Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Friday, August 14, 2015

REVIEW: "The Mistake" by Elle Kennedy


The Mistake (Off-Campus, #2)
The Mistake by Elle Kennedy
(Off-Campus #2)

For Ages 18+ (Language, Sensuality)
New Adult -- Contemporary Romance

Self-Published -- Published on April 28, 2015
Ebook, 297 pages
Read in August 2015
Purchased from Amazon

RATING: 4 STARS

THEMES/TROPES
Dual Points of View, Sports Romance

SUMMARY
He’s a player in more ways than one…
College junior John Logan can get any girl he wants. For this hockey star, life is a parade of parties and hook-ups, but behind his killer grins and easygoing charm, he hides growing despair about the dead-end road he’ll be forced to walk after graduation. A sexy encounter with freshman Grace Ivers is just the distraction he needs, but when a thoughtless mistake pushes her away, Logan plans to spend his final year proving to her that he’s worth a second chance.

Now he’s going to need to up his game…
After a less than stellar freshman year, Grace is back at Briar University, older, wiser, and so over the arrogant hockey player she nearly handed her V-card to. She’s not a charity case, and she’s not the quiet butterfly she was when they first hooked up. If Logan expects her to roll over and beg like all his other puck bunnies, he can think again. He wants her back? He’ll have to work for it. This time around, she’ll be the one in the driver’s seat…and she plans on driving him wild.


FIRST LINE
"Lusting over your best friend's girlfriend sucks."

MY THOUGHTS
The Mistake continues the adventures of a group of friends who play for the Briar University hockey team and live in a house off the main campus.  The first book featured the team's captain, Graham, and now the focus shifts to his best friend, Logan.  The series continues to be strong with it's well-developed characters and mature approach to college relationships.

I will admit that I was hesitant at the beginning because Logan starts the story having a crush on his best friend's girlfriend.  While I can understand how that could happen, I thought it would be difficult to believe in him feeling the same for someone else.  Thankfully, Kennedy provides a good explanation for Logan's predicament and makes it easy to see how he could fall for Grace so smoothly.

Logan was my favorite part of the entire book.  He has a reputation as a laid-back ladies man which is valid, but there is so much more to him.  His focus is on enjoying the college experience because he has made a deal with his brother that he will return to his hometown and run his father's hardware store.  This is a realistic situation that made Logan sympathetic and easy to root for.  He does make a major mistake (hence the title) with his relationship with Grace, but I never felt like he did it to be cruel.  I really appreciated his willingness to do anything to prove himself to her and truly seemed to understand that he was in the wrong.

While Logan was my favorite, I still had a good time reading about Grace.  I liked her both before and after Logan's mistake.  She is strong-willed and independent while also having some vulnerabilities.  I always enjoy a heroine that knows her worth and makes sure that the hero knows it without being a snob.  It was also great to see her fight for Logan's future once they did get together.  They worked really well as a couple which is what I want in a romance!

I also adored getting to see more of Logan's roommates, Tucker and Dean.  Dean is especially intriguing to me with his obsession with sleeping around.  I don't judge him for it, but I have a feeling that it will cause a stir when he finally falls in love.  And Tucker is just so adorable!  He is the epitome of a nice guy and I think his story will be really fun as well.

The Mistake was an enjoyable read that had me smiling and sighing with happiness.  Elle Kennedy does a great job developing her characters and making readers fall in love with them.  Plus there is a fun cameo mention of Drew Baylor from Kristen Callihan's amazing romance, The Hook Up.  I hope there is a mash-up of these two worlds sometime soon!

FAVORITE QUOTE
"What the hell are you doing over there, anyway?  You've been scribbling on that notepad for the past hour."
"I'm writing a love poem," I answer without thinking.  Then I slam my lips together, realizing what I've done.  Dead silence crashes over the the kitchen.

BOOKS IN THE SERIES
1. The Deal
2. The Mistake
3. The Score (Coming soon)

LEARN MORE
Goodreads -- Author Website

WHERE TO GET IT
Amazon -- B&N -- BAM -- Book Depository -- Kobo

4 comments:

  1. I loooved The deal and I'm very much looking forward to reading this one, Elle Kennedy is such a talented writer ! Great review, thanks for sharing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely adored The Deal but so far haven't picked The Mistake up, even though I loved Logan in book 1 :) I'm glad to hear that you liked both of the characters and that the other friends are present in this book too (they were great in The Deal!). Awesome review!

    Zareena @ The Slanted Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really do enjoy reading characters that are strong but also vulnerable as well. I have read The Deal, but I do need to get in gear for this book. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man Logan sounds like a great hero (mistake not withstanding lol). I like when they have that realistic type situation. And love her books. Gotta get this series started soon.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.