Wednesday, February 25, 2015

REVIEW: "Magic Bleeds" by Ilona Andrews

Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
Magic Bleeds by Ilona Andrews
For Ages 18+ (Language, Violence, Sensuality)
Urban Fantasy

Ace -- Published in 2010
Ebook, 388 pages
Read in February 2015
Borrowed from library

THEMES
Kick-Ass Heroine, Alternate Universe, Mythology

SUMMARY
Atlanta would be a nice place to live, if it weren't for the magic. When the magic is up, rogue mages cast their spells and monsters appear, while guns refuse to fire and cars fail to start. But then technology returns, and the magic recedes as unpredictably as it arose.

Kate Daniels works for the Order of Knights of Merciful Aid, officially as a liaison with the mercenary guild. Unofficially, she cleans up the paranormal problems no one else wants to handle - especially if they involve Atlanta's shapeshifting community. When she's called in to investigate a fight at the Steel Horse, a bar on the border between the territories of the shapeshifters and the necromancers, Kate quickly discovers that there's a new player in town. One who's been around for thousands of years - and who rode to war at the side of Kate's father. This foe may be too much even for Kate and Curran, the Beast Lord, to handle. Because this time Kate will be taking on family.


FIRST LINE
"No matter how carefully I patted the chopped apples into place, the top crust of my apple pie always looked like I'd tried to bury a dismembered body under it."

MY THOUGHTS
The last time that readers saw mercenary and part-time worker for the Knights of Merciful Aid, Kate Daniels, she was preparing a fancy dinner for the irritatingly sexy Beast Lord, Curran.  Unfortunately, for her, life never end up the way she expected and she is left sitting in her house alone for hours without a word from her date.  This situation eventually causes her to shut down any other attempts at a relationship with Curran.  Things get even more complicated when she is assigned to investigate a bar fight gone wrong that gives off serious supernatural vibes.

I absolutely loved this book!  Magic Bleeds is my favorite of the series so far and that is due to the continued development of Kate, the complex "relationship" between Curran and Kate, and the Big Bad that comes to visit Atlanta.  The supernatural world of this series is elaborate, violent, and always providing readers with something new and dangerous.  I especially enjoyed the way that the villain reveals some pretty big information regarding Kate's past.

As always, the glue that holds this book together is the character of Kate.  She is still strong, impulsive, and independent to a fault, but Magic Bleeds shows a more vulnerable side to her.  Her disastrous non-date with Curran forces her to shut down any warmth she had with him and she becomes determined not to let anyone else into her heart.  I loved this element of her character development since it gave readers more ways to relate to her despite our own lack of supernatural powers and a kick-ass sword like Slayer.

Kate is amazing, but this series also wouldn't be as captivating if it wasn't for the supporting cast.  Curran, of course, continues making a significant impact on both the storyline and Kate's daily life.  I just love everything about that slightly insane, but kind-hearted werelion!  I also enjoy getting to see the rest of Kate's little "family" she has created since the first book especially Andrea, Derek, Julie, and, in a weird way, Saiman.  It is easy to see that Kate has spent much of her life trying to avoid connections, but her generous nature has finally gotten the best of her.

I wish I could say more about this amazing book, but I'm afraid that I will spoil something for a future reader.  I will just end the review by recommending this series once again.  I was hesitant at first, but this has turned into quite a ride.  On to the next installment!!


5 STARS


FAVORITE QUOTE
I surveyed the rest of the Council and looked directly at Mahon, "Some of you know me.  Some of you have seen me fight and some of you are my friends.  Have your vote.  But know this: if you come to remove me, come in force, because if you try to separate me from him, I will kill every single one of you.  My hand won't shake.  My aim won't falter.  My face will be the last thing you'll see before you die."  I jammed the knife into the table and walked out.


BOOKS IN THE SERIES
0.5. A Questionable Client
1. Magic Bites
2. Magic Burns
3. Magic Strikes
3.5. Magic Mourns
4. Magic Bleeds
4.5. Magic Dreams
5. Magic Slays
5.5. Gunmetal Magic
6. Magic Rises
6.5. Magic Steals
7. Magic Breaks
8. Magic Shifts (Coming 2015)

3 comments:

  1. I always hear such great things about these books, but I'm not sure I would enjoy them. But I'm glad you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really liking Kate too!! I just finished book two, and even though I got book four from the library, the third won't be available for along while, so I am thinking of buying that, and this is a series I would like to read in order. And the whole tension between Kate and Curran just keeps getting better. I can't wait to read more from this author. Great review. And that quote...awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *girly sigh* he really is a great werelion. Totally had me falling for kitty shifters. I so miss these two. I have the last one still to read. Just gotta find the time :)

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.