Thursday, March 5, 2015

REVIEW: "Soulbound" by Kristen Callihan

Soulbound (Darkest London, #6)
Soulbound by Kristen Callihan
(Darkest London #6)
For Ages 18+ (Language, Violence, Sensuality)
Steampunk Romance

Forever -- Published on February 24, 2015
eARC, 372 pages
Read in February 2015
Received from Netgalley

THEMES
Alternate Universe, Alpha Hero, Virgin Hero

SUMMARY
Once two souls are joined...

When Adam's soul mate rejected him, there was more at stake than his heart. After seven hundred years of searching, his true match would have ended the curse that keeps his spirit in chains. But beautiful, stubborn Eliza May fled—and now Adam is doomed to an eternity of anguish, his only hope for salvation gone...

Their hearts will beat together forever...

No matter how devilishly irresistible Adam was, Eliza couldn't stand the thought of relinquishing her freedom forever. So she escaped. But she soon discovers she is being hunted—by someone far more dangerous. The only man who can help is the one man she vowed never to see again. Now Adam's kindness is an unexpected refuge, and Eliza finds that some vows are made to be broken...


FIRST LINE
"She had always been attracted to death."

MY THOUGHTS
Warning!  This review contains spoilers of earlier books in the Darkest London series.

As the enigmatic king of the Ghosts in Machines (GIM), Adam has a sense of mystery and danger about him.  Shadowdance (book four) has him make a rare appearance to help a dying young woman become a GIM.  This situation changes Adam forever by having him feel something for the first time in seven hundred years.  He then spends the rest of of Shadowdance and then Evernight trying to forcibly keep the woman, Eliza May, by his side.  Soulbound focuses on what happens after Adam is taken captive by the Mab the fae queen which, in turn, releases Eliza.

I have been fascinated by Adam ever since his name first popped up so I have been excited to learn more about him and see him get a happily ever after.  That being said, I was not sure how I felt about Adam basically keeping Eliza captive and I was hesitant about whether Ms. Callihan could have him make up for the egregious behavior. Thankfully, things worked about pretty well for these two.  I was able to forgive Adam for his earlier treatment of Eliza once the truth about his past was revealed and he groveled appropriately.

What I liked the most about Adam was his ability to deal with his mistakes.  His years of living alone have stunted his social skills which helps a reader understand why he chained Eliza after realizing who she was to him.  But, he is able to figure out his errors and is willing to do anything to atone for them.  I also enjoyed how protective he was which was a nice throwback to his early years as a Templar knight.  And, while mentioning the Templar thing, can we say seven hundred year old virgin?  The sexual tension between Adam and Eliza is electric and brought a ton of fun to this otherwise dark story.

I absolutely loved the character of Eliza!  Her American upbringing gives her a smart mouth and a fiercely independent spirit.  I appreciated how complex she was with her distaste for violence paired with a deadly power that gave me the creeps just reading about it.  Her reaction to Adam's confinement was understandable, but I also liked the fact that she hated seeing anyone (even her "jailer") tortured like Adam was.

Callihan also showcased her ever-growing cast of characters in Soulbound.  I loved the return of Miranda and Archer who have been pretty absent since their own story at the beginning of the series.  I also enjoyed seeing Holly and Thorne after they finally got their happy ending in Evernight.  And it is always nice to see Ian, Daisy, Jack, and Mary.  There weren't a ton of new characters, but I continue to be taken by the story of young St. John Evernight who I believe will get his story next.

This whole series takes place in an steampunkish, alternate London that continues to develop.  So far readers have been introduced to elementals, demons, Lycans, and GIM.  This book continues that trend by focusing on angels and the fae.  I can tell that there is much more to learn about angels in this world, but the small bits that were thrown in intrigued me especially the whole person being Judgment thing.  I am also a huge fan of fae in fiction so I loved seeing Callihan's version of Mab and her court.

Kristen Callihan's Darkest London series is a captivating mix of two of my favorite genres: historical romance and paranormal romance.  Soulbound is the sixth book in the series and I highly recommend that readers read the books in order to fully appreciate the complex world and relationships that the author has built.  It is a hella of a ride and I have a feeling it is just getting started!

I received a free copy of this book from Forever via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

4 STARS


FAVORITE QUOTE
With infinite care, as though he were handling a babe, he lifted the sword out, and a sigh seemed to go through him, "Ah, my lovely, it's been far too long."
"Shall I leave you two alone, then?" Eliza's lips twitched.  She'd never seen such a look of reverence mixed with old familiarity.  It was nearly indecent.
Adam spared her a glance, "Quiet, woman, a man's relationship with his sword is a sacred thing."
"So I've heard."

BOOKS IN THE SERIES
0.5. Ember
1. Firelight
3.5. Entwined
6. Soulbound

2 comments:

  1. Ugh I need to read this series! I've heard such good things about it and I'm kicking myself for passing up this one! Every one of my blogger buddies has had good things to say about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH I just love this series, I have only read the first three books, but this review made me excited to continue on with the series.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.