Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Friday, October 16, 2015

NOVELLA REVIEW: "The Duke and Miss Christmas" by Amelia Grey

The Duke and Miss Christmas (The Heirs' Club of Scoundrels Trilogy, #2.5)
(The Heirs' Club of Scoundrels #2.5)

For Ages 18+ (Language, Sensuality)
Historical Romance -- Regency England

St. Martin's Press -- Published on October 13, 2015
eARC, 84 pages
Read in October 2015
Received from Netgalley

RATING: 3.5 STARS

THEMES/TROPES
Holidays, Reformed Rake, Family Interference

SUMMARY
Crispin, the Duke of Hurst, has never met a woman he couldn't handle--until he's hit over the head with a basketful of mistletoe by a young lady who mistakes his intentions. When he gets into a tussle with her--and she can hold her own--Crispin knows he has finally met his match.

Miss Gwen Prim is mortified that she attacked a duke, but even more concerning is the way her resolve melts when she's near him. She's never felt this way about a London gentleman in her life. And with the magic of Christmas in the air, she may end up with a proposal she didn't expect...


FIRST LINE
"Crispin, the seventh  Duke of Hurst, stopped his horse when he crested the rise and spied something that puzzled him in the misty whorls of fading fog."

MY THOUGHTS
I received a free copy of this book from St. Martin's Press via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

It is almost the holiday season...at least in romance novella land!  I have an odd sense of affection for holiday-themed stories so I had to check out Amelia Grey's The Duke and Miss Christmas.  It also doesn't hurt that Ms. Grey is a new-to-me author and this seemed like a good chance to check out her writing.  While this story did have the pacing issues that often plague novellas, I found it easy to get into and a decent way to spend a few hours.

The "meet cute" for Crispin and Gwen is one of the funniest I've seen in historical romance in awhile...she misunderstands a situation and starts beating him over the head with a basket.  It is a good example of the rest of their love story which I would describe as adorable.  He is a reformed rake who isn't opposed to love, but also isn't desperately looking for it.  She feels overshadowed by her sisters at times and feels like she lost her chance with Crispin after their initial meeting.  They work really well as a couple and the author makes sure that they spend time talking and hanging out together which I appreciated.

The only problem I had was the pacing which, as I said, happens quite often in novellas.  While I'm not sure how this particular romance would do as a full-length story due to the lack of external drama, I feel like it could have benefited from a few more pages of character development.  I was able to get a good read on Crispin's character, but not as much with Gwen.  The romance moved along at a pretty frenzied speed as a result of the page length too.

Overall, I thought that The Duke and Miss Christmas was a good introduction to Amelia Grey's writing and the Heirs' Club of Scoundrels trilogy.  The style was something that I enjoyed and I am interested in Gwen's sister's story after meeting her here.  Not the most original romance I've ever read, but I found it enjoyable and worth my time.

BOOKS IN THE SERIES
1. The Duke in My Bed
2. The Earl Claims a Bride
2.5. The Duke and Miss Christmas
3. Wedding Night with the Earl (Coming 2016)

LEARN MORE
Goodreads -- Author Website

WHERE TO GET IT
Amazon -- B&N -- Kobo -- Google Play

2 comments:

  1. It's always great to find a story that is enjoyable to read. I haven't read this author yet, but I have been thinking about getting this novella.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh what a meet! I love Christmas reads. I'll have to add this one to the list :D

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.