Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Tuesday, February 3, 2015

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Historical Romances I Can't Believe I Haven't Read Yet


Hosted by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish.

The Windflower
1. The Windflower by Laura London
It is considered a classic and I bought a copy when it was re-released last year.  I plan on reading it as part of the TBR Challenge this year.

Highland Destiny (Murray Family, #1)
2. Highland Destiny by Hannah Howell
I adore the Murray Family series, but still haven't read the book that started it all.

Revealed (The Blue Raven, #1)
3. Revealed by Kate Noble
Recommended by the ladies at Smexybooks.  It looks like tons of fun!

The Spymaster's Lady (Spymasters, #1)
4. The Spymaster's Lady by Joanna Bourne
I'm normally not a fan of romances with spies.  But, I've heard fabulous things about this book especially its heroine.

The Perils of Pleasure (Pennyroyal Green, #1)
5. The Perils of Pleasure by Julie Anne Long
I adored What I Did For a Duke and need to read the first Pennyroyal Green book.

The Secret (Highlands' Lairds, #1)
6. The Secret by Julie Garwood
Quinn at Quinn's Book Nook loves this book and I have been planning on trying it for awhile.

Thunder and Roses (Fallen Angels, #1)
7. Thunder and Roses by Mary Jo Putney
It is believed to have been a big part of starting the trend of series in historical romance.

The Flame and the Flower
8. The Flame and the Flower by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss
Known as one of the first historical romances, I need to read this so I can appreciate how far the genre has come.

Mistress 
9. Mistress by Amanda Quick
The premise of a heroine going "undercover" in the ton and then being discovered by the very aristocrat to whom she is pretending to be mistress sounds silly, but like a lot of fun.

Frederica
10. Anything by Georgette Heyer
She is considered by many to be the mother of Regency romance and I have never given one of her books a try.

10 comments:

  1. The Secret!!!!! Yes, yes, you have to read it. I just adore that book, but you already know that. I also did romance books I haven't read for this TTT, but decided to focus on fantasy more. I haven't read anything by Georgette Heyer, eitehr but I keep meaning to. I even own a few of hers. I also haven't read any Amanda Quick books either. I tend to just read the historical romance writers that I already know I love, but I'm trying to branch out. I just read a book my Manda Collins, but I wasn't in love. It was okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Historical romances are not my cup of tea but I want to try every genre. So will have to check out some of the ones you want to read.

    My top ten http://readingawaythedays.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/top-ten-tuesday-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read THE SECRET for the first time so many years ago. I've read it several times again since. Don't read too much romance any more, but this one - lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh the secret is just amazing!!! I own it, and I still like to re read it every now and then. Seriously...get it girl...you wont regret it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie Anne Long! I haven't read the first book in her Pennyroyal Green series, but I've read a few (including What I Did for a Duke) and really like her. I loved Amanda Quick a decade (ahem, or more) ago, but haven't reread any of her stuff. I should! Always adored Jayne Ann Krentz.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They all look good! I'm slowly starting to read adult romance. I was told to begin with Outlander. Hopefully we will fit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only ones I've read are the Mary Jo Putney, which is wonderful, and the Amanda Quick, which was fun. I have a signed copy of the Joanna Bourne book - like you, I've heard great things and I really need to get around to reading it! And Heyer, I need to try hers too. Good list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh oh! I've read Mistress. But that's the only one from the list. I have a few of them sitting on my shelf waiting for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried to read The Flame and the Flower. I couldn't get past the first 100 pages. I know it's a classic, but I thought it was just old skool at its worst. Maybe it gets better? But not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jennifer! My recommendations:
    Julie Anne Long rocks! You should definitely try her PennyRoyal Green series.
    Amanda Quick I like too, my favorite by her is The River Knows.
    Georgette Heyer..I've only read 4 books by her and the one I liked best and maybe you'll love too is Sylvester.
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.