Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Wednesday, March 25, 2015

ANTHOLOGY REVIEW: "Lights, Camera, Cupid" by Riptide Publishing


Lights, Camera, Cupid (A Bluewater Bay Valentine's Day Anthology; Bluewater Bay #6)
Lights, Camera, Cupid by S.E. Jakes, Amy Lane, Anne Tenino, Z.A. Maxfield, and L.A. Witt
(Bluewater Bay #6)

Goodreads -- Amazon

For Ages 18+ (Language, Sensuality)
Male/Male Romance -- Contemporary

Riptide Publishing -- Published in February 2015
eARC, 226 pages
Read in March 2015
Received from Netgalley

THEMES
Anthology, Small Town Setting

SUMMARY
Cupid is visiting Bluewater Bay, and he’s leaving chaos in his wake.

Nothing’s been the same in this sleepy little logging town since Hollywood came to shoot the hit TV show Wolf’s Landing—especially Valentine’s Day.


MY THOUGHTS
I received a free copy of this book from Riptide Publishing via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I have been thoroughly enjoying my journey through Bluewater Bay, Washington, a small town that was invaded by Hollywood as the shooting location for a popular paranormal detective series.  It has been tons of fun to see the mix of L.A. smarts and small town values.  So now Riptide Publishing has given fans and newbies a treat by showing what happens when Valentine's Day arrives in Bluewater Bay.

"Just Another Day" by L.A. Witt
This is a sequel novella to the first book in the series, Starstruck.  Levi and Carter are one of my favorite Bluewater Bay couples and it was great to see how their relationship has developed.  In this story, Levi, who is a known Valentine's Day hater, is forced to deal with Carter's own opinions on the holiday.  I loved the character development that is shown in just a few short pages and the mature way that these two guys handled their differences.  That ending made me smile with happiness and, of course, I adored the cameos from Levi's cats, Link and Zelda. (4 STARS)

"I'll Be There" by Z.A. Maxfield
Another sequel that focuses on a favorite Bluewater Bay couple.  This time the focus shifts to Spencer and Nash from Hell on Wheels. The basic premise of this story is that Spencer is at a convention in Illinois and is overcome with his anxiety issues.  Nash is trying every way he can to get to him, but a powerful snow storm is thwarting his efforts.  This tale allowed readers to see how far Spencer has gotten with his anxiety and also gives some insight into his lack of comfort around some of his fans.  Plus it was great to see Nash's twin brother and all his geeky friends pull out the stop to help him get to Illinois. (3.5 STARS)

"No Easy Way" by S.E. Jakes
This was the longest of the stories, mostly due to the fact that it involves a new couple.  Reunion stories are always one of my favorites so I fell hard for Cary and Dylan.  I liked the way that they felt each other out, but just couldn't resist the chemistry between them.  Also, it was fun to see S.E. Jakes's military style in a small town romance. (3.5 STARS)

"Helping Hand" by Anne Tenino
When I first read this story, I was a little disappointed because we didn't get a happy ending.  But, I have since learned that Lucas and Gabriel will be getting their own story next month.  Yeah!!  What I liked best about this "falling for your brother's best friend" tale was the relationship between Lucas and his family.  His desire to go to art school and come out as gay throws his father for a loop, but things got resolved much better than I anticipated.  We get a small taste of romance, but this story is mostly about Lucas.  (3 STARS)

"Nascha" by Amy Lane
A unique story about an elderly Native American man who reminisces about his past lovers while bemoaning his battle with Alzheimer's.  Stories with the elderly always make me tear up and this was no exception.  I liked the way that the author formatted the flashbacks and also let us into Nascha's life.  Plus it was exciting to learn that Nascha's grand-nephew would also be taking center stage soon.  (3 STARS)

BOOKS IN THE SERIES
1. Starstruck
2. There's Something About Ari
3. Hell on Wheels
4. Lone Wolf
5. The Burnt Toast B&B
6. Lights, Camera, Cupid
7. Wedding Favors (Coming April 2015)
8. The Deep of the Sound (Coming June 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.