Wednesday, May 27, 2015

REVIEW: "Dearest Rogue" by Elizabeth Hoyt


Dearest Rogue (Maiden Lane, #8)
Dearest Rogue by Elizabeth Hoyt
(Maiden Lane #8)

For Ages 18+ (Language/Sensuality)
Historical Romance -- Georgian England

Grand Central Publishing -- Published on May 26, 2015
eARC, 400 pages
Read in May 2015
Received from Netgalley

THEMES/TROPES
Alpha Hero, Unrequited Love, Class Differences, Disability

SUMMARY
HE CAN GUARD HER...

Lady Phoebe Batten is pretty, vivacious, and yearning for a social life befitting the sister of a powerful duke. But because she is almost completely blind, her overprotective brother insists that she have an armed bodyguard by her side at all times-the very irritating Captain Trevillion.

FROM EVERY DANGER...

Captain James Trevillion is proud, brooding, and cursed with a leg injury from his service in the King's dragoons. Yet he can still shoot and ride like the devil, so watching over the distracting Lady Phoebe should be no problem at all-until she's targeted by kidnappers.

BUT PASSION ITSELF.

Caught in a deadly web of deceit, James must risk life and limb to save his charge from the lowest of cads-one who would force Lady Phoebe into a loveless marriage. But while they're confined to close quarters for her safekeeping, Phoebe begins to see the tender man beneath the soldier's hard exterior . . . and the possibility of a life-and love-she never imagined possible.


FIRST LINE
"Captain Trevillion, formerly of the 4th Dragoons, was used to dangerous places."

MY THOUGHTS
I received a free copy of this book from Grand Central Publishing via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Lady Phoebe Batten has been a popular side character throughout the long-running Maiden Lane series and fans have followed the trials that she has gone through as her eyesight deteriorates.  But, she never felt more alive than when she was arguing with Captain James Trevillion, a former soldier hired by her brother to act as her bodyguard.  So I was very happy to see these two strong-willed characters finally reveal their feelings for one another in Dearest Rogue.

What I love the most about Phoebe is her optimistic outlook.  Even though she is blind, she still embraces life and her biggest wish is to be independent.  Phoebe resists her brother's desire for her to have a bodyguard which causes most of the conflict between her and James.  She does have a few moments that frustrated me by not taking threats against her as serious as I thought she should, but that is a minor issue with her character.

I also adored James Trevillion.  He left his home in disgrace and joined the military as a dragoon.  After his injury, he was lucky to get the job working for the Duke of Wakefield and took it very seriously especially as his feelings for Phoebe grew.  Readers get to know quite a bit about his past which helped turn him into an even more sympathetic character.  I loved all the interactions between him and his family especially his niece.

James and Phoebe have been a couple that I have been excited about for awhile and I was pretty happy with their romance.  They already had an established protector/protectee relationship and emotions threw that for a loop.  I adored their interactions in Phoebe's garden which is the place she obviously feels the most comfortable.  The physical side of their relationship is very steamy, which is part of Hoyt's writing style, but well-suited to their particular personalities.  I really liked the emphasis on touch and smell due to Phoebe's disability.

The plot of Dearest Rogue dealt with the romance and a mystery threat against Phoebe.  Her brother is a powerful man who has many enemies and James is forced to up his game in order to deal with the latest kidnapping attempts.  This was an important plot point especially when he hides her away with his family which allows them to interact more as a couple.  I was a bit taken aback by the resolution of the various kidnapping attempts.  One of them was solved very quickly and the other just left me with more questions especially since it involved one of my favorite side characters who I'm hoping to see more of in the next book.

The early Georgian setting is still unusual in this Regency/Victorian-dominated market and nobody does it better than Ms. Hoyt.  She also understands the many faces of society and isn't afraid to turn her eye to the darker sides of London.  So, if you want to read a well-written and sexy romance with a little something different, I definitely recommend Elizabeth Hoyt's Maiden Lane series which can be read either in order or as stand-alone stories.


4 STARS

BOOKS IN THE SERIES
1. Wicked Intentions
2. Notorious Pleasures
3. Scandalous Desires
4. Thief of Shadows
5. Lord of Darkness
6. Duke of Midnight
7. Darling Beast
8. Dearest Rogue
9. Sweetest Scoundrel (Coming 2015)

OTHER REVIEWS
Under the Covers Book Blog
Addicted to Romance

LEARN MORE
Goodreads -- LibraryThing -- BookLikes -- Shelfari
Author Website

WHERE TO BUY
Amazon -- Barnes & Noble -- Book Depository -- Kobo -- Google Play -- Audible

6 comments:

  1. YAY!! You liked this one too. :) I really loved seeing both of the main characters have disabilities and still being strong despite everything. Phoebe was such a endearing heroine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phoebe is definitely up there as one of my favorite heroines of 2015. I usually base my opinion of a heroine on if I would want to be friends with her and that is the case with her.

      Delete
  2. I loved this one so much because the two characters have disabilities and yet they still come off as so normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't mention that much in my review, but I enjoyed that part as well. They were both so good at helping the other navigate the world with their special needs. They were a great pairing!

      Delete
  3. I'm so looking forward to this one. So bummed I couldn't fit it in my schedule yet. They sound amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't my favorite of the series, but I really liked it. Hoyt is such an amazing writer!

      Delete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.