Tuesday, May 5, 2015

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Books I Will Probably Never Read


Hosted by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish.

Remember that this is just my opinion!  Most of these books are on here because of my personal taste, not because I think they are bad books.

The Shadows (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #13)
1. The Shadows by JR Ward -- I enjoyed this series, but have had a hard time getting motivated to continue it.  For what I hear about the way this one ended, I am thinking this is the end of my adventure with the Black Dagger Brotherhood.

Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1)
2. Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire -- I just can't deal with emotionally abusive asshole heroes and, after trying to read this book multiple time, I am giving up on it.

Eat, Pray, Love
3. Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert -- I'm not into nonfiction anyway and people's self-discovery books are really not my thing.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1)
4. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson -- I'm intrigued by the premise, but the violence and the abuse that the heroine deals with is turning me off.

Crank (Crank, #1)
5. Crank by Ellen Hopkins -- This is a book I know I should read, but the subject matter is difficult for me at this time plus I have a hard time getting into free verse books.

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
6. World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks -- I'm just not a zombie fan!

Mad About the Boy (Bridget Jones, #3)
7. Mad About the Boy by Helen Fielding -- I really enjoyed the first two Bridget Jones books, but, after hearing the fate of a certain character, I know I will not be touching this sequel.

Taking Chances (Taking Chances, #1)
8. Taking Chances by Molly McAdams -- Cheating is a huge turn-off for me so I will never give this a try.

Marley and Me: Life and Love With the World's Worst Dog
9. Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog by Josh Grogan -- I can't deal with animal-themed stories since they almost always end with the animal's death which reduces me to wails so...nope!

Dear John
10. Anything by Nicholas Sparks -- I read a few of his books in high school, but just can't deal with his style anymore.

8 comments:

  1. I so agree with this list. I can't do Nicholas Sparks...I love my happy endings, and I just can't do his books at all, and his stories just depress me and I get so melancholy and I hate that feeling. I saw Marley and Me and never will read that book. The movie was alright, but dying at the end is the worst. I agree about Ward...I hear her newest series is more like the first books of the series (which I loved, but she got so complex in her plots and I couldn't understand where it was going).

    ReplyDelete
  2. A couple of these books are on my list also! Marley & Me Is just depressing, so you aren't missing out on this one!
    Check out my Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, seriously about Mad About the Boy. You just can't do that to Mr. Darcy. No, no, no.

    And I agree completely with Taking Chances. I have read Marley & Me, even though I was nervous for similar reasons, but it was actually really, really good and I'm glad I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anything nick sparks is bad for me I have beautiful disasters on my list too. I just bought the next JR Ward book. I hope its not bad!
    My ttt
    http://hauntedgravebooks.blogspot.com/2015/05/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-books-i-will.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list - I agree with so much of it and for the same reasons. Especially Marley & Me :( I'm a big softy for animals, so I really can't handle the sorts of books/movies that get you really attached to them only to have them die at the end. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is really good though, but yeah, it can be pretty brutal in themes, so I understand why it's not for everyone.

    Here's my TTT, if you'd like to check it out: http://thedarlingbookworm.blogspot.com/2015/05/top-ten-tuesday-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen Beautiful Disaster on so many lists and now I'm afraid because I've got it in my pile... I'm with you on Mad about the Boy! Helen Fielding should have stopped after the first one! Here's my list...http://hollykerr.ca/top-ten-tuesday-10-books-i-probably-wont-ever-read/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ditto on "Mad About the Boy". I do appreciate the publishers putting that directly in the back cover description though. I would have been extremely angry if I had picked it up without knowing that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh, I'm also so over abusive assholes being touted as Mr. Wonderful, just need LURVE to FIX HIM. So problematic. Also with you on Eat Pray Love, and the animal books.

    I know it's pretty late for TTT, but I didn't get a chance earlier this week to go through everyone's lists on the list (yes, I do that) and I LOVE this week's topic and seeing everyone's DNW lists. Mine is at http://www.leiawriting.co.za/blog/top-ten-tuesdays-2/

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.