Monday, January 19, 2015

REVIEW: "If the Viscount Falls" by Sabrina Jeffries


If the Viscount Falls (The Duke's Men, #4)
If the Viscount Falls by Sabrina Jeffries
For Ages 18+ (Language, Sensuality)
Historical Romance -- Regency England

Pocket Books -- Expected Publication: January 27, 2015
Ebook, 416 pages
Read in January 2015
Received from Netgalley

THEMES
Alpha Hero, Tortured Hero, Reunited Couple

SUMMARY
The heir presumptive to the Viscount Rathmoor, Dominick Manton once had his heart’s desire within reach—a bright future as a barrister and engagement to Jane Vernon, a wealthy baron’s daughter. Then a shattering betrayal by his vindictive brother George snatched away Dom’s inheritance and his hopes of offering Jane a secure future. Brokenhearted, and attempting to end their engagement without destroying Jane’s reputation, Dom staged a betrayal of his own to convince her that he’s not the husband-to-be that she thought.

Now George is gone and the viscountcy restored to Dom, since his brother’s widow, Nancy—Jane’s cousin and closest confidant—never bore an heir. But when Nancy goes missing, a panicked Jane calls on her former fiancĂ© to track down her cousin. Dom knows the mistakes of the past may be unforgiveable—but now, entangled together in mystery and danger, will they rekindle a passionate longing that was never lost to begin with?



FIRST LINE
"Dominick Manton had never expected to spend his twentieth birthday peering covertly through open terrace doors into the Earl of Blakeborough's ballroom."

MY THOUGHTS
Warning!  This review contains minor spoilers for earlier books in this series.

If the Viscount Falls is the conclusion to Sabrina Jeffries's Duke's Men series and it definitely the best of them all.  Over the past few books, readers have gotten to know a little about Dominick Manton, the leader of Manton Investigations and now we get to see him reunite with his former betrothed and get the happy ending he deserved.

Dominick has been a dominant personality for much of this series and it was great to see him take center stage.  His life changed completely when his father died and his brother disinherited him for helping his illegitimate family escape his wrath.  In addition to figuring out a new way to live, Dom was forced to give up his betrothed, Jane, despite the fact that he remained in love with her.  All these situations forced him to be distrusting of anyone and determined to remain in control.  He definitely had some alpha jerk moments, but they were easy to understand based on his past.

As to Jane, I really liked her!  She was probably my favorite heroine of the series with her intelligence and protective nature.  I enjoyed seeing how much she kept Dom on his toes and that she required that he respect her decisions rather than just making demands.  Her own past is revealed which explains why she felt so betrayed by Dom's actions years ago.

Dom and Jane were a couple whose chemistry was obvious from the beginning.  They had fallen in love so young, but they were so well-matched that it wasn't difficult to believe that they would still have those feelings.  There were definitely some issues that they needed to deal with like Dom always making demands and Jane's inability to tell him the whole truth about her cousin's disappearance, but they were taken care of in a pretty timely manner.  Their attempt to discover Jane's cousin's (and Dom's sister-in-law) whereabouts forced them to interact more and learn that they still work as a couple.

There are quite a few cameos from previous Sabrina Jeffries books especially the earlier Duke's Men couples like Lisette/Max.  I also enjoyed the minor appearance of Spencer from Married to a Viscount, my first Jeffries romance.  And, of course, I can't forget about Skrimshaw, Dom's theater-loving butler.  I also am excited to be introduced to some other characters that I think will be taken for a ride in her new series especially the stoic Earl of Blakeborough.

All in all, I enjoyed If the Viscount Falls and am happy with the way that it ended the series.  Dom and Jane were easy to characters to like and I was rooting for them to finally get back together.  I look forward to reading whatever Ms. Jeffries comes up with next.

I received a free copy of this book from Pocket Books via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

4 STARS

STEAM LEVEL
Flush -- Detailed descriptions of lovemaking though nothing overly graphic.

FAVORITE QUOTE
"Leaving you was the biggest mistake I ever made," he said earnestly.  "I once told you I would do it again, given the chance.  But I was lying, to myself as well as you.  I could never do it again.  Certainly not now that I know what it's like to have you for my own.  You have no idea how much I've missed you all these years."

BOOKS IN THE SERIES
0.5. Twas the Night After Christmas
1. What the Duke Desires
2. When the Rogue Returns
2.5. Dorinda and the Doctor
3. How the Scoundrel Seduces
4. If the Viscount Falls

2 comments:

  1. I keep thinking that I need to read something by Sabrina Jeffries. I'm always so wary to try out a new author. I don't know why. This definitely seems interesting. I don't always love reunited couples, because sometimes I think they are sort of sad, even with the HEA. But I 'm tempted to read this one. I'm glad the series ended well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book too! Jane was definitely a strong heroine, she needed to be with Dom!

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.