Monday, April 6, 2015

HR 101: Recommendations for Historical Romance Beginners

 

Historical Romance 101
is a celebration of the genre that will be occurring throughout the month of April.  My blog along with On a Book Bender, Addicted to Romance, and Quinn's Book Nook will be writing on a variety of topics every Monday and Friday in April.  


I had a difficult time figuring out how I wanted to approach this topic.  I decided to focus on major themes which would require potential readers to know what they want to get out of historical romance (laughs, tears, steam, etc.).

Light-Hearted Stories
Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake (Love By Numbers, #1) How to Marry a Marquis (Agents of the Crown, #2) Love Is Blind
Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake by Sarah MacLean -- Spinster who makes a list of outrageous things she is going to do to reclaim her happiness.

How to Marry a Marquis by Julia Quinn -- A young lady finds a pamphlet giving her tips on how to marry a lord.

Love is Blind by Lynsay Sands -- Hilarious romp with a heroine desperately in need of glasses.

Thought-Provoking Dramas
Flowers from the Storm The Countess Conspiracy (Brothers Sinister, #3) The Rake
Flowers From the Storm by Laura Kinsale -- Math-obsessed duke is saved by a Quaker woman.

The Countess Conspiracy by Courtney Milan -- Female scientists in Victorian-era England. [REVIEW]

The Rake by Mary Jo Putney -- An alcoholic meets the lady who has been managing his land for years.

Tearjerkers
Always to Remember Morning Glory Simply Love (Simply Quartet #2)
Always to Remember by Lorraine Heath -- How a Southern town treats a young man who refused to fight in the Civil War.

Morning Glory by LaVyrle Spencer -- A plain widow hires a former prisoner to help her run her farm.

Simply Love by Mary Balogh -- A rape victim and an injured soldier meet in an idyllic setting.

Epic Adventures
As You Desire (Braxton, #1) A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2) Nobody's Darling
As You Desire by Connie Brockway -- Victorian-era Egypt with a genius heroine and the guy who has always loved her.

A Week to be Wicked by Tessa Dare -- Another brainy heroine who goes on a cross-country journey with a rake to get to a science meeting. [REVIEW]

Nobody's Darling by Teresa Medeiros -- American western with an outlaw and the woman who tried to kill him.

Steamy Love Scenes
The Raven Prince (Princes Trilogy, #1) In Bed with a Highlander (McCabe Trilogy, #1) Devil's Bride (Cynster, #1)
The Raven Prince by Elizabeth Hoyt -- A lord and his secretary find some major chemistry together.

In Bed with a Highlander by Maya Banks -- A Scottish warrior is given a bride raised by nuns who helps heal his battered heart. [REVIEW]

Devil's Bride by Stephanie Laurens -- The head of a notorious family gets tangled up with a sassy governess.

Historical Details
The Secret History of the Pink Carnation (Pink Carnation, #1) A Lady Awakened (Blackshear Family, #1) Outlander (Outlander, #1)
The Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig -- Inspired by The Scarlet Pimpernel.

A Lady Awakened by Cecilia Grant -- A widow hires a rake to help her conceive an heir to save her estate. [REVIEW]

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon -- WWII nurse time travels and meets a sexy Scottish warrior.

Modern-day Classics
Lord of Scoundrels (Scoundrels, #3)  Dreaming of You (Gamblers, #2) The Madness of Lord Ian MacKenzie (MacKenzies & McBrides, #1)
Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase -- Number one in All About Romance's Top 100 poll for five straight cycles.

Dreaming of You by Lisa Kleypas -- A shy novelist meets a Victorian-era gambling hell owner.

The Madness of Lord Ian MacKenzie by Jennifer Ashley -- One of the most unique heroes in historical romance.

13 comments:

  1. Love these choices! I JUST read Teresa Medeiros' SOME LIKE IT WILD and really loved her writing style. Now I just need to find more of her books to check out at the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked Some Like It Wild. Yours Until Dawn is actually my favorite of Medeiros.

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, you are the best!! I have literally spent the last few weeks mulling over where to start with my new interest in historical romance (I think I mentioned it on your other HR 101 post) and now there is this epic list :D I will definitely check these out!

    Zareena @ The Slanted Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect timing! Historical romance is (by far) my favorite genre and I'm always happy to get others obsessed with it. Feel free to contact me if you need more recs.

      Delete
  3. Dreaming of You is great, and I had Ashley's book on my list too. I think that is just a classic and has been a go to book for me when I am down and just need a little quirky humor that she always dishes out in that story. In Bed With A Highlander is just great, and I am thinking of doing a re read of that series. I haven't read Outlander...probably because of the whole love triangle issues and will they ever get their HEA? LOL I hope eventually but I am watching the tv show. (I get brownie points for that right? ) I loved How To Marry A Marquis...oh I love that couple, and boy do you ever feel like you want to do a bunch of re reads now? Despite how many other books you need to read or want to get to? And oh the Cynster Family....I adore them, haven't read her books in the longest while, but I loved the earlier books in the series with all those cousins. Great recommendations you have here. Excited to see what you come up with Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only read the first three Outlander books...not sure why I stopped. I have re-read the Outlander and its sequel (Dragonfly in Amber) many times. The TV show is amazing, isn't it?

      Delete
  4. I love how you grouped these together! I obviously love How to Marry a Marquis. It's a favorite (and might show up on Friday!). And Dreaming of You! It's been ages since I've read that but I loved it like crazy. The Secret History of the Pink Carnation is a great rec, too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I totally just added Love is Blind to my TBR. This looks right up my alley!

      Delete
    2. This was a hard topic for me, but it was a lot of fun. I liked focusing on books beyond just my favorites.

      Delete
  5. I picked a few references here and there that weren't already on my to-read list, thanks very much :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maya Banks totally brings on the steam. And the emotions. Though I like Jennifer Ashley for those things, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just discovered Maya Banks a year and a half ago and I am chomping at the bit for the rest of the Armstrongs series.

      Delete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.