Wednesday, August 12, 2015

REVIEW: "Trust the Focus" by Megan Erickson


Trust the Focus (In Focus, #1)
Trust the Focus by Megan Erickson
(In Focus #1)

For Ages 18+ (Language, Sensuality)
Male/Male Contemporary -- New Adult

Intermix -- Published on March 17, 2015
Ebook, 222 pages
Read in July 2015
Purchased from Amazon

RATING: 4 STARS

THEMES/TROPES
First Person Narrative, Road Trip, Friends to Lovers

SUMMARY
With his college graduation gown expertly pitched into the trash, Justin Akron is ready for the road trip he planned with his best friend Landry— and ready for one last summer of escape from his mother’s controlling grip. Climbing into the Winnebago his father left him, they set out across America in search of the sites his father had captured through the lens of his Nikon.

As an aspiring photographer, Justin can think of no better way to honor his father’s memory than to scatter his ashes at the sites he held sacred. And there’s no one Justin would rather share the experience with more than Landry.

But Justin knows he can’t escape forever. Eventually he’ll have to return home and join his mother’s Senate campaign. Nor can he escape the truth of who he is, and the fact that he’s in love with his out-and-proud travel companion.

Admitting what he wants could hurt his mother’s conservative political career. But with every click of his shutter and every sprinkle of ash, Justin can’t resist Landry’s pull. And when the truth comes into focus, neither is prepared for the secrets the other is hiding.


FIRST LINE
"More than a thousand graduation caps flew into the air behind me, but I was already walking down the aisle between the concrete bleachers."

MY THOUGHTS
Trust the Focus is an emotional and funny road trip romance between two best friends.  Justin leaves his college graduation to embark on a cross-country tour of America in an effort to honor his late father by spreading his ashes at some of his favorite spots.  Accompanying him on the journey is his best friend, Landry, who is the opposite of Justin in every way.  The whole situation is complicated by the fact that Justin is deep in the closet and secretly pining for the out-and-proud Landry.

I adore road trips in books so I was predestined to enjoy this.  I love the close quarters that Justin and Landry were forced into and the intimacy of spending so much down time together.  As friends, I thought they were really fun together.  Readers get see the years of friendship in their casual conversations as well as a few well-timed flashbacks.  It is always fun to read about friends who are so different from one another and they are a great example with Justin as the supposedly straight athlete with a conservative politician mother and Landry as the tattooed, artistic former foster child who needs an emotional anchor.

I really fell in love with these guys when romance started to get in the way.  Landry has had a crush on Justin for awhile, but has resigned himself to settling for friendship only while Justin is trying to deal with his feelings and his fear of coming out.  I was a little worried that the author would drag out the BIG SECRET for too long, but she did not.  Much of the book focuses on these two coming to terms with themselves as a couple and figuring out their future.

If I had to pick an issue with Trust the Focus, I would say that it would be Justin's inconsistency.  I fully get that he is afraid how his news will be taken by everyone he cares about, but, once he revealed the truth to Landry, I found myself irritated by how wishy-washy he was.  He also has a huge stupid moment which requires major groveling on his part.

Despite my occasional irritations with Justin, I really had a good time reading this.  I laughed and cried at various times which always signals that my emotions are invested in the story.  I liked Megan  Erickson's writing style and her commitment to these characters.  I am looking forward to trying out the next book in the series soon.

FAVORITE QUOTE
"Are you really here?” I asked.
“Put down the camera.”
“Are you really here?”
"Trust the focus and put down the camera.”



BOOKS IN THE SERIES
1. Trust the Focus
2. Focus on Me

LEARN MORE
Goodreads -- Author Website

WHERE TO GET IT
Amazon -- B&N -- BAM -- Kobo -- Google Play -- All Romance

2 comments:

  1. I do love Megan Erickson, I do need to read more of her. Great Review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been hearing SUCH good things about Megan Erickson lately. I've only read one of her books, which I liked but wasn't in love with. I definitely need to explore her books a little more.

    Glad you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.