Friday, May 29, 2015

REVIEW: "Gunmetal Magic" by Ilona Andrews


Gunmetal Magic (Kate Daniels, #5.5)
Gunmetal Magic by Ilona Andrews
(Kate Daniels #5.5)

For Ages 18+ (Language, Violence, Sensuality)
Urban Fantasy

Ace -- Published in 2012
Ebook, 326 pages
Read in May 2015
Borrowed from the library

THEMES/TROPES
Alternate Universe, First Person Narrative, Kick-Ass Heroine

SUMMARY
After eviction from the Knights of Merciful Aid, Andrea is a wreck. She starts work for best pal PI Kate Daniels. Shapeshifters under Raphael Medrano — Clan Bouda male alpha, Andrea’s ex-lover — die suddenly at a dig site. With Raphael, she seeks killer in deep dark Atlanta. Her feelings for him may take a back seat to saving the world…

FIRST LINE
"Thud!  My head hit the sidewalk."

MY THOUGHTS
The highlight of my reading in 2015 so far has been diving into the Kate Daniels series.  I have been wanting to try these books forever, finally got started, and now I am making myself slow down so that I don't catch up too fast.  Kate and Curran are definitely the backbone of the series, but I have also enjoyed the side characters especially Kate's best friend, Andrea Nash.  Gunmetal Magic allows Andrea to take center stage and show how awesome she is!

Andrea started the series as a member of the Knights of Merciful Aid who help deal with the magical chaos that is so prevalent in this version of Atlanta.  But, she was outed as a werehyena or bouda, forced to go into early retirement, and now works with Kate in the private investigator industry.  This book covers Andrea's work on a mass murder that directly effects the shifter community known as the Pack which becomes complicated when she is forced to face her ex-boyfriend, Raphael.

I really liked Andrea as the narrator.  She isn't Kate, but is still snarky and pretty kick-ass though in a different way.  Andrea is much more violent in her reaction to danger due to the fact that she is a shifter rather than a magic user like Kate.  She also is damaged due to abuse she suffered in her past which effects her ability to trust others even people she cares about.  Gunmetal Magic allows her story to be told in greater detail and I thoroughly enjoyed her journey.

The drama associated with Andrea and Raphael's relationship is resolved in this story.  While this series is not as sexy as other paranormals or urban fantasies, I still enjoyed the chemistry between these two and found myself on the edge of my seat whenever they were around one another.  Raphael is an intriguing character due to his alpha status in Clan Bouda and the fact that male boudas are spoiled rotten by their female relatives.  One thing I adore about this world is the Pack's courtship tradition of playing pranks on one's desired mate with Andrea and Raphael making me laugh out loud with their particular antics.

I mentioned how important side characters are to the Kate Daniels series and that is still the same even in a spin-off book like this one.  Fans will be excited to see the return of Jim, Aunt B, Dr. Doolittle, and the hilarious teenager, Ascanio.  And I can't forget to mention the appearances by Kate and Curran who assist Andrea while simultaneously dealing with their own mystery which can be read about in the novella, Magic Gifts.

Gunmetal Magic is definitely a worthy addition to this series and, I think, could be read as a stand-alone for someone intrigued by this world.  This husband-wife writing team knows what they are doing with these characters and I always come away from the book with a big smile on my face.  Definitely excited to continue on!


4 STARS


FAVORITE QUOTE
"So we have giant super-smart vipers who slithered in here, killed our people, opened the vault, stole something from it, and slithered out, undetected?”
“Appears so.”
“Okay. Just wanted to make sure it wasn’t something dangerous."



BOOKS IN THE SERIES
0.5. A Questionable Client
1. Magic Bites
2. Magic Burns
3. Magic Strikes
3.5. Magic Mourns
4. Magic Bleeds
4.5. Magic Dreams
5. Magic Slays
5.5. Gunmetal Magic
6. Magic Rises
6.5. Magic Steals
7. Magic Breaks
8. Magic Shifts (Coming 2015)

OTHER REVIEWS
Love Vampires
Smexybooks
Vampire Book Club

LEARN MORE
Goodreads -- LibraryThing -- BookLikes -- Shelfari
Author Website

WHERE TO BUY
Amazon -- Barnes & Noble -- Book Depository -- Kobo -- Google Play -- Audible

2 comments:

  1. After reading your review. makes me want to get back to the Kate Daniels series...I need to buy the third book and soon. I would get it from my library...but its been months and still on hold...so I figure it should be a book to be bought. Especially since I have loved seeing the connection between Kate and Curran. I love that this book is connected to it. Will add it to my list. And I do need to read more Fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just so impressed with how the series is getting better and better. I got lucky that my library's e-versions of this series have been available when I need them. I adore fantasy, but don't read it nearly as often as I used to. What are some of your favorite fantasy series?

      Delete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.