Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Tuesday, October 6, 2015

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Series I Am Thinking About Abandoning


Hosted by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish.

I only have eight on this week's list, but that is mostly because I am a coward who has a hard time letting go of series.  I am always afraid that, if I abandon an author/series, the next book will just be amazing and I will miss out on it.  These are eight series that I have not given up yet, but am thinking very hard on doing so.  If you have any reasons why I should stick to one or more of these, please let me know in the comments!

The King (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #12)
1. Black Dagger Brotherhood series by JR Ward (paranormal romance)
I still love the early books in this series, but I lost interest after Blay and Qhuinn finally got together.  The plots are getting more elaborate and more characters keep being added that I don't care about.  I may still read The King, but, after what I've heard about The Shadows, I think I'm done.

The Darkest Craving (Lords of The Underworld, #10)
2. Lords of the Underworld series by Gena Showalter (paranormal romance)
I continue to love the premise of this series, but have not been impressed by the writing in the most recent books.  I have started and stopped The Darkest Craving multiple times and can't get into it.  I'm not ready to officially give up, but I am very close.

Son of No One (Hellchasers, #6; Dark-Hunter, #13)
3. Darkhunters series by Sherrilyn Kenyon (paranormal romance)
This is a case of a series that has been going on forever and doesn't know where it is going.  There are characters that I am still interested in like Jaden, Jared, and Spawn.  But, I just don't have faith that the author will ever get to their stories.

Allegiant (Divergent, #3)
4. Divergent trilogy by Veronica Roth (YA dystopian)
I got unwillingly spoiled by the ending of Allegiant shortly after it came out and now I can't make myself open the book.  I am planning on watching the movie version and am hoping that it will convince me to finish the trilogy.

Hallowed (Unearthly, #2)
5. Unearthly trilogy by Cynthia Hand (YA paranormal)
I liked the first book, but have not been inspired to continue with it.  The dreaded love triangle is strong in this series and I can't handle that anymore.  But, it does still have the distinction of actually showing a decent parent-child relationship in YA fiction.

Iced (Fever, #6)
6. Fever series by Karen Marie Moning (urban fantasy)
I own Iced, but am debating on just giving it away and letting the series end with Shadowfever in my mind.  I didn't mind Dani as a side character, but am not really wanting to read from her point of view.

If You Give A Girl A Viscount (Impossible Bachelors, #4)
7. Impossible Bachelors series by Kieran Kramer (historical romance)
I read the first two books years ago and was never overly impressed with the characterization or plots.  I've heard decent things about Kramer's later series so I may skip on to those if I want to see the evolution of her skills.

City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2)
8. The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare (YA paranormal)
I know this is super popular, but I spent much of City of Bones annoyed by Jace and wanting to throttle Clary.  I liked the first Infernal Devices book much more so I think I will just hang out in that Cassandra Clare world.

10 comments:

  1. I read If You Give a Girl a viscount and wasn't really impressed with it, so I've never read anything else by Kramer. Maybe I should look into her more recent books. Or wait until you read and review them! :)

    I actually did not like the second book in the Unearthly Trilogy and have never read any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Kramer does small town contemporaries so maybe you can try those. I've heard similar things about the second Unearthly book so I will probably just skip the rest of the trilogy.

      Delete
  2. I love Dark Hunters too much to give up, but BDB totally I can't even get into The King
    my ttt
    http://hauntedgravebooks.blogspot.com/2015/10/ten-bookish-things-i-want-to-quit-or.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to quit DH, but I feel like I'm being strung along at times. I've heard good things about Dragonbane so I'll give that a try and see how I feel afterwards. For BDB, I will probably just re-read the early books (especially Lover Eternal and Lover Awakened). Are you going to try the new spin-off she's doing? It sounds interesting.

      Delete
  3. It's hard to give up on a series. Of yours I quit BDB. I was over that one at Lover Reborn. Whew that book made me want to throw it so hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't hate Lover Reborn, but I think that is because I skipped the boring parts. ;) I hate giving up a series that I was previously obsessed with.

      Delete
  4. I felt the same way about If You Give A Girl ... My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have yet to start Allegiant yet, for the exact same reason!
    My TTT; https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/10/06/top-ten-tuesday-25/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't read this particular series by Kieran Kramer, but I did read Say Yes to the Duke from her House of Brady series. I did not like it at all. I'm not sure if I would recommend this particular book even if you love The Brady Bunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well dang! I was going to try the House of Brady series. I guess I'll get a copy of one of those books from the library in case I feel the same way. Thanks!

      Delete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.