Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Tuesday, August 25, 2015

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Books on the Syllabus of Historical Romance 101


Hosted by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish.

I couldn't narrow this list down so you all get 15 books that I would have on a syllabus for Historical Romance 101!

Frederica
1. Frederica by Georgette Heyer [1965]
Austen-esque writing/setting more than a hundred years after Austen.

The Flame and the Flower
2. The Flame and the Flower by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss [1972]
Considered by most to be the first historical romance novel.

The Windflower
3. The Windflower by Laura London [1984]
Pirate romance for the win!

Libby's London Merchant (Nesbitt, #1)
4. Libby's London Merchant by Carla Kelly [1991]
Traditional Regency with an early love triangle.

A Christmas Promise
5. A Christmas Promise by Mary Balogh [1992]
Christmas-themed books are still popular and Balogh is one of the best at them.

The Bride (Lairds' Fiancées, #1)
6. The Bride by Julie Garwood [1989]
Humor in romance!

Flowers from the Storm
7. Flowers from the Storm by Laura Kinsale [1992]
Tortured hero and a couple that should not work, but does so well.  Beautiful prose.

Devil's Bride (Cynster, #1)
8. Devil's Bride by Stephanie Laurens [1998]
One of the first family series I've seen.

Dreaming of You (Gamblers, #2)
9. Dreaming of You by Lisa Kleypas [1994]
Self-made hero who runs a gambling hell...very unique at the time.

The Lady's Tutor
10. The Lady's Tutor by Robin Schone [1999]
Erotic historical romance.

Lord of Scoundrels (Scoundrels, #3)
11. Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase [1995]
Many polls have this at or near the top of lists of best historical romances ever.

Indigo
12. Indigo by Beverly Jenkins [1996]
Diverse characters in romance...which we need more of.

What Happens in London (Bevelstoke, #2)
13. What Happens in London by Julia Quinn [2009]
Super-popular author and a great example of her work.

The Madness of Lord Ian MacKenzie (MacKenzies & McBrides, #1)
14. The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by Jennifer Ashley [2009]
The depiction of the hero who is on the autism spectrum.

Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake (Love By Numbers, #1)
15. Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake by Sarah MacLean [2010]
I've seen this mentioned as a historical romance that many people start with nowadays.

5 comments:

  1. what a fabulous list you have here. I loved The Flame the the Flower, one of my first romance novels was one of her books. Dreaming of You is just fabulous...one of my all time favorites from Kleypas. Oh and Yay for Devil's Bride, I just loved the Cynster family. And Ian Mackenzie is so fabulous, I love him and Beth, and I love how frank he is and doesn't hold anything back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read quite a few of these, but still need to get caught up on historical classics.

      Delete
  2. yay! one of my favorite genres!! Kleypas, MacLean, Garwood - fabulous! My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great topic! I would take this class in a heartbeat. Kleypas got me hooked on reading romance, so I'm very happy to see her here. And I love that Loretta Chase book - I think it's still one of my favorites. And the Woodiwiss and Kinsale books are both ones I reread this past year! :) I'll need to look up The Lady's Tutor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much fun! I first wanted to do romance as a whole, not just contemp romance, but I had so many books too. I think around 16, and I felt like I needed more. So I limited it to contemp romance which worked better for me.

    Also, I would have sooo loved a course like this in college.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.