Monday, February 9, 2015

REVIEW: "Magic Burns" by Ilona Andrews


Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2)
Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews
For Ages 18+ (Violence, Language)
Urban Fantasy

Penguin -- Published in 2008
Ebook, 272 pages
Read in February 2015
Borrowed from Library

THEMES
Kick-Ass Heroine, Alpha Hero, Supernatural Mix

SUMMARY
Down in Atlanta, tempers – and temperatures – are about to flare…

As a mercenary who cleans up after magic gone wrong, Kate Daniels has seen her share of occupational hazards. Normally, waves of paranormal energy ebb and flow across Atlanta like a tide. But once every seven years, a flare comes, a time when magic runs rampant. Now Kate’s going to have to deal with problems on a much bigger scale: a divine one.

When Kate sets out to retrieve a set of stolen maps for the Pack, Atlanta’s paramilitary clan of shapeshifters, she quickly realizes much more at stake. During a flare, gods and goddesses can manifest – and battle for power. The stolen maps are only the opening gambit in an epic tug-of-war between two gods hoping for rebirth. And if Kate can’t stop the cataclysmic showdown, the city may not survive…



FIRST LINE
"The phone rang in the middle of the night."

MY THOUGHTS
I finally started the Kate Daniels series last month with Magic Bites and now I find myself racing through the rest of the series.  I knew I would enjoy the ride, but I didn't know that I would get this hooked this quickly.

In Magic Burns, Kate Daniels is asked, as a part-time agent for the Knights of the Order of Merciful Aid, to help the Atlanta-based Pack recover a series of stolen maps.  This mission is just the beginning of an adventure that has Kate facing enemies that are suspiciously god-like in their power and their personality.  Thankfully, she is aided by the Pack and some of her new friends.

The true heart of this series is obviously Kate who has already grown up so much since the first book.  She is snarky, impulsive, and prone to getting into trouble, but the depth of her heart is shown especially when she meets the lost child, Julie.  I also enjoyed learning more about her background and her family history.  As readers, we can tell that she is hiding something big from everyone around her and I have suspicions so I'm interested to see when we will get the whole truth.

Like any great urban fantasy series, there is a growing cast of characters.  Magic Burns continues to showcase the sexy Curran, who knows how to keep Kate on her toes, Derek a werewolf whose pretty face hides his true strength, and Jim, Kate's fellow mercenary and head of security for the pack.  I also loved the introduction of Andrea, an Order member who is a genius with firearms and is hiding a big secret.  I think Kate is seriously lacking in female companionship and I hope the Andrea/Kate friendship is expanded as the serious progresses.

This alternate version of Atlanta is expanded even more in this book.  Because the author has already introduced the bigger details, readers get to know more about the magic waves, where they come from, and the damage they cause.  There are also is more information given about the Pack dynamics which will (obviously) come in handy later.

All in all, I liked Magic Burns more than its prequel.  I felt more comfortable with the world and am already starting to see the characters as friends I want to learn more about.  Kate is a hella of a heroine and I look forward to seeing her develop even more.  On to the next book!

4.5 STARS


STEAM LEVEL
Blush -- Kisses with no/minor touching.

FAVORITE QUOTE
"You have the Pack. You’re surrounded by people who would fall over themselves for the pleasure of your company. I have no one. My parents are dead, my entire family is gone. I have no friends. Except Jim, and that’s more of a working relationship than anything else. I have no lover. I can’t even have a pet, because I’m not at the house often enough to keep it from starving. When I come crawling home, bleeding and filthy and exhausted, the house is dark and empty. Nobody keeps the porch light on for me. Nobody hugs me and says, ‘Hey, I’m glad you made it. I’m glad you’re okay. I was worried.’ Nobody cares if I live or die. Nobody makes me coffee, nobody holds me before I go to bed, nobody fixes my medicine when I’m sick. I’m by myself.”


BOOKS IN THE SERIES
0.5. A Questionable Client
1. Magic Bites
2. Magic Burns
3. Magic Strikes
3.5. Magic Mourns
4. Magic Bleeds
4.5. Magic Dreams
5. Magic Slays
5.5. Gunmetal Magic
6. Magic Rises
6.5. Magic Steals
7. Magic Breaks
8. Magic Shifts (Coming 2015)

2 comments:

  1. I've heard such wonderful things about Ilona Andrews. I usually don't care much for paranormal romance adult books, but I'm thinking I should give these a shot.

    So glad you are loving this series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a few novellas out there from Andrews so you might give those a try to see if you like the style. A Questionable Client is the prequel to the Kate Daniels series and can be found in the Magic Graves anthology with Jeaniene Frost. I am seriously falling in love with this series...almost done with #4 now!

      Delete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.