Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Wednesday, February 18, 2015

2015 TBR CHALLENGE REVIEW: "Revealed" by Kate Noble


Revealed (The Blue Raven, #1)

Revealed by Kate Noble
For Ages 18+ (Language, Sensuality, Violence)
Historical Romance -- Regency England

Berkley -- Published in 2009
Paperback, 400 pages
Read in February 2015
Received from Paperback Swap

THEMES
Alpha Heroine, Beta Hero, Spies

SUMMARY
Phillippa Benning is the unrivaled beauty of the Season. But when another lady challenges her for a marquis's attentions, Phillippa entices him to a secret rendezvous-only to stumble upon The Blue Raven, England's most famous spy, lurking at the site of her planned tryst.

The Blue Raven has uncovered an enemy plot directed at upcoming society functions, but he's unable to infiltrate London society. Phillippa makes an offer: in exchange for entrée among the ton, he agrees to have his true identity revealed at the Benning Ball-guaranteeing her unrivaled notoriety. As the danger draws closer, the mysterious spy and Phillippa give in to mutual desire. But when the game turns deadly, betrayal waits around the corner, and Phillippa must decide once and for all-is it the myth that captured her heart, or the man?



FIRST LINE
"Everyone agreed that Mrs. Phillippa Benning was a beautiful young woman."

MY THOUGHTS
Read for the 2015 TBR Challenge--February--Recommended To You.  The challenge is hosted by Wendy the Super Librarian

Why I Chose It For My TBR Challenge Read: Revealed is a book that was recommended to me early in the my blogging days though I do not remember who mentioned it to me.  I got it back in 2012 and then it just sat on my shelf ever since.  I think the main reason that I was so hesitant was that it involved Regency-era spies which is not my favorite theme.  But, I am glad that I finally gave it a chance and am looking forward to reading more in this series.

The main thing that stood out to me in this book was the reversal of the usual dynamic found in historical romance with an alpha heroine and a beta hero.  At first, I was not a huge fan of Phillippa.  She is beautiful, charming, and completely obsessed with her status in English society.  Basically, she seems to be the Regency-era version of one of the Plastics from Mean Girls.  Then she accidentally meets up with Mr. Marcus Worth, an ordinary-looking man, and her entire outlook changes.  But, just because I say he is a beta hero does not mean that he is weak.  His work for the war effort is legendary and I really liked his character.

My favorite scenes involved Marcus and Phillippa interacting in order to figure out who is threatening major events in the Season.  These two are an example of characters that are enhanced by their growing relationship with one another.  Marcus becomes more confident at societal events and Phillippa begins to revisit some personality traits from before her marriage.  They just work so well as a couple that I was always disappointed when they were apart.

The big mystery of Revealed involves a French spy who was thought to have been killed by the mysterious Blue Raven yet seems to have resurrected and is threatening to destroy the English from inside London.  As I mentioned, I have gotten bored with the spy theme, but I actually liked the balance of this subplot and the romance.  Things are not completely resolved by the end and it makes me want to read the rest of the series sooner rather than later.

All in all, I am glad that finally gave this book a chance.  So I am now 2 for 2 on pulling books that have been on my TBR shelf for years and that makes me even more excited to find more gems with the 2015 TBR Challenge.

4 STARS


STEAM LEVEL
Flush -- Detailed descriptions of lovemaking though nothing overly graphic.

FAVORITE QUOTE
"It's just me."

BOOKS IN THE SERIES
1. Revealed
2. The Summer of You
3. Follow My Lead
4. If I Fall
4.5. The Dress of the Season
5. Let It Be Me

6 comments:

  1. I've been curious about this one, too, but I wasn't sure if I would like it. Phillippa seems like she is annoying. But maybe it's worth it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is annoying at the beginning, but that is intentional. Her growth was a real highlight for me. I've seen people compare Kate Noble to Tessa Dare which intrigues me. I have only read this one by her, but I can see some style similarities.

      Delete
  2. I love this one so much. It takes everything I hate in a Regency and makes it awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like this pair is unique, and I haven't read Kate Noble yet, but it sounds like she is a author I would like reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds interesting, and a usually enjoy when the expectations of 'dominance' are flipped.

    I have a couple of Ms Noble's books in the TBR--one of them since 2009!

    I really need to grab one of them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Commenting rather late here...

    I really liked this: These two are an example of characters that are enhanced by their growing relationship with one another. [...] They just work so well as a couple that I was always disappointed when they were apart."

    I really like when I see a couple gaining maturity individually and as a couple through their relationship. This makes me believe strongly in their HEA.

    Which brings me to my question: Does this book have a HFN or an actual HEA?

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.