Friday, May 8, 2015

AUDIOBOOK REVIEW: "The Dangers of Dating a Rebound Vampire" by Molly Harper


The Dangers of Dating a Rebound Vampire (Half-Moon Hollow, #3)
The Dangers of Dating a Rebound Vampire by Molly Harper; Narrated by Amanda Ronconi
(Half-Moon Hollow #3)

For Ages 18+ (Language, Violence, Sensuality)
Paranormal Romance

Pocket Books -- Published in March 2015
Audiobook, 9 hours and 13 minutes
Read in April 2015
Purchased from Audible

THEMES/TROPES
Vampires, Alternate Universe, Small Town Setting, Brainy Heroine, First Person Narrative

SUMMARY
In the next book in Molly Harper’s beloved Half Moon Hollow paranormal romance series, Gigi starts her first job (at Vampire Headquarters), gets over her first love, and may even fall for her first vampire!

Gigi is no longer an innocent teen. All grown up and looking for love, her family and friends worry she’ll go for the sexy, alluring vampire instead of a nice, safe human. But sexy and alluring, with a penchant for biting, could be just what Gigi wants...


FIRST LINE
"The sensible beige pantsuit was mocking me."

MY THOUGHTS
Anyone who reads my blog knows that I am a certified Molly Harper fangirl.  I adore her quirky writing and light-hearted approach to paranormal romance.  So I was highly anticipating the newest book in her Half-Moon Hollow series, The Dangers of Dating a Rebound Vampire, which features the little sister of the heroine of The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires.  But, I am sad to say that I was disappointed in this book and a little flustered by that reaction.

Gigi Scanlon has returned to Half-Moon Hollow, Kentucky the summer before her senior year in college to work as an intern at the Council for the Equal Treatment of the Undead.  She believes she has an advantage at this vampire-run government agency due to the fact that she spent much of her young adult years living and interacting with vampires.  Her sister, Iris, runs a vampire concierge service and recently was turned by her sexy vampire husband, Cal.  But, what starts out as a great career opportunity for Gigi quickly turns weird when she is attached by a random vampire in the Council parking lot.

I did like Gigi's character and thought she had some quirks that I hadn't seen in a Harper heroine.  She did have the clumsy, every girl charisma, but her aptitude with computer code and geek persona were a refreshing change.  The hero of this book was also a decent person whom I liked.  Nick is a centuries old vampire who is charged with protecting Gigi by her brother-in-law, but something happens and he suffers from moments of rage followed by amnesia for those particular situations.  He gets a kick out of Gigi's goofy personality and has a real protective streak about him...when he isn't under some type of voodoo/spell thing.

I just found myself wishing that there was more to the romance between Gigi and Nick.  They were instantly attracted to one another which was fine, but they seemed to fall in love very quickly.  There were very few moments where they interacted on a non-physical level that wasn't full of violence or bemoaning the fact that Gigi was "forbidden" to see him.  The development that I expect from this author just wasn't there.

Part of the reason for the issue above may have been the overload of side characters.  I think every single main character from the Jane Jameson series and the earlier books in this series made an appearance.  It was overwhelming for me so I can't imagine what it would be like for someone who hasn't read any of this series before.  I do get a kick out of Jane, Zeb, Dick, and the gang, but I felt like Gigi and Nick's story was short-changed in order to give everybody else a chance to show off.

Like all of Harper's backlist, The Dangers of Dating a Rebound Vampire is full of laugh-out-loud moments.  These often involve the characters getting mixed up in crazy situations.  It also doesn't hurt that most of the cast includes snarky humans and vampires who thrive on pop culture references and self-deprecating humor.  These moments are emphasized by the comedic timing of Harper's long-time narrator, Amanda Ronconi, who does a fabulous job.

This is probably my least favorite of Molly Harper's books, but I did still enjoy myself.  I am still a huge fan of hers and am looking forward to the next Half-Moon Hollow book, The Single Undead Moms Club.  I just hope there is more time spent on the romance and not the quirky cast of thousands.

3 STARS

FAVORITE QUOTE
Even after having months to adjust, Iris was “displeased” about my employment, which was like saying PETA was displeased by the popularity of TripleMeat Whataburgers. 

BOOKS IN THE SERIES

4. The Single Undead Moms Club (Coming October 2015)
4.5. Fangs for the Memories (Coming November 2015)

OTHER REVIEWS
Fiction Vixen -- B
Tynga's Reviews

LEARN MORE
Goodreads -- LibraryThing -- BookLikes -- Shelfari
Author Website -- Publisher Website

WHERE TO BUY
Amazon -- Barnes & Noble -- Book Depository -- Kobo -- Google Play -- Audible

5 comments:

  1. Past character overloads can kill a book quickly for me. It's slowly smothering my love Nalini Singh's Psy/Changeling series. Great review. I might borrow this one from the library eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you didn't like it more! I really enjoyed this one, but I would agree that the side characters had a lot more to do with this one than her previous ones! Hopefully the next one in the series will be better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had that with her last book. I usually love hers but it just didn't do it for me. It was a crazy surprise to run into that issue. Hope the next one clicks more for ya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear this didn't meet up. its always the worst when you the story needs more romance. I haven't read this book yet, but I do enjoy Molly Harper, and I would like to get back to this series...so I might just get this book sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear you were somewhat disappointed with this one. I haven't read Molly Harper's vampire books yet, but I do want to look into them. I think of myself as a Molly Harper fangirl, too!

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.