Tuesday, October 27, 2015

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Freebie--Halloween Reads for Scaredy-Cats


Hosted by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish.

I love Halloween, but I am a huge baby when it comes to scary movies, TV shows, and books.  So, for this week's Halloween freebie topic, I decided to focus on books that would be good themed reads for the scaredy-cats out there.

Driving Mr. Dead (Half Moon Hollow, #1.5)
1. Driving Mr. Dead by Molly Harper (paranormal romance)
Any of Ms. Harper's paranormals would have worked for this list, but this book is one that I enjoyed yet don't get to talk about much.

The Ghost and the Goth (The Ghost and the Goth, #1)
2. The Ghost and the Goth by Stacey Kade (YA paranormal)
The super popular girl dies in a tragic accident and her ghost comes back to haunt the weirdest guy in school?  Plenty of supernatural hijinks await!

Evernight (Darkest London, #5)
3. Evernight by Kristen Callihan (historical-paranormal romance)
This whole series would count, but I think the demon hero makes it feel even more Halloween-like for me.

Warm Bodies (Warm Bodies, #1)
4. Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion (YA dystopian)
I don't do zombies, but the humor really helped me enjoy this one.

The Replacement
5. The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff (YA paranormal)
Super creepy cover, but less scary story inside.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3)
6. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by JK Rowling (MG fantasy)
I think this is most Halloween-like of the HP books due to the appearance of the dementors, the werewolf mystery, and just whole idea of Harry being pursued by a murderer.

Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1)
7. Soulless by Gail Carriger (steampunk romance)
Lots of supernatural fun in this one paired with dry humor and a steamy romance.

Tempted At Midnight (Mayhem in Mayfair, #4)
8. Tempted at Midnight by Jacquie D'Alessandro (historical romance)
I chose this historical because one of the subplots involves figuring out whether is really a vampire sneaking around London.

The Gravedigger's Brawl
9. The Gravedigger's Brawl by Abigail Roux (M/M paranormal)
This one does get a little scary towards the end, but everything works at for the best.

Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
10. Ceremony in Death by JD Robb (romantic suspense)
Many in this series would count, but I found the occult element to be especially spine-chilling in this one.

5 comments:

  1. *raises hand* I'm one of those scardy cats. lol I could totally do these though. Woots to the JD Robb! And Molly Harper :D I still need to read that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for this list! No one has ever accused me of being brave :p We couldn't even think of enough scary books to make a list, so we had to go with creepy covers! I like the idea of going with a Horror Lite theme :) Definitely going to be checking these out :)

    http://justusbookblog.blogspot.com/2015/10/top-ten-tuesday-creepy-covers.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great topic because I don't really like scary books. I've got a few of these on my list but I'm adding some more! Thanks for the recs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like scary books, but usually its the suspense and intesity that really gets to me over horror themed books (weird right??) But I do love a good paranormal. Although I will say Karen Marie Moning is probably the perfect fit for this time of year. Love Kristen Callihan, she is fabulous. I am thinking about reading Teresa Medeiros paranormal historical's this weekend though. Those are a bit chilling in some ways.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are excellent choices! I love HP, Soulless, Molly Harper and The Ghost and the Goth.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.