Wednesday, February 4, 2015

REVIEW: "Trade Me" by Courtney Milan


Trade Me (Cyclone, #1)
Trade Me by Courtney Milan
For Ages 17+ (Language, Sensuality)
New Adult -- Contemporary

Self-Published -- Published on January 19, 2015
eARC, 279 pages
Read in January 2015
Received from Netgalley

THEMES
Beta Hero, Brainy Heroine, Dual Points of View

SUMMARY
Tina Chen just wants a degree and a job, so her parents never have to worry about making rent again. She has no time for Blake Reynolds, the sexy billionaire who stands to inherit Cyclone Technology. But when he makes an off-hand comment about what it means to be poor, she loses her cool and tells him he couldn’t last a month living her life.

To her shock, Blake offers her a trade: She’ll get his income, his house, his car. In exchange, he’ll work her hours and send money home to her family. No expectations; no future obligations.

But before long, they’re trading not just lives, but secrets, kisses, and heated nights together. No expectations might break Tina’s heart...but Blake’s secrets could ruin her life.



FIRST LINE
"Today is going to be a good day."

MY THOUGHTS
Anyone who reads my blog knows that I love Courtney Milan's historical romances.  She is the epitome of an auto-buy author for me so, when she decided to try her hand at NA romance, I knew I had to give Trade Me a try.  And I really liked it!  It wasn't as good as her historicals, but I see potential and look forward to seeing what she can do with the series as it develops.

Things get started with Tina Chen, a college student, whose seemingly perfect day is ruined when she gets mud on her favorite sweater and then she gets into a sociological debate with the heir to a high-profile technology company in class.  For his part, Blake Reynolds is taken aback when a fellow student begins arguing with him especially when she bets him that he wouldn't last a month living like she does.  Blake then takes Tina up on her offer and, in the midst of working together to handle the trade, they begin to have untimely feelings for one another.

I really enjoyed both characters.  Blake is so much more than the sexy billionaire that he first appeared to be.  While he has led a privileged life (economically speaking), he has demons that he continues to struggle with.  I thought it was refreshing for Courtney Milan to give Blake such a problem that isn't often given to heroes.  I also enjoyed how willing he was to learn how Tina lived and to figure out what he really wanted in life.  Tina took some time to get to like due to her defensive state at the beginning.  But, I quickly warmed up to her after seeing how hard she worked and how much she ended up caring for Blake.

I also loved the side characters that were introduced in this book.  I am especially excited to see Tina's best friend and roommate, Maria, get her story next!  And I was surprised at how much I ended up liking Blake's overbearing father, Adam.  This father-son relationship was very different, but well-written.

The main reason why I didn't give Trade Me a higher rating was due to the pacing in the latter half of the book.  I was loving the development of Blake and Tina's partnership into friendship and eventually more.  I also liked the way everything was moving towards the launch of Cyclone's newest product.  But, then the plot got a little out of control and I was left a little confused at how we ended up where we did.

That being said, I had a good time reading Trade Me and was impressed with how Courtney Milan was able to transfer her historical romance writing style to NA.  And I will continue to read everything this woman writes.

I received a free copy of this book from Courtney Milan via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
3.5 STARS


STEAM LEVEL
Flush -- Detailed descriptions of lovemaking though nothing overly graphic.

BOOKS IN THE SERIES
1. Trade Me
2. Hold Me (Coming Soon)
3. Find Me (Coming Soon)

3 comments:

  1. Yes! Like you, Courtney Milan is an auto-buy (or auto-read if I'm hitting up the library), so I made sure I got this one. For Courtney Milan, I will try it. I still haven't gotten around to reading it yet, but I'm excited for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you like Courtney Milan so much, and I still need to read her books. I've heard wonderful about her historical romances, from you of course, but others too. I'm not sure if I would love this NA, but I might give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very curious about how Courtney Milan's writing translates to contemporary. Great review! Will try this book out.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.