Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Monday, October 12, 2015

RE-READ REVIEW: "Slave to Sensation" by Nalini Singh


Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling, #1)
(Psy-Changeling #1)

For Ages 18+ (Language, Sensuality, Violence)
Paranormal Romance

Berkley Sensation -- Published on September 2006
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Read in October 2015 (Re-read)
Purchased

RATING: 4.5 STARS

THEMES/TROPES
Alternate Universe, Alpha Hero, Fated Mates, Enemies to Lovers, Shifters

SUMMARY
In a world that denies emotions, where the ruling Psy punish any sign of desire, Sascha Duncan must conceal the feelings that brand her as flawed. To reveal them would be to sentence herself to the horror of "rehabilitation" - the complete psychic erasure of everything she ever was...

Both human and animal, Lucas Hunter is a changeling hungry for the very sensations the Psy disdain. After centuries of uneasy coexistence, these two races are now on the verge of war over the brutal murders of several changeling women. Lucas is determined to find the Psy killer who butchered his packmate, and Sascha is his ticket into their closely guarded society. But he soon discovers that this ice-cold Psy is very capable of passion - and that the animal in him is fascinated by her. Caught between their conflicting worlds, Lucas and Sascha must remain bound to their identities - or sacrifice everything for a taste of darkest temptation.



FIRST LINE
"In an effort to reduce the overwhelming incidence of insanity and serial killing in the Psy population, the Psy council decided, in the year 1969, to instigate a rigorous program called Silence."

MY THOUGHTS
I first binged on Nalini Singh's epic Psy-Changeling series five years ago and have enjoyed seeing how this unique world grows with each new installment.  Shards of Hope is the fourteenth book in the series and, after reading it, I was inspired to return to the beginning so I could experience the amazingness once again.

This series takes place in an alternate future where there are three different races on the planet: humans, changelings, and the Psy.  Slave to Sensation takes place in a time where the Psy are considered to be the rulers due to their psychic powers.  What really makes the Psy so dangerous is the fact that, over a hundred years ago, a program known as Silence was implemented to prevent all Psy from feeling emotions.

Things get started when Sascha Duncan, daughter of one of the Psy leaders, is assigned to work with the head of the DarkRiver leopard changeling pack, Lucas Hunter.  Lucas is using a possible business partnership to learn more about the Psy and figure out the identity of a Psy serial killer who is torturing and murdering changelings.  But, he does not expect to be so intrigued by Sascha who seems to be hiding some forbidden emotions.  On the other hand, Sascha has spent much of her life terrified that someone will figure out how much of a fraud she is yet she can't resist her growing feelings for Lucas.

There is so much that I could say about why I loved this book.  Lucas is exactly the type of hero that I love in paranormal romance.  He is strong, generous, and protective yet has some trauma in his past that affects his feelings for the Psy as a race.  What really made him stand out to me was the fact that, while he has arrogant moments, he is willing to listen to other people and do whatever he can to insure the safety of the Pack.

I adore Lucas, but Sascha is my clear favorite in this book and one of my top characters in the entire series.  Her strength comes from her desire to keep hold of her sanity in a world that has basically brainwashed her into thinking something is wrong with her.  I admired her ability to maintain the facade of Silence yet she also continued to show her own code of ethics.  Her sensitive, but firm nature becomes more pronounced as the story moves along.  I can't say much about why Sascha is the way that she is, but the revelations about her could be considered the catalyst for the entire series.

Plot balance is another great part of this book.  Readers get to experience the love story between Sascha and Lucas, but they also get a fascinating murder mystery and some political intrigue.  I never felt like the subplots ever took away from the main romance.  They helped enhance the overall story and also provided opportunities to meet great side characters such as Nate, Tami, Hawke, Dorian, etc.

I am so happy that Slave to Sensation proved as magical and engrossing as it did the first time I read it.  It was wonderful to see how much things have changed through the Psy-Changeling series and I am definitely planning on completing my series re-read before the next book comes out in summer 2016.  If you love creative alternate worlds, spicy romance, and unbelievable character development, I highly recommend this book and series.

FAVORITE QUOTE
"I wish I’d been born in another time, another place. Then maybe I could’ve escaped fate… maybe I could’ve been your darling."

BOOKS IN THE SERIES
1. Slave to Sensation
2. Visions of Heat
3. Caressed by Ice
4. Mine to Possess
5. Hostage to Pleasure
6. Branded by Fire
7. Blaze of Memory
8. Bonds of Justice
9. Play of Passion
10. Kiss of Snow
11. Tangle of Need
12. Heart of Obsidian
13. Shield of Winter
14. Shards of Hope

OTHER REVIEWS
All About Romance -- A
Vampire Book Club -- 4 Stars
Bookpushers -- A+

LEARN MORE
Goodreads -- Author Website

WHERE TO GET IT
Amazon -- B&N -- BAM -- Book Depository -- Kobo -- Google Play -- All Romance -- Audible

3 comments:

  1. I have heard so much about Nalini Singh; and all great stuff. My co-blogger and best friend is a huge fan, so you can understand all the fangirling sessions I've had to listen to. I'm so glad you were able to enjoy this book, and I sure hope you end up enjoying the others more. Wonderful review, Jennifer!

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so need to read more Nalini Sing. I'm generally don't really into adult paranormal romance, but I'm thinking I need to give these a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this series! Nalini Singh is one of my favourite adult authors (her contemporary books are amazing too) so I'm so glad you love them too :) I agree that she manages to mix action, mystery, and romance together wonderfully, even more so with the later books in the series. Great review!

    Zareena @ The Slanted Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.