Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Wednesday, June 24, 2015

REVIEW: "A Good Rogue is Hard to Find" by Kelly Bowen


A Good Rogue is Hard to Find (The Lords of Worth, #2)
A Good Rogue is Hard to Find by Kelly Bowen
(The Lords of Worth #2)

For Ages 18+ (Language, Sensuality)
Historical Romance -- Regency England

Forever -- Published on April 28, 2015
e-ARC, 358 pages
Read in June 2015
Received from Netgalley

Rating: 3.5 Stars

THEMES/TROPES
Beta Hero, Lady's Companion

SUMMARY
HE THOUGHT HE'D SEEN IT ALL . . .

The rogue's life has been good to William Somerhall: He has his fortune, his racehorses, and his freedom. Then he moves in with his mother. It seems the eccentric Dowager Duchess of Worth has been barely skirting social disaster-assisted by one Miss Jenna Hughes, who is far too bright and beautiful to be wasting her youth as a paid companion. Now home to keep his mother from ruin, William intends to learn what's afoot by keeping his friends close-and the tempting Miss Hughes closer still.

. . . UNTIL HE MEETS HER

He's tall, dark, and damnably intelligent-unfortunately for Jenna. She and the duchess are in the "redistribution business," taking from the rich and giving to the poor, and it's going great - until he shows up. But even as William plots to make an honest woman out of her, Jenna will use all her wiles to reveal just how bad a rogue he can be . . .


FIRST LINE
"William Somerhall, Duke of Worth, glared at the clock on the mantel."

MY THOUGHTS
I received a free copy of this book from Forever via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

A Good Rogue is Hard to Find is the second book in the Lords of Worth series, but can easily be read as a stand-alone.  It features William, Somerhall, Duke of Worth, who is pretty happy with his life except for the rumors that his mother is losing her mind.  He is very protective of his reputation so, after a hilarious visit to her dower house, he decides he is moving in to keep her from ruining her good name.  But, he is thrown off when he meets her paid companion, Jenna, who is helping his mother keep a secret from him.

William and Jenna are characters that are very easy to like.  Despite the title and the book blurb, William is not anymore of a rogue that any other romantic hero.  He is extremely intelligent and cares for his mother though he doesn't always show it.  Jenna, at first, appears to be a typical secretive lady's companion, but her unique personality shines when the Dowager's real mission is revealed and her skills are shown off.

As a couple, William and Jenna were very cute.  They have immediate chemistry and, while they are hesitant to jump into a relationship, they don't fight very hard either.  I liked how they found one another easy to talk to and it is clear that they help make one another a better person.  Jenna helps William become more conscious of the social issues that plague London and William teaches her to not be so hard on herself for decisions in her past.

The plot of A Good Rogue is Hard to Find centers around Jenna and the Dowager's plan for a popular horse race which they believe will help many people.  William's relationship with his mother is also a major storyline which I enjoyed.  The Dowager carefully cultivated a reputation as an eccentric and it was fascinating to see how exactly she did it.  I did get frustrated when William and Jenna's romance took a backseat to the horse race plot since I was enjoying that so much.  I found the whole deception angle to be boring and it was drawn out too long.

If you are looking for a cute, but easygoing historical romance, I think you would enjoy this book.  It doesn't really do anything I haven't seen in this genre before, but I do not regret spending my time with it.  I was impressed with Kelly Bowen's characterization skills so I may check out more of her books in the future.

BOOKS IN THE SERIES
1. I've Got My Duke to Keep Me Warm
2. A Good Rogue is Hard to Find
3. You're the Earl That I Want (Coming 2015)

LEARN MORE
Goodreads -- LibraryThing -- BookLikes -- Shelfari
Author Website

WHERE TO BUY
Amazon -- B&N -- BAM -- Book Depository -- Kobo -- Google Play -- All Romance

6 comments:

  1. I really liked this one, but what I liked about this that made is seem different, was how Bowen wrote her characters, they really came alive for me. And it seemed to stand out more than other books in this genre that have been coming out lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the characters! I think the Dowager was my favorite. Despite my less than perfect rating, I definitely saw something different in Bowen's style that I liked.

      Delete
  2. I've got book one on my list for July. It's our group read for book club :D Glad to see they're enjoyable! (I just love that cover too)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm interested to see what you think of the book one. There were parts of this book that I got bored with, but the writing style and characterization were wonderful.

      Delete
  3. This does seem pretty cute, but also a book I would skim in certain parts (the boring parts!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did catch myself skimming a little. ;) I loved the relationship and wanted more of that. Her style is nice so I'll be excited to see what else she can do.

      Delete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.