Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Tuesday, May 19, 2015

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Freebie--Pets in Books


Hosted by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish.

I love animals and am always excited to see characters with pets in the books I read.  I am especially happy when the pets are something a little off the beaten path.

Image result for corgi
1. Newton the Corgi -- The Viscount Who Loved Me by Julia Quinn
“Shake, Newton.”

Image result for poodle
2. Pooh the French Poodle -- It Had To Be You by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
"You know that we've got a few problems we need to talk through before we get married.""I'm not getting rid of Pooh."
"See, there you go being antagonistic. Marriage means learning to compromise."
"I didn't say I wouldn't compromise. I promise to take the ribbon out of her topknot before you walk her.”

Image result for hedwig
3. Hedwig the Snowy Owl -- Harry Potter series by JK Rowling
"Very smart owl you've got there."
Image result for hedgehog
4. Medusa the Hedgehog -- Love in the Afternoon by Lisa Kleypas
Christopher glanced at her quickly. “When did we become sworn enemies?”Ignoring him, Beatrix said to her sister, “Regardless, he’s staying for tea.”“Wonderful,” Amelia said equably. “Why are you enemies, dear?”“I met him yesterday while I was out walking,” Beatrix explained. “And he called Medusa a ‘garden pest,’ and faulted me for bringing her to a picnic.”Amelia smiled at Christopher. “Medusa has been called many worse things around here, including ‘diseased pincushion,’ and ‘perambulating cactus.’ ”
Image result for bloodhound
5. Jock the Dog -- The Raven Prince by Elizabeth Hoyt
The newly named Jock bounded up as soon as the bay clattered out of the stables. The dog raced out the door ahead of him; he had been missing the last half hour. Now his hindquarters were covered with malodorous mud.
Edward reined his horse around and sighed. He planned to visit his fiancée and her family this trip and finalize the engagement negotiations. An overlarge, smelly mongrel would not help his cause with the Gerard family.
Image result for white ermine
6. Snowdrop the Ermine -- Romancing the Duke by Tessa Dare
"Release the ermine."
Image result for ferret
7. Mickey the Ferret -- Pleasure Unbound by Larissa Ione
“You have a pet weasel?” Said weasel poked its brown head out of the ragged hole in the cushion.“He's a ferret.”
Image result for gray cat
8. Galahad the Gray Cat -- In Death series by JD Robb
"See, that's why you're fat. Eat, sleep, maybe prowl around a little, then eat and sleep some more. I oughta get Roarke to put a pet treadmill downstairs. Work some of that pudge off you."
Image result for orange and white cat fat
9. Fat Louie the Orange and White Cat -- Princess Diaries series by Meg Cabot
I'm sure they won't let me have a cat in the palace.  At least, not a cat like Louie, who weighs twenty-five pounds and eats socks.  He'd scare all the ladies-in-waiting.
Image result for mongoose
10. Marigold the Mongoose -- Mr. Impossible by Loretta Chase
"Marigold,” he said. “What do you think of the name Marigold?”“I think it’s silly,” Daphne said, “which fits her perfectly. She’s the silliest mongoose I’ve ever heard of.”He crouched down. “Marigold?” he said.The mongoose chewed on the bit of shirt in its mouth.He rose. “She’s thinking it over.”

7 comments:

  1. Awesome list! Man, I don't even think I've read ten books with pets in them. (I need to do something about that.) I want to read Romancing the Duke and I love that there's a pet ermine in it. And I might have to read Love in the Afternoon because of that quote. And so I can say I've read a book with a pet hedgehog in it.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THIS LIST, JENNIFER! Yes, that totally needed all caps. I forgot all about the hedgehog from Love in the Afternoon and now really want to re-read that one. And of course Pooh! That picture is actually of a bichon frise, which is what my dog Daphne is and it's sooo darn adorable. And snowdrop, too! And Hedwig. It's amazing the personality a pet can add to a story. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fixed the picture so thanks for the heads up! I was trying to find "free use" photos of poodles and that was one of the only ones that kept popping up. I was surprised at how many pets I thought of when I came up with this idea. I'll have to do another list because I'm thinking of so many more now.

      Delete
  3. Love this list! Aww Hedwig, so many feels! I love it when characters in books have pets/interact with animals. Also love Fat Louie (we had a cat who was ginger and white like Fat Louie, although he wasn't fat and he wasn't anywhere near as nice).
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/05/19/top-ten-tuesdays-5/

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWESOME topic choice this week^^ I ADORE animals but the only one I'm familiar with here is Hedwig from HP. I need to read Princess Diaries and the In Death series though, they're on my tbr shelf already :) Great picks!! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice list for the week!! Enzo in The Art of Racing in the Rain has to be one of my favorites!!

    Here's the link to my Top Ten Tuesday post for this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2015/05/top-ten-tuesday-sexy-male-characters-in.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh what a great list!! I do love Snowdrop and Jock...they are great pets for the stories they are in. Its always fun when they put animals in books. I love the wolf dog in Saving Grace by Garwood.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.