Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Thursday, September 17, 2015

THEME THURSDAY: Animals in Romance

This is part of a feature where I focus on a specific theme (or trope) that I have found in my years as a voracious reader/blogger.  I love finding commonalities between my favorite books and how that helps define me as a reader.

Please note this is not meant to be a comprehensive list.  I am just picking a few examples of this trope.  So, if you have a favorite example of this theme, let me know about it in the comments.  I'm always on the lookout for more books to be added to my wishlist.

ANIMALS

Dogs
Newton -- The Viscount Who Loved Me by Julia Quinn (historical romance)
Jock -- The Raven Prince by Elizabeth Hoyt (historical romance)
Lady Grey -- To Beguile a Beast by Elizabeth Hoyt (historical romance)
Sam -- Yours Until Dawn by Teresa Medeiros (historical romance)
Oyster -- A Duke of Her Own by Eloisa James (historical romance)
Muffin -- Slightly Married by Mary Balogh (historical romance)
Ellingsworth -- Say Yes to the Marquess by Tessa Dare (historical romance)
Eeenie, Meenie, Teenie, Beenie, Randolph -- How to Capture a Countess by Karen Hawkins (historical romance)
Fitz -- Jane Jameson series by Molly Harper (paranormal romance)
George -- Black Dagger Brotherhood series by JR Ward (paranormal romance)
Brodie -- The Unleashed by Shelly Laurenston (paranormal romance)
Oberon -- Iron Druid Chronicles series by Kevin Hearne (urban fantasy)
Grendel -- Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews (urban fantasy)
Pooh -- It Had To Be You by Susan Elizabeth Phillips (contemporary romance)
Dolly -- Between Sinners and Saints by Marie Sexton (M/M contemporary)

Cats
Malcolm -- How to Marry a Marquis by Julia Quinn (historical romance)
Mr. Pigeon -- And Then He Kissed Her by Laura Lee Guhrke (historical romance)
Boo -- Black Dagger Brotherhood series by JR Ward (paranormal romance)
Clive -- Wallbanger by Alice Clayton (contemporary romance)
Galahad -- In Death series by JD Robb (romantic suspense)
Mister -- Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher (urban fantasy)
Fat Louie -- Princess Diaries series by Meg Cabot (YA contemporary)
Buttercup -- Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins (YA dystopian)
Geisha -- A to Z by Marie Sexton (M/M contemporary)

Other
Freddie the ferret -- The Proposition by Judith Ivory (historical romance)
Medusa the hedgehog -- Love in the Afternoon by Lisa Kleypas (historical romance)
Marigold the mongoose -- Mr. Impossible by Loretta Chase (historical romance)
Snowdrop the ermine -- Romancing the Duke by Tessa Dare (historical romance)
Kero the monkey -- The Care and Taming of a Rogue by Suzanne Enoch (historical romance)
Mickey the ferret -- Pleasure Unbound by Larissa Ione (paranormal romance)
Tater the elephant -- Kiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth Phillips (contemporary romance)
Hedwig the snowy owl -- Harry Potter series by JK Rowling (YA fantasy)

UPCOMING THEMES
  • Tearjerkers -- September 24
  • Courtesans/Mistresses -- October 1
  • Fake Relationships -- October 8

3 comments:

  1. oh I just love animals in books. I especially loved Mr. Pigeon and Medusa the Hedgehog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when there are adorable, personality filled animals/pets in books. I LOVED Snowdrop the ermine from Romancing the Duke. And Ellingsworth, too of course. I really liked the dog from Saving Grace, but I can't remember his name at the moment. I really really love dogs. Oh but I love the cat from How to Marry a Marquis too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brodie was my favorite but so was Annie in the first book of Jaci Burton's Hope series.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.