Monday, August 3, 2015

NOVELLA REVIEW: "A Lady's Guide to Skirting Scandal" by Kelly Bowen


A Lady's Guide to Skirting Scandal (The Lords of Worth, #2.5)
A Lady's Guide to Skirting Scandal by Kelly Bowen
(Lords of Worth #2.5)

For Ages 18+ (Language, Sensuality)
Historical Romance -- Regency England

Forever Yours -- Published on August 4, 2015
eARC, 90 pages
Read in July 2015
Received from Netgalley

RATING: 4 STARS

THEMES/TROPES
Away from the Ballroom, Nautical Setting, Doctor Hero

SUMMARY
Lady Viola Hextall is bored—of the ocean, her chaperones, and the woeful lack of available dukes on the ocean voyage from London to New York. Scrambling for any diversion short of jumping overboard, Viola strikes up a conversation with the ship's rough-hewn, blue-eyed surgeon—and discovers an immediate cure for what ails her...

To Nathaniel Shaw, Viola has the bearing of a lady and the spirit of an adventurer—an unlikely combination that he finds utterly irresistible. So he's hoping to convince Viola to leave the stifling ballrooms of London high society behind because there is a big, wide world just waiting for them to explore—together.
 

FIRST LINE
"Viola Hextall had spent a great deal of time consider what monikers to bestow upon her two captors."

MY THOUGHTS
I received a free copy of this book from Forever Yours via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was one entertaining and romantic story!  Novellas are normally difficult for me to enjoy due to their shortened page length which often results in a lack of character and/or relationship development.  Well, A Lady's Guide to Skirting Scandal is one of those rare novellas that felt like a fully realized story.  I could have kept reading about Viola and Nate, but I never felt that the story required more pages.

Viola Hextall is the sister of an earl who has been put on a ship to New York City in order to keep her from causing a scandal.  Readers learn that she had previously tried to seduce a duke that was friend's with her brother and was, thankfully, saved from ruin.  I absolutely adored her!  She tries hard to be a proper lady, but just can't fully control her adventurous and sometimes reckless spirit.  When she is finally given the opportunity to show what she can is truly capable of, she shines so brightly and is such a likable character.

The person who helps Viola reclaim her dignity is Nathaniel Shaw, a ship's surgeon, who is immediately attracted to her.  I loved how the author had Nate explain the issues with pursuing someone of Viola's class yet never had him moping around or feeling defeated.  He is a character who has gone through a lot and knows who he is though he still has an emotional journey to go on himself.  Nate does worry about whether he could truly give Viola a life she would be happy with, but I admired his willingness to go for it.

I had a great time watching Viola and Nate interact whether it was in Nate's surgery room or merely strolling on the ship's deck.  They are an example of a couple that just works from the first moment that they meet and, for the most part, are willing to take things as they come.  Both of them find admirable qualities in the other early on and their meetings just enhance those feelings.  I came away from A Lady's Guide to Skirting Scandal fully believing that they will be happy and productive in their lives together.

BOOKS IN THE SERIES
1. I've Got My Duke to Keep Me Warm
2. A Good Rogue is Hard to Find
2.5. The Lady's Guide to Skirting Scandal
3. You're the Earl that I Want (Coming 2015)

LEARN MORE
Goodreads -- Author Website

WHERE TO GET IT
Amazon -- B&N -- BAM -- Kobo -- Google Play -- All Romance

4 comments:

  1. I agree that novella's can be hard to really enjoy. I am thrilled to hear this was a good one. I do love this author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Novellas are really tough, aren't they. But every once in awhile they just work and I love when that happens. Also, the cover is so pretty! I definitely need to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for having me and for the lovely review! I'm thrilled you enjoyed it - I had a lot of fun writing this story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I'm looking forward to this one. We read book one in my book club last month and it was so fun :) Yay for this one being good too. Novellas really are tricky. Great to see an author get them right :)

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.