Sophronia Bettesford doesn’t scream and run away. Instead, she accepts the shocking proposition. After all, what’s her other choice? To live with her cousin, caring for six children and a barnyard full of chickens?

James Archer has roamed the world, determined never to settle down. He’s faced danger and disaster…he fears nothing and no one—except his mother and her matchmaking ways. So when ordered to attend a Christmastime house party filled with holiday cheer and simpering young misses, he produces—a fiancĂ©e!

Sophronia and James vow to pretend to be in love for one month. But when they promise to give each other a Christmas kiss, it becomes clear that this pact made out of necessity might just be turning into love.


FIRST LINE
"Poultry."

MY THOUGHTS
I received a free copy of this book from Avon Impulse via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

This seems to be my season for reading novellas by authors that are new-to-me.  I've heard good things about Megan Frampton for awhile, but just never got the opportunity to try her.  So, when I saw No Groom at the Inn on Edelweiss, I knew I had to request it.  I am an unapologetic lover of holiday-themed historical romances and, while this one wasn't perfect, I enjoyed my time with it.

Lady Sophronia is in a bit of a bind.  Her father's death has left her penniless so she is forced to take charity from a recently widowed cousin.  The story begins with her waiting for a ride to her cousin's home at an inn. While there, she meets Mr. James Archer who is trying to figure out a way to get through a seasonal house party without ending up engaged.  James and Sophronia decide to fake an engagement for the duration of the house party which will enable him to continue his nomadic lifestyle while she will gain a house and security.  And, since this is a romance novel, things don't go according to plan once they start the masquerade.

This was a very cute and easy to read novella.  Both Sophronia and James were well-developed and likable.  I appreciated Sophronia's determination to make her way on her own and also that she isn't above accepting help when it is needed.  James's inability to never settle in one spot made sense based on his upbringing and I thought it was interesting how the author showcased that aspect.  The plot was fairly predictable, but the characters really made the story shine.  I especially enjoyed reading about James's mother who could have been a caricature, but ended up being so much more.

Megan Frampton's writing was impressive and I was able to finish the story in one day.  I will definitely be trying more from the Dukes Behaving Badly series now.  If you are in the mood for a quick, fun holiday read, I recommend giving No Groom at the Inn a try.

BOOKS IN THE SERIES
1. The Duke's Guide to Correct Behavior
1.5. When Good Earls Go Bad
2. Put Up Your Duke
2.5. No Groom at the Inn
3. One Eyed Dukes Are Wild (Coming December 2015)

LEARN MORE
Goodreads -- Author Website

WHERE TO GET IT
Amazon -- B&N -- BAM -- Kobo -- Google Play -- All Romance

3 comments:

  1. oh I am pretty excited for this one. I really like this author, and from what I have read from her so far I have been impressed as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh. Megan Frampton is an author I've heard of but not tried yet. I think I'll have to check her out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really do like trying out novellas of authors I haven't read yet. It's a good way to check out there writing style without a big commitment.

    This one does look cute, and I want to give it a try. I do love fake romances.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.