Friday, November 27, 2015

AUDIOBOOK REVIEW: "The Single Undead Moms Club" by Molly Harper; Narrated by Amanda Ronconi


The Single Undead Moms Club (Half-Moon Hollow, #4)

(Half-Moon Hollow #4)

For Ages 18+ (Language, Sensuality)
Paranormal Romance -- Vampires

Pocket Books -- Published on October 27, 2015
Audiobook, 9 hours and 33 minutes
Read in November 2015
Purchased from Audible

RATING: 4 STARS

THEMES/TROPES
First Person Narrative, Alternate Universe, Comedy, Enemies to Lovers, Small Town Setting, Widow Heroine, Self-Made Hero

SUMMARY
Widow Libby Stratton arranged to be turned into a vampire after she was diagnosed with late-stage cancer. It wasn’t the best idea she’s ever had, but she was desperate—she’s not about to leave her seven-year-old son to be raised by her rigid, overbearing in-laws.

On top of post-turning transition issues, like being ignored at PTA meetings and other mothers rejecting her son’s invitations for sleepovers, Libby must deal with her father-in-law’s attempts to declare her an unfit mother, her growing feelings for Wade—a tattooed redneck single dad she met while hiding in a closet at Back to School Night—and the return of her sire, who hasn’t stopped thinking about brave, snarky Libby since he turned her.

With the help of her new vampire circle, Libby negotiates this unfamiliar quagmire of legal troubles, parental duties, and relationships.


FIRST LINE
"If you have your choice about how to be turned into a vampire, I strongly suggest that you do not post an ad on the supernatural version of Craigslist offering cash to any creature of the night willing to bite you."

MY THOUGHTS
Now this is what I expect from a Molly Harper paranormal romance!  I was disappointed the earlier book in this series (The Dangers of Dating a Rebound Vampire), but this book helped bring me back to the happiness I often associate with this world.  Things shift to new characters which I thought brought more unpredictability to the plot.

The narrator is Libby Stratton who lost her husband a few years ago and is now facing a terminal illness which will leave her young son an orphan.  Danny is only thing she cares about in the world and she is determined to stay in his life as long as possible.  So, she puts out an ad to be turned into a vampire and, once that is done, must try to adjust to life as a single, undead mother.

I thought Libby was a great heroine to read about.  She is funny, sharp-tongued, intelligent, and willing to go through anything to make her son happy.  She is a bit more on the straight and narrow than other Half-Moon Hollow protagonists, but she does have some quirks that made her stand out.  Some of my favorite scenes involved her verbal spats with the "living" members of the PTA at her son's school.

While most of the book focused on Libby adjusting to her life as a vampire and figuring out how to keep custody of Danny, she also has to deal with some unexpected romantic entanglements.  Specifically, readers get to meet Wade Tucker, a tattooed single father with a sexy drawl and the ability to irritate Libby at the most inopportune time, and Libby's mysterious sire whose past isn't as clean as she would like it to be.  I am not a fan of love triangles, but I thought this one was handled well especially since I could predict the ending and was happy with it.  I also have to mention that it was interesting to read about a possible romance where the heroine is the supernatural creature and the hero is normal person.

The Single Undead Moms Club is part of the larger Half-Moon Hollow world so, obviously, there are a ton of side characters, new and recurring.  I loved getting to see the return of Jane, Dick, Andrea, and the rest of the gang especially with Jane and Dick's new positions at the Council for the Equal Treatment of the Undead.  Unlike with the previous book, I thought the side characters were allowed to interact in the background without taking over the story.  I also enjoyed meeting Libby's son, Danny, who was cute and smart without being precocious.

While I always suggest reading series like this in order, I do think this is one that could be read as a stand-alone.  Libby is new to the whole vampire community so key points are explained without feeling repetitive for long-time fans.  And, of course, readers get Harper's signature, pop-culture infused humor which is paired perfectly with Amanda Ronconi's narration.  So, if you are looking for a hilarious, but sweet paranormal story with a quick-witted heroine, I can't recommend The Single Undead Moms Club enough.

FAVORITE QUOTE
You should be just as respectful to authority figures and public servants, even if you can now drain them dry. Because your kids are watching you. Also, because it’s still illegal to drain authority figures and public servants dry.

BOOKS IN THE SERIES
1. The Care and Feeding Stray Vampires
1.5. Driving Mr. Dead
2.5. Undead Sublet
2.6. I'm Dreaming of an Undead Christmas
3. The Dangers of Dating a Rebound Vampire
4. The Single Undead Moms Club
4.5. Fangs for the Memories
5. Where the Wild Things Bite (Coming 2016)
5.5 Big Vamp on Campus (Coming 2016)

LEARN MORE
Goodreads -- Author Website

WHERE TO GET IT
Amazon -- B&N -- BAM -- Book Depository -- Kobo -- Google Play -- All Romance -- Audible

2 comments:

  1. I defiinitely need to get caught up on the series. I read book one and I will admit I had some issues with it. Didn't hold my interest like her other series did. But since you enjoyed this one so much, I think I will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you liked this! I definitely want to listen to it. I love Molly Harper's audiobooks. They're just so much fun.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.