Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Friday, September 4, 2015

REVIEW: "The Brigadier's Runaway Bride" by Erica Ridley


The Brigadier's Runaway Bride (The Dukes of War, #5)
(Dukes of War #5)

For Ages 18+ (Language, Sensuality)
Historical Romance -- Regency England

Intrepid Reads -- Published on September 1, 2015
eARC, 250 pages
Read in August 2015
Received from Netgalley

RATING: 3 STARS

THEMES/TROPES
Childhood Sweethearts, Reunited Couple, Returning Military, Pregnancy/Babies

SUMMARY
Miss Sarah Fairfax is having a wretched year. Her intended perished at war. His child is in her belly. To secure her future, she resigns herself to a loveless marriage. Just as she’s about to say "I do," her fiancĂ©e returns from the grave to crash the wedding... but he’s no longer the charming, carefree man she remembers.

After being left for dead on the battlefield, Brigadier Edmund Blackpool is scarred inside and out. He fights his way home only to discover his intended before the altar with his best friend. He'll be the one to marry her, no matter what she wants! But when his new bride disappears with his child, he must reopen his wounds to win the most important battle of his life.



FIRST LINE
"Most women would be delighted to find themselves mere moments away from being a duchess."

MY THOUGHTS
I received a free copy of this book from Intrepid Reads via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Dukes of War series has been a back and forth experience for me.  I thought it took some time for the series to get going, but the fourth book (The Major's Faux Fiancee) was enjoyable and I was looking forward to this installment.  I also was excited because poor Sarah Fairfax and the long-lost Edmund Blackpool would finally be able to reunite and get their well-deserved happy ending.

Sarah and Edmund were betrothed before the war started and they spent one amazing night together.  The next day Edmund was gravely injured and thought to be dead by his brother and his friends.  Sarah is devastated by her betrothed's death and her life just gets worse when she discovers that she is pregnant.  Earlier books in the series have shown Edmund's friends trying to help Sarah with the Duke of Ravenwood offering to marry her.  And, of course, things are thrown for a loop when Edmund shows up at the wedding and discovers the truth about what has been going on for the past eight and a half months.

While I got through The Brigadier's Runaway Bride pretty quickly, I found myself a little disappointed.  Edmund and Sarah's story had so much potential, but the whole thing felt rushed and unsatisfactory.  I thought the development of both characters was well-done.  Sarah had a difficult time after Edmund went missing and I admired her ability to be realistic about her situation.  And I felt for Edmund who did everything he could to return to her and was shocked by what he came back to.  But, as a couple, they kept being put in situations without being allowed to just be together and I felt like the romance suffered.  I also wished that more time had been given to the issues that Edmund brought back from the war because it felt like it was just glossed over.

I hated to have this type of reaction to a book that I was really looking forward to.  I do still enjoy Erica Ridley's writing so I will continue with the series, but I will go into them with more hesitation than I did this time.

BOOKS IN THE SERIES
1. The Viscount's Christmas Temptation
2. The Earl's Defiant Wallflower
3. The Captain's Bluestocking Mistress
4. The Major's Faux Fiancee
5. The Brigadier's Runaway Bride
6. The Pirate's Tempting Stowaway (Coming 2015)
7. The Duke's Accidental Wife (Coming 2016)

LEARN MORE
Goodreads -- Author Website

WHERE TO GET IT
Amazon -- B&N -- Kobo -- Google Play -- All Romance

1 comment:

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.