Thursday, September 24, 2015

THEME THURSDAY: Tearjerkers

This is part of a feature where I focus on a specific theme (or trope) that I have found in my years as a voracious reader/blogger.  I love finding commonalities between my favorite books and how that helps define me as a reader.

Please note this is not meant to be a comprehensive list.  I am just picking a few examples of this trope.  So, if you have a favorite example of this theme, let me know about it in the comments.  I'm always on the lookout for more books to be added to my wishlist.


TEARJERKERS



Historical Romance
The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by Jennifer Ashley
Simply Love by Mary Balogh
Seduction of a Highland Lass by Maya Banks
The Highwayman by Kerrigan Byrne
A Lady By Midnight by Tessa Dare
England's Perfect Hero by Suzanne Enoch
The Perfect Waltz by Anne Gracie
The Duke and the Lady in Red by Lorraine Heath
Texas Destiny by Lorraine Heath
Always to Remember by Lorraine Heath
Duke of Midnight by Elizabeth Hoyt
Dreaming of You by Lisa Kleypas
Born in Sin by Kinley MacGregor
Yours Until Dawn by Teresa Medeiros
The Countess Conspiracy by Courtney Milan
Unlocked by Courtney Milan
The Rake by Mary Jo Putney
When He Was Wicked by Julia Quinn
Morning Glory by Lavyrle Spencer
A Private Gentleman by Heidi Cullinan (m/m)

Contemporary Romance
Something Like Summer by Jay Bell (m/m)
The Bollywood Bride by Sonali Dev
The Truth As He Knows It by A.M. Arthur (m/m)
Carry the Ocean by Heidi Cullinan (m/m)
Snow-Kissed by Laura Florand
Broken by Lauren Layne
Between Sinners and Saints by Marie Sexton (m/m)
Strawberries for Dessert by Marie Sexton (m/m)
The Royal We by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan

Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy
Demon from the Dark by Kresley Cole
Seize the Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Acheron by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Lover Awakened by JR Ward
At Grave's End by Jeaniene Frost

Young Adult Fiction
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian by Sherman Alexie
Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout
The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins
Whale Talk by Chris Crutcher
Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper
Dreamland by Sarah Dessen
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa
Dark Triumph by Robin LaFevers
Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead
Shades of Earth by Beth Revis
Harry Potter series by JK Rowling
Fruits Basket series by Natsuki Takaya

UPCOMING THEMES

  • Courtesans/Mistresses
  • Fake Relationships

3 comments:

  1. I'm not the biggest fan of tearjerkers. Or even books that make me weepy. I like happy books. But sometimes I do read them and enjoy them. I recently read Never Seduce a Highlander and I definitely got weepy in that one. When Eveline realized that the women had tricked her into doing all the work, and when she felt like she would never fit in. My eyes totally filled up with tears then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FRUITS BASKET. It was so sad, well super funny, but so sad too. Poor Kyo. When Yuki was mean to him, sometimes I had to cover my eyes because I was so freaking sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer books that make me giggle with excitement, haha

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.