Friday, January 23, 2015

REVIEW: "Flirting with Disaster" by Victoria Dahl

Flirting with Disaster (Jackson: Girl's Night Out, #2)
Flirting with Disaster by Victoria Dahl
(Jackson: Girls' Night Out #2)

Goodreads -- Amazon -- Book Depository
Author Website

For Ages 18+ (Language, Sensuality)
Contemporary Romance

Harlequin -- Expected Publication: January 27, 2015
Ebook, 384 pages
Read in January 2015
Received from Netgalley

THEMES
Small Town Setting

SUMMARY
Artist Isabelle West has good reasons for preferring a solitary life. Tucked away in a cabin in the woods, she has everything she needs . . . except a red-hot love life. That is, until a hard-bodied U.S. marshal threatens to unearth secrets she's spent years protecting. But giving in to the sparks flying between them can only lead to one thing…disaster.

Tom Duncan lives by the letter of the law. But no one has tempted him—or confused him—more than free-spirited Isabelle, who arouses his suspicion and his desire. As their connection grows, and their nights get hotter, they find their wild attraction might shake everything he stands for—and expose everything she has to hide.


FIRST LINE
"Isabelle West edged her SUV up the steep driveway and winced as she heard a grocery bag tip over."

MY THOUGHTS
Flirting with Disaster is a sexy and fun romance between two characters who meet up thanks to a difficult situation.  Tom Duncan is a U.S. Marshal who is assigned to protect a judge on a high profile murder case in Jackson.  Isabelle West is a mysterious artist that lives down the road from the judge and meets Tom while he is on reconnaissance.  What follows is a series of entertaining moments with Tom and Isabelle fighting their attraction, then giving in, and eventually dealing with the fact that they were both hiding things from one another.

Tom and Isabelle were just delights to read about.  I loved how mature Tom was when it came to both his job and his relationship with Isabelle.  I usually hate when characters keep important facts hidden from others for long periods of time, but I understood his reasoning.  It is always fun to have a hero that is both a protector and a cuddler.  Isabelle was also likable with her medical art career and her determination to live a normal life despite her past.  She reacted to most situations in a mature fashion as well and I also appreciated her quirky personality.

The reason that this did not get a higher rating from me was the latter third of the book.  Everything was moving along at a decent pace and the characters were developing nicely.  Then, a ton of things changed and we were subject to a time jump that threw me off.  I really was enjoying the story, but I was not a fan of the change in pace.

But, for the most part, I had a lot of fun reading Flirting with Disaster.  The ladies of Jackson were all really fun to see again especially librarian Lauren and advice columnist Veronica who I believe is getting her own story next.  I definitely recommend this series for fans of steamy contemporary romance with a nice balance of humor and drama.

I received a free copy of this book from Harlequin via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.


3.5 STARS

STEAM LEVEL
Fever -- Definitely graphic, but still emotional descriptions.

BOOKS IN THE SERIES
0.5. Fanning the Flames
1. Looking for Trouble
2. Flirting with Disaster
3. Taking the Heat (Coming Summer 2015)

5 comments:

  1. Oh I have felt her pain when the groceries have done that. lol

    I just read one that did some weird time jumps. It was really jarring and took me some adjusting too. Shame when that happens. This one sounds good though. She's one I've been meaning to try out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would like her. This one isn't as dirty as some of her others, but it was enjoyable just the same.

      Delete
  2. I'm surprised you read this one, because I didn't think you enjoyed contemporary romance that much. I haven't read anything by Victoria Dahl, but she is definitely an author I want to look into. I love heroes who are cuddlers and protectors and aren't all angsty. That's why I love so many of Lori Foster's heroes. Dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right that I don't usually gravitate towards contemporaries. But, I became a fan of Victoria Dahl when she wrote historicals (big surprise!) and I moved with her to contemporaries. I think you would enjoy this series especially because a lot of the characters are librarians! The prequel novella (Fanning the Flames) would be a good example to try it out.

      Delete
  3. That prequel novella was one of my favorite reads of 2014. I didn't request this one from NG because I reviewed the last one, but I'm Sur eill pick it up when it goes on sale. Victoria Dahl is a long-time favorite of mine and I haven't even read her historicals. I keep meaning to go back to them, but never seem to find the time. Anyway, another great review. You just bumped it up in priority with your description of the hero. Love that protector + cuddle idea.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.