Friday, April 10, 2015

HR 101: My All-Time Favorites (Part 1 -- Series)

 

Historical Romance 101
is a celebration of the genre that will be occurring throughout the month of April.  Make sure to visit the other HR 101 participants: On a Book Bender, Addicted to Romance, and Quinn's Book Nook.

I have many favorites in this genre so I decided to divide this topic into two posts: favorite series and favorite single titles (stand-alones or specific titles in a series).  If I have written a review for the book on my blog, I will link it below.

**Indicates my favorite(s) of the series.

The books that got me obsessed with the genre.  The antics of this large Regency-era family always make me laugh and their love stories were all so different and sweet.
  1. The Duke and I -- Daphne and Simon
  2. The Viscount Who Loved Me -- Kate and Anthony**
  3. An Offer from a Gentleman -- Sophie and Benedict
  4. Romancing Mr. Bridgerton -- Penelope and Colin**
  5. To Sir Philip, With Love -- Eloise and Philip
  6. When He Was Wicked -- Francesca and Michael
  7. It's In His Kiss -- Hyacinth and Gareth
  8. On the Way to the Wedding -- Lucy and Gregory
  9. The Bridgertons: Happily Ever After 
A Night to Surrender (Spindle Cove, #1)
Spindle Cove series by Tessa Dare
Just a delightful group of books with intelligent heroines, charming heroes, and an adorable town on the coast of England.
  1. A Night to Surrender -- Victor and Susanna
  2. A Week to be Wicked -- Colin and Minerva
  3. A Lady By Midnight -- Samuel and Kate**
  4. Any Duchess Will Do -- Griffin and Pauline
The Duchess War (Brothers Sinister, #1)
Brothers Sinister series by Courtney Milan
A series about a group of men who met at school and end up with some of the most unique heroines I've ever read in historical romance.
  1. The Duchess War -- Miranda and Robert
  2. The Heiress Effect -- Jane and Oliver**
  3. The Countess Conspiracy -- Violet and Sebastian**
  4. The Suffragette Scandal -- Frederica and Edward
Unveiled (Turner, #1)
Turner series by Courtney Milan
Three brothers who were tortured by their mother and find their own ways to happiness.
  1. Unveiled -- Ash and Margaret**
  2. Unclaimed -- Mark and Jessica
  3. Unraveled -- Smite and Miranda
Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1)
Maiden Lane series by Elizabeth Hoyt (ongoing)
A series about the lords, ladies, and everyday folk who interact in 1730s London.
  1. Wicked Intentions -- Lazarus and Temperance
  2. Notorious Pleasures -- Griffin and Hero
  3. Scandalous Desires -- Mickey and Silence
  4. Thief of Shadows -- Winter and Isabel**
  5. Lord of Darkness -- Godric and Margaret
  6. Duke of Midnight -- Maximus and Artemis
  7. Darling Beast -- Apollo and Lily
Texas Destiny (Texas Trilogy, #1)
Leigh Brothers/Texas trilogy by Lorraine Heath
Three brothers in post-Civil War Texas who will do anything to set up their legacy.
  1. Texas Destiny -- Houston and Amelia**
  2. Texas Glory -- Dallas and Cordelia
  3. Texas Splendor -- Austin and Loree
Mine Till Midnight (The Hathaways, #1)
Hathaway Family series by Lisa Kleypas
An unorthodox family that inherits a title and is thrust into British society.
  1. Mine Till Midnight -- Amelia and Cam**
  2. Seduce Me at Sunrise -- Win and Merripen
  3. Tempt Me at Midnight -- Poppy and Harry
  4. Married by Morning -- Catherine and Leo**
  5. Love in the Afternoon -- Beatrix and Christopher
And Then He Kissed Her (Girl Bachelors, #1)
Girl Bachelors series by Laura Lee Guhrke
A group of independent single women who are determined to live life on their own terms in late Victorian England.
  1. And Then He Kissed Her -- Emma and Harry
  2. The Wicked Ways of a Duke -- Prudence and Rhys
  3. Secret Desires of a Gentleman -- Maria and Phillip**
  4. With Seduction in Mind -- Daisy and Sebastian
Firelight (Darkest London, #1)
Darkest London series by Kristen Callihan (ongoing)
A fascinating mix of historical and paranormal romance full of magic, shifters, demons, etc.
  1. Firelight -- Benjamin and Miranda
  2. Moonglow -- Ian and Daisy**
  3. Winterblaze -- Winston and Poppy
  4. Shadowdance -- Jack and Mary
  5. Evernight -- Will and Holly**
  6. Soulbound -- Adam and Eliza
Kiss of Steel (London Steampunk, #1)
London Steampunk series by Bec McMaster (ongoing)
A gritty look at an alternate version of London where vampirism is a disease that has invaded the upper classes.
  1. Kiss of Steel -- Blade and Honoria**
  2. Heart of Iron -- Will and Lena
  3. My Lady Quicksilver -- Jasper and Rosalind
  4. Forged by Desire -- Garret and Perry**
  5. Of Silk and Steam -- Leo and Aramina
In Bed with a Highlander (McCabe Trilogy, #1)
McCabe trilogy by Maya Banks
Three sexy Scottish brothers who are determined to keep their clan safe.
  1. In Bed with a Highlander -- Ewan and Mairin
  2. Seduction of a Highland Lass -- Alaric and Keeley
  3. In Love with a Highlander -- Caelan and Rionna**

11 comments:

  1. So many on my tbr pile. I love Hoyt's series. It's really amazing and the covers are so gorgeous! Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does get the best covers. I love the beautiful dresses on the front and the super sexy stepbacks.

      Delete
  2. I love Courtney Milan's series(es) as well- but in some I liked the secondary couple better than the main couple (The Heiress Effect was one of those). And the Bridgerton series is also one of my faves, as far as historical romance goes. I'll have to check out some of the other ones- I'm always on the hunt for new historical romance authors to love. :)
    ~Litha Nelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about the secondary romances. I think my favorite is the one from The Suffragette Scandal...very different, but beautifully done.

      Delete
  3. McCabe trilogy is just awesome. and those Leigh brothers...I love all of those books, they are just fabulous. And Girl Bachelors are so fun...the heroines are amazing in those books. I really love your choices on the "series". Looking forward to seeing your single titles. I love that you mentioned the Maiden Lane series....Hoyt has such talent, and I love the way she has developed this series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea to list series, Jennifer! The Bridgerton series is what got me into historical romance too. I have so many favorites and I often go back and forth on which one is actually my favorite. Right now it is Romancing Mr. Bridgerton, but I plan on re-reading The Viscount Who Loved Me soon, and then who knows!

    The Hathaways are my favorite series by Kleypas, too. Every book is so good. I love reading about families in historical romances. I just re-read Mine Till Midnight. So GOOD!

    I must, must look into Lorraine Heath and Courtney Milan ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would really enjoy Heath and Milan. They aren't as light-hearted as Tessa Dare or Julia Quinn, but pack a real emotional punch.

      Delete
  5. Totally checking out the London Steampunk series now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG Amanda...it is amazing! One of my favorites right now. Blade (the hero from the first book) is one of the sexiest men I've ever read about.

      Delete
  6. Is it possible to join this challenge? I would like to do this one and future ones on my blog. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This actually isn't a meme or a challenge. The four hosts are just doing a feature/celebration. But, if you are interested in discussing historical romance with us, we are doing a Twitter chat on April 28th at 9:00 pm (est). The hashtag is #histrom101. We would love for you to join us and, if we decide to do more celebrations like this, I'll put you down as a contact. Thanks for visiting! It is always nice to find more historical romance lovers.

      Delete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.