Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Thursday, April 2, 2015

REVIEW: "The Luckiest Lady in London" by Sherry Thomas


The Luckiest Lady in London
The Luckiest Lady in London by Sherry Thomas
For Ages 18+ (Language, Sensuality)
Historical Romance -- Victorian England

Berkley -- Published in 2013
Ebook, 304 pages
Read in April 2015
Purchased from Amazon

SUMMARY
Felix Rivendale, the Marquess of Wrenworth, is The Ideal Gentleman, a man all men want to be and all women want to possess. Felix himself almost believes this golden image. But underneath is a damaged soul soothed only by public adulation.

Louisa Cantwell needs to marry well to support her sisters. She does not, however, want Lord Wrenworth—though he seems inexplicably interested in her. She mistrusts his outward perfection and the praise he garners everywhere he goes.But when he is the only man to propose at the end of the London season, she reluctantly accepts.

Louisa does not understand her husband's mysterious purposes, but she cannot deny the pleasure her body takes in his touch. Nor can she deny the pull this magnetic man exerts upon her. But does she dare to fall in love with a man so full of dark secrets, anyone of which could devastate her, if she were to get any closer?
 

FIRST LINE
"For as far as he could trace back in time, Felix Rivendale spent half an hour each day with his parents before teatime."

MY THOUGHTS
Sherry Thomas is an author whose books strike a unique cord with me.  She has a style all her own and a subtlety that I find refreshing.  I will admit that I DNFed her debut novel (Private Arrangements) years ago, but, after how much I enjoyed this book, I am thinking of giving the debut another try.

The Luckiest Lady in London refers to Miss Louisa Cantwell who comes from a family that is on the lower end of the upper class.  They have enough to get by, but are relying on her to marry well to insure their current status.  Louisa understands this and knows that she is not likely to marry someone that she loves.  I appreciated her approach to the marriage mart in that she wasn't looking for love, but also wasn't saying yes to the first guy that asked for her hand.  She was willing to do almost anything to help her family, but also didn't act like a saint for it.

Felix Rivendale, Marquess of Wrenworth, is one of those heroes that grabs my heart from the beginning.  The prologue shows how, as a child, he was constantly caught in the middle of his parents' dysfunctional relationship and that, when they died, he decided to create a public persona (The Ideal Gentleman) to hide his true feelings.  I am a sucker for damaged heroes who simultaneously yearn and avoid love so Felix was a stand-out for me as well.

What I also loved about this book was the fact that the only conflict was between Louisa and Felix.  Their relationship starts out as one of just sexual tension, but, once they marry, they both forced to look into themselves to see what their true feelings were.  Internal drama is always my favorite in historical romance because it focuses on the character development and usually avoids over-the-top antics.

The only reason that this is not a five-star read for me was the ending.  While it was fairly satisfying, I was hoping for just a few more scenes with Louisa and Felix after they made their declarations of love.  But, this is a very minor quibble and I highly recommend this book for anyone who loves character-driven romances.

4.5 STARS

FAVORITE QUOTE
“So . . . I don’t trust you and you don’t understand me.” He laughed despite himself. “No wonder we get along so well.”

1 comment:

  1. This seems really intriguing. I want to get to know Felix. I don't always love internal drama. Sometimes it works for me, but sometimes it feels really forced. But still, I want to give this book a try. Thanks for the review, Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.