Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Thursday, March 19, 2015

THROWBACK THURSDAY-HISTORICAL ROMANCE EDITION (66)

Happy Thursday, everyone! This is a new feature hosted by Buried Under Romance and Love Saves the World.

What is Throwback Thursday: Historical Romance Edition?
Traditionally, Throwback Thursday celebrates nostalgia, asking participants to post a personal photo or an image from their past -- usually from 5 to 10 years ago. There are a lot of book blogs that also do a book-related Throwback Thursday.  Since Tin and Mary C. are unapologetic lovers of historical romances, they've decided to focus on this beloved genre.

Here are the rules:
1. It must be posted on a Thursday.
2. It must be a historical romance novel published before October 2008.

THIS WEEK I AM FEATURING...

The Bronze Horseman (The Bronze Horseman, #1) The Bronze Horseman (The Bronze Horseman, #1) The Bronze Horseman (The Bronze Horseman, #1)
The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons
Originally Published in 1997

The golden skies, the translucent twilight, the white nights, all hold the promise of youth, of love, of eternal renewal. The war has not yet touched this city of fallen grandeur, or the lives of two sisters, Tatiana and Dasha Metanova, who share a single room in a cramped apartment with their brother and parents. Their world is turned upside down when Hitler's armies attack Russia and begin their unstoppable blitz to Leningrad.

Yet there is light in the darkness. Tatiana meets Alexander, a brave young officer in the Red Army. Strong and self-confident, yet guarding a mysterious and troubled past, he is drawn to Tatiana—and she to him. Starvation, desperation, and fear soon grip their city during the terrible winter of the merciless German siege. Tatiana and Alexander's impossible love threatens to tear the Metanova family apart and expose the dangerous secret Alexander so carefully protects—a secret as devastating as the war itself—as the lovers are swept up in the brutal tides that will change the world and their lives forever.

**********
This is one of those classics that I have been meaning to read ever since I discovered romance novels.  It isn't a setting I'm usually interested in, but many readers/bloggers that I trust loved it.  I think my biggest hesitation is the sheer size.  800+ pages is a lot and I've heard it is a very emotional read.

3 comments:

  1. Wow that is a big book!! Hope you enjoy it when you start it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't normally read this time period in romance either, but I must say I'm intrigued. It does seem very emotional, and it sure is a doorstopper with more than 800 pages. I've actually never heard of this one before. Thanks for sharing, Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew that is a LOT of pages. They look interesting though. I don't remember ever seeing these.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.