Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Tuesday, February 10, 2015

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Things I Like and Dislike When It Comes to Romance in Books


Hosted by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish.


WHAT I LIKE...

As You Desire (Braxton, #1) This Heart of Mine (Chicago Stars, #5) The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
1. Unrequited Love
My favorite theme of all!  I am just a sucker for someone finally getting a chance with the person they have had a crush on for years.

Devil in Winter (Wallflowers, #3) See Jane Score (Chinooks Hockey Team, #2) Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
2. Opposites Attract
These are so much fun to read.  They usually involve snarky banter and plenty of sexual tension.

For Darkness Shows the Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #1) Again The Magic (Wallflowers, #0.5) Dreams of a Dark Warrior (Immortals After Dark, #11)
3. Reunited Sweethearts
Just a sweet theme that always leaves me with a smile on my face.

Heaven, Texas (Chicago Stars, #2) A Summer to Remember (Bedwyn Prequels, #2) Isn't She Lovely (Redemption, #0.5)
4. Showmance to Romance
These are romances where the couple starts out "pretending" to be in love, be engaged, etc.  Of course, things always end up getting real and this causes drama!

Lord Perfect  (Carsington Brothers, #3) Amy and Roger's Epic Detour Driving Mr. Dead (Half Moon Hollow, #1.5)
5. Road Trip Romances
Another theme that causes fun and drama for the main characters.  It is always a blast to see strangers, friends, enemies have to work together towards a specific goal like getting to a destination.

WHAT I DISLIKE...
**Please note that I did not hate all the books that I am listing as examples**

Twilight (Twilight, #1) Down to You (The Bad Boys, #1) Lord of Temptation (The Lost Lords of Pembrook, #2)
6. Love Triangles
I actually don't mind this theme in principle, but it seems so overused nowadays that it has become a turn-off for me.

What a Wallflower Wants (Bad Boys & Wallflowers, #3) Royally Lost Fallen (Fallen, #1)
7. Insta-Love
I am (unfortunately) seeing more and more of this.  I need to have some appropriate development in the romances that I read.

Taking Chances (Taking Chances, #1) The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1) Never a Gentleman (The Drake's Rakes, #2)
8. Cheating
Ugh...if you want to know a theme that will make me stop reading a book or throw it across the room...cheating is it.  It makes me angry and I don't find it sexy at all.

Secrets of a Wedding Night (Secret Brides, #1) A Kiss of Lies (The Disgraced Lords, #1) Eden Burning
9. Big Misunderstandings
I like drama in my romance, but I get irritated when the whole basis for the conflict is the lack of communication between the characters.

The Rake (Lessons in Love Series #1) Forbidden (Medieval Series #2) A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, #2)
10. Seduction as Revenge
I read these on occasion though I don't always enjoy them.  I just don't like the idea of using romance or sex to take revenge on someone especially since the person being seduced isn't actually the person who injured the seducer.

6 comments:

  1. I love opposites attract and showmance too, wished I had that one on my list. I also can't stand cheating. It's such a huge character flaw and not one I am likely to overcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, yes, I don't like Big Misunderstandings, either! I didn't think of that, but I definitely dislike them. And seriously no to love triangles and cheating. Basically I agree and feel the same way about everything you wrote! We think alike, Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Showmance. I've never heard it called that. The Fake Mates is my favorite one (that's what I've always called it). It's so fun. With you on a lot of your no-go list. Insta-love for sure. I'm good with insta-lust to a degree but gah when it's 2 days and you're 'in love'. Yeah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the Fake Mates name too. I'm a big reality show fan so that's where showmance came from. I actually don't mind insta-lust either because that is definitely realistic, but declaring love after a few hours just makes me roll my eyes.

      Delete
  4. Road trip romance and opposites attract are adorable! I love that kind of romance! Cheating is horrible, and reading about it is awful. Love triangles are terrible, and insta-love as well. Wonderful list!
    http://books4ev.blogspot.com/2015/02/top-ten-things-i-likedislike-when-it.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wow! This has got to be my favorite list. You nailed it.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.