Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Friday, October 30, 2015

REVIEW: "Scandal Takes the Stage" by Eva Leigh


Scandal Takes the Stage (The Wicked Quills of London, #2)
(Wicked Quills of London #2)

For Ages 18+ (Language, Sensuality)
Historical Romance -- Regency England

Avon -- Published on October 27, 2015
eARC, 384 pages
Read in October 2015
Received from Edelweiss

RATING: 4 STARS

THEMES/TROPES
Class Differences, Hero is a Rake, Writer Heroine

SUMMARY
Successful playwright Maggie Delamere has no interest in the flirtations of noblemen like Cameron, Viscount Marwood. She once paid dearly for a moment of weakness . . . and vows to rebuff the wildly persistent—and irritatingly handsome—scoundrel at every turn. But when pressure to deliver a new play hampers her creativity, an invitation to use his country estate as a writer’s retreat is too tempting to resist...

For years, Cam has admired Maggie’s brilliant work, and he can’t pass up the opportunity to discover if the beautiful, mysterious playwright is as passionate and clever as the words that flow from her quill. He’s never offered a lady his bed without being in it, but if it means loosening Maggie’s pen—and her inhibitions—he’ll do exactly that.

But soon Cam’s plans for seduction become a fight for Maggie’s heart. He’s more than the scandalous, carefree rake society believes him to be . . . and she’s the only woman who has ever noticed.


FIRST LINE
"The curtain at the Imperial Theater fell."

MY THOUGHTS
I received a free copy of this book from Avon via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

The Wicked Quills of London series features heroines who are prominent writers in Regency England.  The first book, Forever Your Earl, focused on the owner of a famous scandal sheet and I really enjoyed that so I had high expectations for the sequel, Scandal Takes the Stage, which features a female playwright.  And I found it to be just as charming and thought-provoking as its predecessor.

Maggie Delamere's burlettas are the main attraction at the Imperial Theater and her biggest fan is Cameron, Viscount Marwood.  Cam has been obsessed with Maggie's work for years and, after meeting her, decides that he wants to learn more about her.  Despite his abundant charm, Maggie wants nothing to do with him and is trying to focus on her newest play which is giving her a bad case of writer's block.  These two very different people end up in a battle of wits that could result in heartbreak or the love of a lifetime.

I loved everything about Maggie!  She comes from humble beginnings and, when she ends up in a bit of trouble, she uses her intellect and considerable talents to pull herself out of it.  There is a bit of mistrust of aristocrats in her which is understandable considering what she had gone through.  Her writer's block is throwing her off, but she isn't letting that or Cam's attentions distract her from her goal.  Cam is not as well-developed as Maggie, but he is easy to like and works as a partner for her.  I especially enjoyed his passion for the theater and how much he wanted to help Maggie with her writing.  The idea of a hero being the muse for the heroine was unique and a lot of fun!

The plot of Scandal Takes the Stage focuses on the slow-burn romance and the effort to get her latest play to the stage.  I found the way that the author built up the relationship between Maggie and Cam to be a real highlight.  They come from such different worlds that they developed a working relationship which moved to friendship which evolved into love.  I appreciated the care that was given to their love story which has some social implications in this time period.  It was also interesting to see the way the romance and the writing of the play developed simultaneously.  I did think the ending was a little over-the top, but it did work pretty well for this couple.

I think this historical would appeal to anybody who likes capable heroines and the heroes who adore them.  I am definitely anticipating the third Wicked Quills novel, which I believe will focus on Cam's snarky vicar of a cousin.  I love seeing women make their way in time period where it wasn't easy to strike out on their own so this series just makes me want to stand up and applaud their ingenuity. 

FAVORITE QUOTE
"I do not swan.  I stride about with masculine, virile purpose."

BOOKS IN THE SERIES
1. Forever Your Earl
2. Scandal Takes the Stage
3. Temptations of a Wallflower (Coming 2016)

LEARN MORE
Goodreads --Author Website

WHERE TO GET IT
Amazon -- B&N -- BAM -- Book Depository -- Kobo -- Google Play -- All Romance -- Audible

4 comments:

  1. I've heard great things about this series. I started the audio of Forever Your Earl but couldn't stand the narration so stopped almost immediately. I think I will enjoy it more as a print book.

    Anyway, so glad this lived up to the first books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved this story, not as much as the first one but really had fun with it. Loved how the heroine was a play writer. That was so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man. I'm kicking myself for not grabbing these! I love when the heroines (or heroes really) have something to do with writing. Such a fun element :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I like the sound of this book :) I really enjoy historical romances and slow-burn romances always pull me in too. Great review and thanks for sharing!

    Zareena @ The Slanted Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.